HOLLAND 2011 ...... WHO'S GOING ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

griff06

Site Supporter
Paul if i know Gordon,he will be using a paternoster rig,with redworm on the hook,he loves worms nearly as much as the bream do.

Steve M

Site Supporter
Well I got back last night from our two week trip to Hellovoetsluis.
We had mixed fortunes but caught a few fish. The weather, like here was baking hot and it was certainly interesting. [:0]

Our first visit to Cape Helius worked fine and we met a few other anglers when fishing.

ayinga came & found us one evening and we bumped into him a few times during the week in the town ....hi mate ....it was good meeting you and your mates.[:T]

I will put up a post soon when I have sorted/packed all my kit away.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

12f2004

Originally posted by griff06

Paul if i know Gordon,he will be using a paternoster rig,with redworm on the hook,he loves worms nearly as much as the bream do.

That will be out in May then.........[;)]

TimB

I thought the worm closed season was ending from jan 1st 2012 ??

griff06

Site Supporter
TimB,i thought they were going to end the closed season for worm,Mario would be the person to ask will email him.

Markus

i tried to solve the worm question and found a message that the departement is working at different changes (the message is from 19.08.2011).
http://www.sportvisserijnederland.nl/sportvissers/actueel/?page=detail&id=3540
And yes, they plan to let the closed season end from 1. march 2012 on.
The message just say the plan but im sure they will realize it.
They also plan to allow keeping perch in your keepnet aslong as you release them back to the water.
rudd and orfe dont have any minimum size anymore.
So if i get to know that the "plans" become true i let you know.

griff06

Site Supporter
Neil ,i take the wife to to work,she starts at 6 ,and i have always been used to getting up early being in the building trade.

Dogstick_NUFC

Neil ,i take the wife to to work,she starts at 6 ,and i have always been used to getting up early being in the building trade.
So Glenn was correct [:T][:D]

glenn

Account Locked
lol ,what you have to remember is i've been to griff's house and met his very lovely wife ,and when griff says he wears the trousers in their house and he does what he wants its true,for example the list of chores irene leaves him he can do the washing BEFORE the ironing if he wants to do it that way round lol,sorry griff could'nt resist it mate

griff06

Site Supporter
I am not under the thumb,i just asked the wife if it was ok to reply to the topic and she said ok,2weeks in Holland next year yippee.

glenn

Account Locked

I am not under the thumb,i just asked the wife if it was ok to reply to the topic and she said ok,2weeks in Holland next year yippee.

A few side bets coming up in june i think [?]
Griff i will have my music on full blast through my headphones ..............................so no asking for advice lol[:0]

Steve M

Site Supporter
WellI arrived home late Monday night after 2 weeks of fishing around Hellevoetsluis area. Getting all three of us together from 3 different counties for the overnight ferry from Harwich went off without a hitch. At the Hook of Holland the next morning,every driver was breathalised as they came off the ferry as has been mentioned by others.

We arrived for our first visit to Caper Helius and could gain access to drop the trailer but unfortunately couldnt get into the accommodation until about 12pm which gave us time to pick up our licences & bait from Mario and hit Lidls/Jumbo supermarket for our self catered 2 weeks.
We found Cape Helius to be fine. A detached 3 bed house overlooking the marina with 2 x parking spaces. Ours is the one to the right in pic:

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/201110783749_House.jpg

[The only moan I would have about the accommodation is:
No freezer (just an ice box)
No toaster (just a combi micro wave)
No oven but a hob.
Everything we wanted to cook/eat worked out so they are only minor gripes.

This was the view from my balcony:

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/201110783449_Balcony1.jpg

Mario confirmed that the fishing had been slow generally and suggested a couple of spots on the Brielse Meer that had apparently fished well 140lb of bream & roach the winning weight in a match the previous weekend (more later). He marked the spots on a map for us.
He also suggested that on the Voorne to fish at approx. 5- 6m, a few balls of groundbait & then loose feed pellet over the top.
By the time we had all done all this & had a look at a couple of venues including Brielse Meer we decided that we would not fish that day but start in earnest the next morning.
We decided on the Voorne for our first outing.

Up early the next morning for our traditional full English breakfast which we have every day. We find that pretty much lasts us all day with a flask/fruit/cereal bar/water to keep us going until the end.

Something else we did for the first time this year, because we had 14 days to play with and needed to shop every 3 days or so, was to have a couple of later starts. We could then shop and even prepare an evening meal in advance, start fishing by 10 am instead of first light at 0730, and carry on fishing until almost dark.

Tuesday.

Voorne peg nos 86,87,88 by the pumphouse.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/20111078406_Voorne.jpg

Pole 5m to hand. Windy & warm. We all fed conservatively with g/bait putting in 3- 4 balls at the start and then topping up with odd balls during the day with loose fed pellet over the top. It was a grueller. I had 3 bream plus some half decent roach. All on corn. Mart had 2 bream & Jeff 1 plus roach. I also used a feeder I had a couple of fish on a small white boilie but lost them both. The bream were in pretty manky condition and about 3lb a go.

