Home Farm Fishery, Little Walden

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Decided to do something a little different today, rather than just pitch up and start fishing.

I'd posted earlier in the week regarding baits and techniques to try to target the bigger fish in a new commercial that I visited last week, and planned to re-visit this weekend. Having spent 5 hours catching mainly micro fish last Saturday, I was keen to try to filter some of these out and seek out the F1/Carp population. The lake is well-stocked with both, with an average stamp of 2-3lb.

I also wanted to get some more hours on the books with my new MTX pole. I have the nucleus of a plan developing in my head to start some (very) low-level match fishing next year. and being an absolute novice in most angling disciplines, and particularly pole fishing, I feel that this is a key area upon which I need to focus.

So in response to my plea for guidance, I had received some advice and suggestions from several forum members, and I decided to conduct an experiment. I decided to fish today as if I was fishing a match. Arrived at 0815hrs, and gave myself until 0930 to set up and get ready. The temperature was 8 degrees with a light easterly breeze, no frost last night and a few degrees warmer than the last couple of days. I'd selected a peg on the far bank with the breeze into me.

The plan was to fish until 1430, simulating a 5 hour match. Now I have no keepnets as yet, so I wouldn't be weighing my total catch, but I had my scales so by weighing the bigger fish that I would hopefully be catching I hoped to get some sort of idea of how I did.

Now an hour and a quarter to set up seems like a long time. 75 minutes. Nearly as long as a football match. Bloody hell it goes quick when you're a novice and trying to get everything ready.

I set the box up, mixed some groundbait, soaked the pellets, put the pole roller up, set the pole up, got the cupping kit sorted, got my side tray attached, got my baits out, realised I need a bigger sidetray, set up a feeder rod, started to plumb up the pole at 5m straight and left, 11m straight and left, realised that as there was very little difference (6 inches deeper at 11m) I could just mark the depth on the topkit for the 5m line and move the float up and down as I rotated swims, meaning I could use the same topkit for all four swims, replaced the hooklength on the match kit as it looked a bit scruffy after last session, clipped up the feeder rod to the island about 30 yards away...........and breathe.

It was now 0920, so I had 10 mins until my virtual 'all-in'. Went for a comfort break, poured myself a coffee and tried to think what I'd forgotten, realised I had no hooklength on the feeder rod, fitted hooklenght to feeder rod, realised I'd left the groundbait and pellets 10 yards away, retrieved said groundbait and pellets, confirmed that my sidetray is nowhere near big enough, cursed as the alarm on my watch sounded to indicate that I had 2 minutes until 0930.

Baits were as follows, red maggots, dead red maggots (first time I've used these, killed them myself this morning), 2mm micro pellets, Betaine green Swim Stim groundbait, Sonubaits 4mm pro-expanders, sweetcorn.

As the hooter sounded (in my head), I cupped in a small ball of pellets on my 5m left line, and a small ball of green groundbait on the 5m straight line, attached an expander, and shipped out to the pellet line. Set my rig in over the pellets, and got ready for the action. A couple of minor indications, a couple of lift and drops, but after 10 minutes nothing had materialised.

Switched hookbait to 2 dead reds, and switched to the groundbait line. Within a minute of the rig settling I was hooked into my first fish, the red elastic streamed out and one of the small carp was destined for the net. Weighed it in the net at 2lb 2oz (remembering to weigh the net on its own and make the adjustment). A great start I thought. Dead reds replaced, back out, and a few minutes later another one virtually the same was making its way bankside. I was starting to enjoy myself. 20 minutes in, no microfish, 2 carp, estimated 4lb in the net, all was good in the world.

In the first hour I counted 4 more small carp, so around 12lb ish. I'd gone back on the pellet line a couple of times to no avail, although I did miss a bite so I was more than happy to keep rotating it. I'd dropped in another ball of green stuff on the straight line, but had potted in a few micros and expanders on the pellet line due to the relative lack of action.

