hollow vs solid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitindall

i've always used solid elastic,i'm currently using preston slip in a 14 for carp up to 12lb and 6 for silvers and i'm happy with it but was thinking about giving hollow a go.
what are the pro's and con's of hollow and is it better in lighter or heavier sizes?

masterrod

have been playing about a bit at min mate and my views on hollow arnt exciting to say the least, but what is, (in my opinion) is doubled laccys,now tht does float my boat,give it a go mate you will be impressed ,tht is u havent already tried it lol.

pitindall

not tried anything except solid up to now. just feel i might be missing out on something better unless i try them!is the new preston double stuff any good?

slf

NUFC
I been using doubled 6 and doubled 8 with a preston pulla bung for my commercial carping. Its very soft on the strike however it powers up qiuckly to subdue the fish. one great advantage of it thats its cheap picking up a spool for a couple of quid whereas hollow will set you back between 8 and 15 quid. The only hollow i have been using of late is vespe green which up to now has been good

Col7777

Can you still get hold of that knicker elastic from our mom's era, from the stories I heared from the older guys it was very strong stuff? [:)]

JonnyM

Well i moved from maver number 14 solid, to maver 12-15 dual core, and can say the difference is amazing. The elastic comes out around a foot for prettymuch any fish around a pound, but hook a decent carp and it tires it much faster and you have no fear of it snapping. I have total faith in mine so my vote is hollow[:D][:D]

cess monkey

i`m trying hollow elastic and it`s realy stretchy compared to solid, i dont bump as many fish but i`m going to have to start using pulla bungs for when the fish are close to landing. Imo once it`s mastered it`s better than solids.

Kevsmith060

I've just re-done all my kits with maver dualcore and find that I don't bump off anywhere near as many fish as I did with the solid stuff, it's a few extra quid but well worth it.

richox12

masterrod, why would you use doubled with a pulla bung ? Surely there's no point and with a pulla you could just use a single strand solid anyway ?

12f2004

Originally posted by masterrod

have been playing about a bit at min mate and my views on hollow arnt exciting to say the least, but what is, (in my opinion) is doubled laccys,now tht does float my boat,give it a go mate you will be impressed ,tht is u havent already tried it lol.

I've got three kits, what would use in them? I fish mainly commercials, silvers, carp, the odd tench.

Thanks

dstev

Dave
I use middy shock core. 6-10 in one kit, which is great for silver but recently landed a couple of 7 lb carp on a 2.5lb bottom, and 12-16 in my other kit which will subdue all but the monsters. A couple of things, you don't need much, no more than 1 metre, otherwise a big fish will stretch you half way across the pond. Also it doesn't seem to last long, I replace it every season as it gets thin where its tied.

I did a simple test on the 12-16 and found it stretched about 8 times more than its original length before it bottomed out.

dave brittain 1

Hollows have 50% more stretch than solids and they bottom out progressively rather than locking like solids. For silvers and fishing 16m + against islands I stick with solids, however given open water with big fish I'll opt for hollow every time

Status
Not open for further replies.