Holly Farm Open 15/9/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

Date : 15/09/02
Venue: Gills Lake (Holly Farm)
Time : 10am till 4pm

Sunday saw the second of the Autumn/Winter opens at Holly Farm fished on the small fish lake known as Gills.

The first match was fished on 1/09/02 and the top 5 weights on that match were as below :

1st...G.Sadler..........66lb 14oz
2nd...R.Poole...........55lb 12oz
3rd...G.Bray............48lb 6oz
4th...K.East.............42lb 12oz
5th...M.Richardson...39lb 2oz

Well onto this Sundays open.

Sadly only 7 fished due to only being advertised at the fishery (but the advertising has now been sorted) so hopefully more anglers will turn out for the rest of the matches.

Dates and contact details for the rest of the matches can be found HERE

The result of Sundays match was as follows :

1st...G.Sadler.....36lb 10oz
2nd...M.Doyle.....24lb 13oz
3rd...R.Poole......19lb 8oz
4th...G.Bray.......12lb 1oz
5th...S.Wilson....11lb 14oz
5th...I.Alton.......11lb 14oz
7th...T.Watts......2lb 14oz

Total weighed in by the 7 fishing was 119lb 10oz

When you think the fish average 8 to 12oz with very few above 12oz the weights are very good.

Winner Garry Sadler's 36lb 10oz net
Datafile2.jpg Second placed Malc Doyle's 24lb 13oz net
Datafile2.jpg

As printed before if you CLICK HERE you will find details of the future opens at Holly Farm.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Edited by - MALC on 16 September 2002 7:36:12 PM

scott essery

'Silver man'
Malc

Well done mate! Its not often you see a tied weight and its a shame only 7 fished.

lookes like you had a good day out though.

Glenn Archer

Y.T.D.A.A.
Hi,

What would be a good idea would be a breakdown of what pegs produced the results and what methods were used.

I fished Gil's for the first time on the 8th Sept. with Tight Lines (Sheffield) and we had a good match. I came second with 39lb odd off peg 30, fishing meat down the inside. The winner caught bigger fish (numerous 3lb +) using caster on the inside (sorry don't know which peg).

This kind of info would be very useful for club anglers as well as open match anglers who are not familiar with the venue.

All the best,

Glenn.

MALC

Firstly Glen welcome to MD's

Secondly in answer to your point regards pegs and bait does the quote below sound familiar.

quote: I am not going to divulge what each one is, but just to say that each
is more effective in certain weather conditions, and its upto each
individual angler to put the time and effort into finding out which baits work best.

The above is from your first post ref woodlands. LOL
Personaly i dont go along with secrets (to some peoples disaproval) but alot of "open anglers" do keep secrets.

Cant give baits or pegs for the first match as i was not there, but Sundays was as follows :

36lb 10oz peg 40 Chop & Caster on deck in middle
24lb 13oz peg 36 Meat on deck 4mtr
19lb 8oz peg 38 No idea on bait but caught from all areas
12lb 1oz peg 34 No idea as i could not see
11lb 14oz peg 31 & 29 As above
2lb 14oz peg 40 As above

Trouble with putting up what anglers have caught on is i've found in the past that when asked a lot ( local to me ) give you a lot of false info and rather than post wrong i'd rather omit the details ( unless any one asks ) but i've no problem at all with spilling the beans when i know it to be correct.

Malc

scott essery

'Silver man'
Malc

Book me into the Gills match on the 29th please mate and i'll bring some worms along as its a method i like to use

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/ChopwormRobGandley.htm

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/Giles%20Chop%20worm.htm

The thing ive found with Borders meridian canal (carp average 12oz to 1.5 lbs) is that they are awkward buggers and want one thing one day and another the next! so worm and casters may be the method last week but pellet and corn could (not saying it will) work the next time!! But i guess thats the fun of fishing icon_smile_big.gif

Malc

Apreciate your honesty mate and im glad your not a misserable bugger like Steve when it comes to info!!! icon_smile_big.gif

That guy should work for MI5 considering his 'top secret' outlook on info hahaha icon_smile_tongue.gif

Glenn Archer

Y.T.D.A.A.
Hi Malc and everyone

With regards to secrets I don't mind divulging what baits and methods I use when I'm fishing but I would draw the line at giving away the 'something extra' that has taken me years to get right. Surely you can appreciate this.

With regards to Dirk, he was fishing next to me @Woodlands and knows too well what bait I was using. He copied me for the last one hour and a half fishing the same distance and using a similar baiting strategy. He was then catching a steady rate of fish.

What I was really after was a feel for the venue in question, i.e. are there any flier pegs, any consistent baits or methods. With regards to Gil's, the fish are relatively small and they will probably eat almost anything anyway. Other venues are not quite the same are they?

I hope I didn't come across as "you tell all me all your secrets and I won't tell you any of mine", as this is far from the truth.

You are right when you say that matchmen tell lies regarding what they fished with and where, so you are probably right to stick to the peg numbers and only divulge any info you have seen with your own eyes.

Keep bagging

Glenn

MALC

Glen

quote:I hope I didn't come across as "you tell all me all your secrets and I won't tell you any of mine", as this is far from the truth.

No problem i never read it like that it just made me laugh thats why i quoted it.

quote:What I was really after was a feel for the venue in question, i.e. are there any flier pegs, any consistent baits or methods. With regards to Gil's, the fish are relatively small and they will probably eat almost anything anyway. Other venues are not quite the same are they?

Gils has no flyers as such but a lot of people do tend to fish to the far bank.

Regards bait's as you say no one bait sticks out at the moment as it's only this year that all the bait restrictions were lifted so all bait's can and do produce so most tend to fish to their own strengths.

Regards tactics it's down to your choice on the day as on the deck and shallow can and do win matches there.

Malc

Status
Not open for further replies.