Then came my fish of the day, on the pellet line at 5m, which had been by far the quieter of the two, the float buried and I lifted into the bite, immediately I realised it was a bit bigger. Carefully shipped back to the topkit, red elastic streaming out, so for the first time ever I used the side puller. A couple of minutes later, I was unhooking and weighing a 7lb 9oz common (adjusted for the weight of the net), and I was absoluteley buzzing!!!

This was followed up almost immediately by a small F1 of just under a pound, and a small micro perch. So I fed some more pellets and went back on the other 5m line, however other than a small carp of a pound it had gone rather quiet.

Decided to mix it up a bit and try the feeder to the island. I fancied a coffee to be honest, and the feeder would give me the opportunity to go hands free for a while. The next 90 minutes were a bit hit and miss, a fair few indications, but just 3 takes, each of which resulted in a 2lb common adding to the tally. (We wont mention the 10 minutes that were wasted when my first cast sent the method feeder too close to the island, got snagged and lost the lot trying to retrieve it, and had to re-tackle with a pellet feeder ?)

So with just under 2 hours to go, I switched back to the pole, and fed both my 11m swims, pellets to the left and green stuff straight in front. Remembered to slide the float up by 6 inches to account for the additional depth), and spent the next hour regularly hooking into the resident 2-3lb carp. Oddly, the pellet line was more profitable than the groundbait and dead reds line at 11m , in contrast to the 5m lines from earlier. Highlight of this part of the day was a couple of 4lbers, however by this stage of the day my expectations had been well and truly exceeded. I was having a lot of fun working things out, feeding, hitting bites, landing fish, and pretending I was in the Fishomania final.

All too soon the alarm on my watch sounded the virtual all-out, ( I was gutted not to be playing a fish at the time, I may have shouted 'fish-on' just for the hell of it) and I shipped back in for the last time. I sat on my box for a few minutes and wondered where the last 5 hours had disappeared to.

I think I had somewhere between 40 - 50lb of fish, although this is to a certain extent based on estimates. I weighed the bigger ones that I caught, but not all of the smaller carp. Regardless, I had succeeded in my objective to target the net fish, and avoid the swing to hand inhabitants of the lake. I would also say that it's by far my most prolific day of fishing since my recent return to the sport.

As I packed up I came to the conclusion that I'd really enjoyed the experiment. I've played competitive sport since i was very young, football, cricket, golf, so I guess I thrive on a competitive element to my hobbies. Maybe match fishing could become a new hobby whilst scratching my competitive itch?

I undoubtedly need to improve my angling skills, I definitely need to get quicker in general, particularly unhooking, I think I lost quite a bit of time with this, and I've developed a really nasty habit of hooking myself in the finger whilst removing the hook from the fishes mouth, but I'd like to think that the basics are coming along, and that at some stage I could enter a club match without making a complete clown of myself.

The advice I got was all good, thanks to everyone that responded, particularly @chefster and @Neil ofthe nene , both the pellet/expander and groundbait/dead red maggot tactics worked very well ?????

So as per the end of most of my write-ups, I'm sitting at home with a bottle of red, in this case a lovely South African Pinot Noir to which I've recently become rather partial. I had a lot of fun today and I learned a huge amount. Even if I was match fishing against no-one else, I still had what I consider to be a pretty successful day. And no, I didn't jump into the lake in celebration of winning........

Thanks for reading

Stewie

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Decided to do something a little different today, rather than just pitch up and start fishing.

I'd posted earlier in the week regarding baits and techniques to try to target the bigger fish in a new commercial that I visited last week, and planned to re-visit this weekend. Having spent 5 hours catching mainly micro fish last Saturday, I was keen to try to filter some of these out and seek out the F1/Carp population. The lake is well-stocked with both, with an average stamp of 2-3lb.

