Hollow elastic and wear problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.A.T.C.H.

Ive had Blue Middy shock core fitted to a power top 2 for less than 2 seasons and noticed today that the crow foot end had frayed for about 12" into the top kit.
Fortunately I had enough elastic on the winder to cut the frayed part off and retie the crow foot.
My question is Does all Hollow elastic fray like this?
Im tempted to get rid and buy some Red Hydro but is this the same couple of seasons I will need to loose a bit of the end.?

Cheers.
C.A.T.C.H.

/

midge99

I've never had a problem with hydro, I had some in for two years

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
It all does this in time, its something to do with the oil on your finger tips rotting the latex. A dacron connector will go some way to slowing it down. Personally I like my crows feet and if you put enough laccy on the bung you will have enough for a few cut backs by which time you really should be changing it.

Jessebobs

Steve!
It depends how often you use it. If you're out every weekend then I would expect to change it after a season. If you don't fish that often then it may last 2 but check it every session. If there's plenty spare on a winder bung then keep doing what you're doing and dump the end few inches. The elastic inside the pole should be ok

C.A.T.C.H.

Looking at the length thats frayed and lost some of its colour I think water contact may have caused some of the problem but its not a few inches its best part of a foot. I suppose looking at it logically the end bit is always the part that gets most use rubbing against the PTFE tip.
Is lubricating the elastic worth considering?
I seem to remember reading on here that water is the best lub for hollows, is that the case.?

Cheers.
T.

dave brittain 1

I've had the same problems with hydro, whre the last foot or so of elastic has become rough, although not frayed. One of the reasons for this could be because the last few feet of elastic is often pulled under the water when a fish is hooked. On commercials the water is cloudy and will have a fine element of mud/silt in the upper layers, which is why you can't see your bait a foot down. This could, over time act as an abrasive and because it's the last few feet of elastic that takes the most abuse, this is where the wear shows.

I generally change my elastics when necessary, ie when they show signs of wear or they become stretched and start to loose their elasticity and effectiveness.

Although many anglers swear that they can get several seasons out of hydro it will all depend on how many fish you catch and how well you look after your elastics. If you've had almost two seasons out of the middy, I'd say that you've had your moneys worth.

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
I can never make hollow elastic last two seasons, I must catch too many fish!

On a serious note you may find the end of your elastic frays because the end bit is exposed to the light for long periods when a top kit sits in a roost when you are not using it. A cheap way to stop this is to stick a bait band around the kit so that you can hook it up without any elastic exsposed to the light.

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
I think you've hit the nail on the head there nick, never though about it but exposure to sun makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.