Hollow Elastic choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyJD

Hi all, sorry for yet another elastic which is best forum.
Last year I used Preston Hollo from 11H up to 17H and to be honest it did me good, however this year I wanted to save a bit of money when elasticating 8 top kits at 9 a go, 72 total. So chose NG amber core elastic in green (red preston 11H equivalent), black (green preston 13H equivalent) and purple (Preston 15H equivalent).
(Sorry Nick I just can't get to grips with it), plus I had a green elastic snap on the pulla bung end yesterday and its less than 6 month old. Preston did nearly 2 years before being replaced. The black is a bit stronger than the 13H and it feels like it bottoms too which I don't like. Sorry the purple is just awful.
Am I going to have to just stump up another 72 or is there a slightly cheaper hollow alternative?

Matt Simmy

Matress
Site Supporter
My N.G green flattened out and started developing bubbles in it when playing medium sized carp. Love his floats and float rubber tho.

SpeedyJD

Agree with you on the float front Matt, don't use anything else. I just thought I'd try his elastic as its so much cheaper but cannot get along with it, horses for courses though.

MarkC

I've been using the 2 core from Keepnets direct for close on 2 years now in all size ranges & can't fault it.
http://www.keepnetsdirect.com/hollow-elastic-offers/4589995028

Kirtons

Site Supporter
It's a bit of minefield out there but to make it simpler let's look at it like this of hollow type elastics there are 2,hollow and hydro. I'm reliably informed that there are only 2 at the most factories in the world that produce elastic. And its primary use is not for fitting in fishing poles this was an afterthought!im sure most would agree that daiwas hydro last longest and stretches furthest due to its liquid filling....it also costs the most and is only available in 3m lengths. As for the rest of the hollows Id say they are all more or less the same only colours or brands separate them,e.g one brands dual core is the same as the others probably just a different colour, I've got some tackle nets teal at home and I've compared it side by side with some 6-10 maver dual core and I'm convinced it's the same stuff.i bought a good job lot of maver off eBay at a good price (5 for 3m) I'd be happy to use tackle nets from now on or nicks (all of which I've used before) to conclude unless your prepared to pay for hydro but the cheapest hollow as they all come from the same place!

SpeedyJD

Kirtons, it would be interesting to get a few elastics that are all rated 6-10,cut a 2ft length off each and with say a 1kg weight see how far they all stretched before the weight was off the ground. If the length of stretch is the same then they must be the same. Unfortunately I cannot afford to do this so I'm stuck with choosing a brand of elastic.

dubdog

I`ve been useing keepnets direct elastic for two or three years. Used all other brands and settled on this. I find that elastic with a gloss seems to last loads longer than elastic with a mat finish. Anyone else found this?

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
I only use Hydro, it really does last yonks, the initial outlay is dearer but you don't need to change it as often as any other hollows.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
I have heard of people local to me filling maver retro 12-20 with Preston pole lube to aid longevity and I'm told it works ....couldn't be bothered with that myself though!

artist

30/03/06 - Mar 2019
In Memoriam
Originally posted by SpeedyJD

Hi all, sorry for yet another elastic which is best forum.
Last year I used Preston Hollo from 11H up to 17H and to be honest it did me good, however this year I wanted to save a bit of money when elasticating 8 top kits at 9 a go, 72 total. So chose NG amber core elastic in green (red preston 11H equivalent), black (green preston 13H equivalent) and purple (Preston 15H equivalent).
(Sorry Nick I just can't get to grips with it), plus I had a green elastic snap on the pulla bung end yesterday and its less than 6 month old. Preston did nearly 2 years before being replaced. The black is a bit stronger than the 13H and it feels like it bottoms too which I don't like. Sorry the purple is just awful.
Am I going to have to just stump up another 72 or is there a slightly cheaper hollow alternative?

you're about one grade up for NG in your comparisons. I've had the NG green( 13h/ grey hydro) for 18 months now and regular use.Sorry you've had one snap.

richox12

Originally posted by Kirtons

....I'm reliably informed that there are only 2 at the most factories in the world that produce elastic.......to conclude unless your prepared to pay for hydro but the cheapest hollow as they all come from the same place!

2 factories in the world ???? Nooooo, you've been given some really very bad info. Elastics seem/are same/similar because we are dealing with the same/similar sizes. There are only so many sizes anglers need as opposed to other industries.

SpeedyJD

I agree with you richbox12,its only elastic at the end of the day. I'm sure loads of factories produce it. Just re elasticated my snapped elastic with Preston 11H and it feels so much better quality, really well lubed and soft but strong. Still 9 though. I could do with somewhere selling it cheaper or in bulk. Fishermens friend do an offer but then postage is a right rip off. I'll keep looking. Might give the KND elastic a try.

StuH

Site Supporter
I find hollows hit and miss; I've tried NG amber core and been fine, yet my brother had the same stuff and his went in no time. I've tried Drennan green and absolutely hated it, it had flat spots and felt lumpy from the first fish. I've some KND in some top kits now and it seems okay so far.

StuH

Site Supporter
On the two factories, if you search for 'dipped latex tubing' on the likes of google and alibaba you'll find loads of producers.

Chris K

I'm back on solids as fed up of hollow not lasting
Double 8 Preston on deck, single sensas latex for shallow, single 8 for f1s, happy with that so far...

daniel121

Account Closed
I not a great fan of hollows, but for fishing short in the margins its much better than soilds because of the strech. But I mostly use double soilds because of the stretch, weight,control and cost!

However I use Preston stuff with no bother, but I am tempted to try the NG stuff because of the price but I don't understand all the different types;

Twin core
Amber core
Micro bore

Whats the difference?

bryan white

Site Supporter
twin core is softer on the strike and feels consistent when playing a fish once the elastic is under pressure,.
amber is initially soft on the strike,powers up quickly and then at some point bottoms out with no discernible feel prior to it happening..not good on lakes with known charging fish.
micro bore i have not tried ,but will this coming winter as hollows below size 14 can get flat spots,especially when stored away.
i like hollows but they do vary quite a bit ratings, if you buy a few different packs you can see the difference in diameter.
i have a few 14-16's that are more powerful than a 16-18 rated elastic and vice a versa.

billy the blank

I have used the twin core blue 8-12 for about 6 months and grey 12-16 for last 2 months and like it. The blue is used for my 6m line for skimmers and carp and also shallow for fish up to 18lb so it covers a large area of my fishing.

BAD H

Pelletmeister
For me always used the original Preston Hollows then switched to Daiwa Hydros which i found i liked more although stuck with the Preston 13H which i still use. Then found the Hydro particularly the black had changed (got thicker, prone to sticking and not as stretchy) so only now use the lighter grades in that, Pink, Blue & White.
I am now trying the new Preston Dura Hollows which to date i am pretty impressed with. In summary i would say try a few and choose which suits you best in each grade.
Personally i would recommend in Hydro- Pink,Blue & White. Original Preston Hollow in 11H & 13H and the new Preston Durahollow in 12 & 14, that just about covers all my fishing. Not cheap finding out and pretty annoying when they change something so good as Black Hydro.

Status
Not open for further replies.