I also wanted to get some more hours on the books with my new MTX pole. I have the nucleus of a plan developing in my head to start some (very) low-level match fishing next year. and being an absolute novice in most angling disciplines, and particularly pole fishing, I feel that this is a key area upon which I need to focus.

So in response to my plea for guidance, I had received some advice and suggestions from several forum members, and I decided to conduct an experiment. I decided to fish today as if I was fishing a match. Arrived at 0815hrs, and gave myself until 0930 to set up and get ready. The temperature was 8 degrees with a light easterly breeze, no frost last night and a few degrees warmer than the last couple of days. I'd selected a peg on the far bank with the breeze into me.

The plan was to fish until 1430, simulating a 5 hour match. Now I have no keepnets as yet, so I wouldn't be weighing my total catch, but I had my scales so by weighing the bigger fish that I would hopefully be catching I hoped to get some sort of idea of how I did.

Now an hour and a quarter to set up seems like a long time. 75 minutes. Nearly as long as a football match. Bloody hell it goes quick when you're a novice and trying to get everything ready.

I set the box up, mixed some groundbait, soaked the pellets, put the pole roller up, set the pole up, got the cupping kit sorted, got my side tray attached, got my baits out, realised I need a bigger sidetray, set up a feeder rod, started to plumb up the pole at 5m straight and left, 11m straight and left, realised that as there was very little difference (6 inches deeper at 11m) I could just mark the depth on the topkit for the 5m line and move the float up and down as I rotated swims, meaning I could use the same topkit for all four swims, replaced the hooklength on the match kit as it looked a bit scruffy after last session, clipped up the feeder rod to the island about 30 yards away...........and breathe.

It was now 0920, so I had 10 mins until my virtual 'all-in'. Went for a comfort break, poured myself a coffee and tried to think what I'd forgotten, realised I had no hooklength on the feeder rod, fitted hooklenght to feeder rod, realised I'd left the groundbait and pellets 10 yards away, retrieved said groundbait and pellets, confirmed that my sidetray is nowhere near big enough, cursed as the alarm on my watch sounded to indicate that I had 2 minutes until 0930.

Baits were as follows, red maggots, dead red maggots (first time I've used these, killed them myself this morning), 2mm micro pellets, Betaine green Swim Stim groundbait, Sonubaits 4mm pro-expanders, sweetcorn.

As the hooter sounded (in my head), I cupped in a small ball of pellets on my 5m left line, and a small ball of green groundbait on the 5m straight line, attached an expander, and shipped out to the pellet line. Set my rig in over the pellets, and got ready for the action. A couple of minor indications, a couple of lift and drops, but after 10 minutes nothing had materialised.

Switched hookbait to 2 dead reds, and switched to the groundbait line. Within a minute of the rig settling I was hooked into my first fish, the red elastic streamed out and one of the small carp was destined for the net. Weighed it in the net at 2lb 2oz (remembering to weigh the net on its own and make the adjustment). A great start I thought. Dead reds replaced, back out, and a few minutes later another one virtually the same was making its way bankside. I was starting to enjoy myself. 20 minutes in, no microfish, 2 carp, estimated 4lb in the net, all was good in the world.

In the first hour I counted 4 more small carp, so around 12lb ish. I'd gone back on the pellet line a couple of times to no avail, although I did miss a bite so I was more than happy to keep rotating it. I'd dropped in another ball of green stuff on the straight line, but had potted in a few micros and expanders on the pellet line due to the relative lack of action.

Then came my fish of the day, on the pellet line at 5m, which had been by far the quieter of the two, the float buried and I lifted into the bite, immediately I realised it was a bit bigger. Carefully shipped back to the topkit, red elastic streaming out, so for the first time ever I used the side puller. A couple of minutes later, I was unhooking and weighing a 7lb 9oz common (adjusted for the weight of the net), and I was absoluteley buzzing!!!

This was followed up almost immediately by a small F1 of just under a pound, and a small micro perch. So I fed some more pellets and went back on the other 5m line, however other than a small carp of a pound it had gone rather quiet.

