HOLLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

splodger

Thinking of trying Holland this year instead of Ireland.
We may be based at Brielle? (i think thats how it is spelt!).
Does anyone have first-hand experience of the area?
I've heard that there's fish-a-plenty,good nightlife but we could have trouble finding the swims due to the language barrier.
Is this correct?-----Help needed!!!!

SPLODGER

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Splodger

I haven't fished in Holland but in my experience most of the Dutch speak very good English, almost as good as some of our fellow MDs from the North [:D].

AlanP

Simon R

Site Supporter
Splodger

I went to Holland in April 2001 (cos Ireland was shut due to F&M) and we stayed in Brielle.

We were about a month too early according to the locals, the area doesn't really start fishing until May, but we still had some reasonable catches.

We only had four days, so the first two we fished a water called 'Zuider Dieps' which is a fair sized lake near Stellendam (south of Brielle).

We struggled a little the first day, just catching odd bream but after prebaiting we had up to 50lbs the following day (10 bream and 6 ide). The ide were enormous, the biggest one we weighed went 4lb 12oz and the bream averaged around 4lbs.

The third day we fished the Voorne canal, we had a bit of a late start due to a heavy night the day before and didn't really catch a lot (just odd bream)

Final day we went to the River Spui which is an awesome river. Its about twice as wide as the Trent with ocean going tankers using it.
Its tidal too and you need 4oz of lead on your feeder to hold bottom just a couple of rod-lengths out. The best weight we had on there was just over 22lbs (including a roach of 2lb 4oz), although we were on a split tide so the river rose 6ft in the morning before starting to fall again in the afternoon.

Don't worry about the language, the majority of the Dutch speak better English than we do. Theres a good tackle shop in the town too, maggots are a bit tricky to get hold of but they sell all the 'continental' groundbait we get over here (Van Den Eynde etc) and its only about half the price we pay.

We stayed at the Atlas Hotel in Brielle itself (very ancient town a bit like York)and because we went with one of the angling travel companies (Jack Purchase I think)our licences were waiting for us when we arrived.

I've got a few photos and a map of the area and as soon as I scan them in, I'll post them on here. Theres also a local angling club with their own website (all in Dutch I'm afraid), although you can e-mail them for further information.

Tight Lines

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Splodger

As promised here's a couple of photos from April 2001

Both these photos were taken on our second day at the Zuider Dieps

This is the Voorne Kanaal

and finally a couple of shots of the River Spui

This is a map of the area (its Michelin Map 211 - Nederland if you want to buy your own copy)

Its not too clear I'm afraid but the Zuider Dieps is down at the bottom left-hand corner, the River Spui is on the far right (near the town of Spijkenisse) and the Voorne Kanaal runs more or less north-south from the town of Hellevoetsluis.

The other waters in the area include the Brielse Meer (just north of Brielle), de Bernisse (a small river between the Voorn Kanaal and Spijkenisse) and the Voedingskanaal (north of Spijkenisse).

You can see photos of these waters on the website http://www.onsgenoegen.com/ (under 'Wateren') and there's also a number of links to other Dutch fishing websites.

If you want anymore information, let me know

Tight Lines

Simon

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
All Reet Simon.
How did you manage to stay awake to take the Photo's LOL[:D] [:p]

Stu
******L.U.F.C.

splodger

Good work Simon!
The only problem now is that we might be switching venues and going inland to a place near Zwolle (i will have more details when i recieve info from our holiday travel agent).
The best laid plans.............!

SPLODGER

carperpete

I worked in holland and lived in Brielle , small place but lovely people and good food and drink . Plenty of fishing nearby, plenty of places nearby . ( I recomend Brielle great place)

splodger

Hi guys,
Just got information back from Travel agents.
We are going about 100 miles inland and staying at a holiday site called De Koerberg, which is approx. 4 miles away from the town of Heerde.
Nearby are the river Ijssel and Blackwater Canal plus various lakes.
I know its a long shot but has anybody ever been there to give us some knowledge of the area?

SPLODGER

splodger

Oh and excuse my rudeness Carperpete upon ignoring the fact that you have just entered your first post!
Welcome to the best site around for anything to do with fishing topics.
Have fun!

SPLODGER

Status
Not open for further replies.