HOLLAND 2011 ...... WHO'S GOING ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Steve, great report mate, I felt like i was sitting next to you feeling the sun on my neck and watching my tip! Fantastic!![:T]

nrayner

Steve that was the right spot on the Brielse Meer where we did well a few weeks ago. DON'T GO AT THE WEEKEND, LOL!!

Last edited:

ayinga

Great report that Steve,looks even better with the pics. The guy on the Voorne was a friend of mine it was great to meet someone like yourself over there,if you remember you put us onto the Memorial Steps where we caught a few fish and that is what it is all about. Genuine people helping each other out,just like all the guys on this site,hope to see you again mate. Tight Lines AYINGA(Jeff)[:T]

PIGEON114

great report mate pleased you had a good fortnight just shows the fish are there still just not where there supposed to be well done sussing it out

Chris Watson

Dutch Dynamo
Nice report Steve, pleased you had some good days, it makes you forget about the bad ones [:D] oh and don't mention boat wash to me [:I][:(]

Barbeel_EU

@ Steve :
Well, well, well, you came over to the Netherlands and didn't let me know ?
I could have send you to a peg loaded with bream, ha ha ha LoL
Casting only 50meters isn't enough, after 10am you'll have to follow the fish into the deeper water, up to 80 meters in the main current.

@ Glenn :
Yes mate, i'm back on the feeder. The barbelseason has ended for me now so i'll be at the bank along the Waal till May/June 2012
I'm gonna visit a friend and gonna get a load of new equipment for the feederseason.

Also launched a new website wich will be online soon (still working on it) and if you want to see a preview just look here
www.feederen.eu

Well for now i wish you luck and tight lines, see you soon.

GreetZ
Ronald (the dutchie)

Barbeel_EU

Oh i forgot something.
The big boats on the river are designed to make no big waves.
The only thing they do is create a strong current between the "kribben" and that's the greatest risk of getting phulled with it when you're to far in the water in a wadingsuit.

Steve M

Site Supporter
Ronald...thanks for the info. As it was our first visit to the Waal it was always going to be a learning experience ready for 2012 maybe.

We did consider wading but were a bit put off by how steeply it shelved and the current created as the boats passed. As you say there were no really large waves just a powerful surge current back towards the boats.

So next year we will be better prepared:

1. Wade

2. Fish further out to 80m into the main current.

3. I appreciate the offer of help so maybe next year I will give you a call before we arrive, for some up to date info[:T][:T][:T]

Thanks again.

Cheers

Steve

TimB

Originally posted by Nunachuk

Driving to Zwolle tomorrow for a day on the Ijssel-Can't wait![:)]

Tight lines matey, let us know how you get on and any pics if possible - just make me more envious and impatient for next May[:T]

smiffy

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Steve M

Ronald...thanks for the info. As it was our first visit to the Waal it was always going to be a learning experience ready for 2012 maybe.

We did consider wading but were a bit put off by how steeply it shelved and the current created as the boats passed. As you say there were no really large waves just a powerful surge current back towards the boats.

1. Wade

3. I appreciate the offer of help so maybe next year I will give you a call before we arrive, for some up to date info[:T][:T][:T]

Thanks again.

Cheers

Steve
To be honest with you Steve I would not wade.Chris Watson can vouch for me through experience.I have seen several people down the years washed out whilst sitting at the waters edge let alone wading out to get closer to the fish.At the very least tie yourself and your most expensive gear to a windturbine or something.Also the rocks can be very slippery so be very careful.

If you havent already got it you want the heaviest,longest feeder rod and baitrunner to go with it.Try to use something that will cast 80 yards easy rather than at a push.

Another thing worth bearing in mind,especially for Barbel, is how we used to fish the Severn 20 odd years ago and the amount of bait needed on that comparatively small river for a 5 hour match.Fish feeder,think waggler[:)]
I guess you know most of this but it might save people a wasted trip if they havent got the gear.

Steve M

Site Supporter
Originally posted by smiffy

Originally posted by Steve M

1. Wade

Thanks again.

Cheers

Steve
To be honest with you Steve I would not wade.Chris Watson can vouch for me through experience.I have seen several people down the years washed out whilst sitting at the waters edge let alone wading out to get closer to the fish.At the very least tie yourself and your most expensive gear to a windturbine or something.Also the rocks can be very slippery so be very careful.

If you havent already got it you want the heaviest,longest feeder rod and baitrunner to go with it.Try to use something that will cast 80 yards easy rather than at a push.

Another thing worth bearing in mind,especially for Barbel, is how we used to fish the Severn 20 odd years ago and the amount of bait needed on that comparatively small river for a 5 hour match.Fish feeder,think waggler[:)]
I guess you know most of this but it might save people a wasted trip if they havent got the gear.

Thanks smiffy.... I must admit I didnt really fancy wading.....it shelved particularly quickly, although as Ronald mentioned, for the size of the boats the wash/waves were pretty small. Mind you, the draw from these boats looked a bit worrying at times.
I was using a Preston Dutchmaster 14' 2" feeder rod (without baitrunner reel) & I think that distance shouldnt be a problem with a bit of practice although my mate was using a 'pukka' barbel rod - maybe thats the way to go??[?]
Sometimes - on a river like that - I dont think you could ever over feed it. It was all good practice for a first visit & hopefully we will return for a re match next year[:)]

Cheers,

Steve

squatt

15ft Browning King Feeder is what you want. Built for the job and can cast 200grams. I have them in 13,14 & 15ft for the Netherlands, France and mans stuff!!!

The Big Fella

Hi

Well only 4 big sleeps left and me and me mates are off to dekoerberg for a change.

It is very very late in year to when we normally go, so I think my expectations have been lowered slightly to compensate.

However i would still really like to do a few 50lb plus bags off the rivers, canals or lakes etc.

Having said all that I am a firm believer that second class fishing has always been better than first class fishing..........

Onwards and upwards with a report posted on my return

[:D][;)][8D][;)]

Last edited:

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Hi guys, back from the Ijssel. Yesterday was very strange-Jimmy and I went on the stretch near Salk lake, he had fourteen fish (?) for eight ounces, and I had four fish for ten pounds (including an Ide of five and a half pounds). The river was at the normal level, but going faster than I have ever seen it. It was also very clear, which meant that I had to go down to a size 14 hook (never normally go below a 12 on the Ijssel) in order to get a bite. I had a total of five bites in three and a half hours [:C] Well that's it for me for this year, but looking forward to May when instead of fishing, I will sit behind a more acomplished angler and hopefully learn.[:D] Oh nearly forgot, we never took any photos-Tight lines

12f2004

Originally posted by The Big Fella

Hi

Well only 4 big sleeps left and me and me mates are off to dekoerberg for a change.

It is very very late in year to when we normally go, so I think my expectations have been lowered slightly to compensate.

However i would still really like to do a few 50lb plus bags off the rivers, canals or lakes etc.

Have a safe and successful trip Craig. Looking forward to the report on your return.

Tightlines.

Having said all that I am a firm believer that second class fishing has always been better than first class fishing..........

Onwards and upwards with a report posted on my return

[:D][;)][8D][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.