Decided to mix it up a bit and try the feeder to the island. I fancied a coffee to be honest, and the feeder would give me the opportunity to go hands free for a while. The next 90 minutes were a bit hit and miss, a fair few indications, but just 3 takes, each of which resulted in a 2lb common adding to the tally. (We wont mention the 10 minutes that were wasted when my first cast sent the method feeder too close to the island, got snagged and lost the lot trying to retrieve it, and had to re-tackle with a pellet feeder ?)

So with just under 2 hours to go, I switched back to the pole, and fed both my 11m swims, pellets to the left and green stuff straight in front. Remembered to slide the float up by 6 inches to account for the additional depth), and spent the next hour regularly hooking into the resident 2-3lb carp. Oddly, the pellet line was more profitable than the groundbait and dead reds line at 11m , in contrast to the 5m lines from earlier. Highlight of this part of the day was a couple of 4lbers, however by this stage of the day my expectations had been well and truly exceeded. I was having a lot of fun working things out, feeding, hitting bites, landing fish, and pretending I was in the Fishomania final.

All too soon the alarm on my watch sounded the virtual all-out, ( I was gutted not to be playing a fish at the time, I may have shouted 'fish-on' just for the hell of it) and I shipped back in for the last time. I sat on my box for a few minutes and wondered where the last 5 hours had disappeared to.

I think I had somewhere between 40 - 50lb of fish, although this is to a certain extent based on estimates. I weighed the bigger ones that I caught, but not all of the smaller carp. Regardless, I had succeeded in my objective to target the net fish, and avoid the swing to hand inhabitants of the lake. I would also say that it's by far my most prolific day of fishing since my recent return to the sport.

As I packed up I came to the conclusion that I'd really enjoyed the experiment. I've played competitive sport since i was very young, football, cricket, golf, so I guess I thrive on a competitive element to my hobbies. Maybe match fishing could become a new hobby whilst scratching my competitive itch?

I undoubtedly need to improve my angling skills, I definitely need to get quicker in general, particularly unhooking, I think I lost quite a bit of time with this, and I've developed a really nasty habit of hooking myself in the finger whilst removing the hook from the fishes mouth, but I'd like to think that the basics are coming along, and that at some stage I could enter a club match without making a complete clown of myself.

The advice I got was all good, thanks to everyone that responded, particularly @chefster and @Neil ofthe nene , both the pellet/expander and groundbait/dead red maggot tactics worked very well ?????

So as per the end of most of my write-ups, I'm sitting at home with a bottle of red, in this case a lovely South African Pinot Noir to which I've recently become rather partial. I had a lot of fun today and I learned a huge amount. Even if I was match fishing against no-one else, I still had what I consider to be a pretty successful day. And no, I didn't jump into the lake in celebration of winning........

Thanks for reading

Stewie
Well done Stewie, sounds like you had an amazing days fishing ??really pleased it all worked out for you mate ...lovely write up again too ??

SeanB

Site Supporter
Nice write up, I enjoyed reading it. And well done on a successful session, a few more months and you will be looking to compete in Fishomania ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Lovely write up of a smashing day - now you have had a taste of a simulated match it’s time to get stuck in proper :) (y)

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Really enjoyed reading that. Well done, seems you knew what you were doing especially when it came to swim rotation.

Birtleyheed

That was a cracking read, and well done. As a pleasure angler myself for past 30ish years ( I've never fished in a match ) I decided after lockdown to do something similiar to yourself and treat every session as though I was in a match situation, such as taking more time to set up and making sure everything was to hand, keeping busy and wringing the changes re methods and baits, trying more lines, started using a clicker and stopwatch, etc. Definitely has resulted in improving my catch numbers, although a bit late for me to start match fishing ( I'm in my 64th year ). Keep up the good work !

rudd

Site Supporter

Thanks for reading

Stewie
The question we all have is - did you frame???