Wednesday:

Spui swimming pool stretch. Flow L-R .
Very slow would be an understatement for the fishing. We all had 3 bream each on the feeder just out to the crease but what absolutely knackered it was loads of loose weed being washed down. No matter how you had tour rod tip or where you cast, the line looked like a washing line inside of 5 minutes. The flow seemed to increase dramatically after 12 noon as well. All fish caught on corn. We didnt get a touch on worm or pellet. We packed up early about 4pm when the weed became an absolute nightmare.

Thursday:

One of our late starts to get shopping & prepare meal. We also checked with Mario that the pegs we had looked at on Brielse Meer were the right ones. In a small car park by a caf with a short walk through some trees. Sandy type beach area. Looked great. He confirmed that was the right spot. That was for another day so we returned to the Voorne.we like a challenge.so fished pegs that had been kind to us in previous years. The old 400s now 177 ish.
We decided that this time we would fish the usual 10m out and we would put in a bit more groundbait than before but not loads. Maybe 6 cricket balls to start and then topped up with further balls every hour or so, with pellet over the top.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/201110791635_Voorne3.jpg

Another warm/cloudy day so we cant blame the weather !!
I tried a few permutations on the pole with very little to show for it. Just a lot of 4-6oz roach at full depth. The wind died around 4 pm and my mate Jeff called it a day. He wasnt well..he hadnt been for over a week and eventually went to the doctors.
Nothing on the feeder either.
It was now getting a bit serious. Three days fishing for not a great deal but its not just about catching. We have a laugh, a few wind ups (quite a few actually !!) good food and beers. So all was not lost,but we did want to catch !!

Friday:

Back to an old favourite.the Memorial Steps. This has never let us down as we have always caught there.
It was warm, breezy & sunny lovely in fact. Jeff dropped us & went in search of a local doctor. He was struggling to put a brave face on it all.
That left Mart & me. Im happy to say that we at last had a few fish on the feeder, 45m out, corn or worm on the hook, using a sidewinder to spot the really ferocious bites.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/201110784658_Steps.jpg

I ended with 24 bream. Martin 15 and Jeff nil. In fairness by the time Jeff got back from the doctors he only half heartedly fished for a few hours. But we had a few fish at last.

Saturday.

Brielse Meer. A new venue for us recommended by Mario. It looked good fishing from a sandy beach type area among some trees.
I am pretty sure we were in the right place.car park beside a small caf ??? It was warm and sunny with a light breeze. Unfortunately because it was so nice most of southern Holland seemed to descend on the area in every size & type of boat you can think of. Hundreds of them. I dont think they upset the fishing as much as us !!

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/20111078491_Meer.jpg

Another poor day with plenty of bullheads and small roach. I had a 1 bream for my efforts. I did try a few bait/rig alternatives. Mario suggested approx. 40m out on the feeder. I tried further just to try & spot any line bites etc but nothing doing. I dont think the boats made any difference at all. Back to the drawing board.

Sunday.

Back to the Memorial Steps. Same set up as before on the feeder. Very warm & sunny. No cloud with a light breeze. Not as good as earlier in the week but I still managed 20 x bream, Martin 14 x bream, Jeff x 7 bream. A good enjoyable day but frustrating seeing larges shoals of 5lb + mullet milling around your feet !!
That evening ayinga stuck his head around the door to say hello.hi mate it was good to meet you& thanks for taking the effort to come and find us.
Glad your mate got his car started on the Voorne !!

Monday.

A day best forgotten. Another late start for shopping etc and hopefully a late finish.
We went to the second spot pointed out on Breilse Meer by Mario. Lovely looking spot a mile or so further along from our earlier visit. We just couldnt make it work and Im sure we were in the right area. It was slower than a very slow thing. Just a few bullheads saved me from a blank. I tried different baits/hooks/hooklengths further out and slightly closerjust to spot even a line bite - but we pooped out big time that day. The only good part was the decision to pack up early (about 4pm) and try & find a half decent curry in Rotterdam. It started to rain just after we packed up and carried on well into the evening. We spoke earlier to an angler on peg 86 by the pumphouse ( I think it may have been ayingas mate) when he had about 22 bream. On our drive out to Rotterdam (about 7pm) he was still there in the rain so we knew he must be catching well. We decided that could be our venue for the following day.
We still havent found a decent curry restaurant in Holland.maybe next year !

Tuesday.

We decided on another Voorne attack..keen or mad !! I decided before fishing that I wasnt putting in any groundbait at all & would cup/catapult pellets & corn in.
It was a cloudy start but then warm,sunny with a light breeze. Back on peg 88 for me and 86 87 for the other two. I fished the full depth to hand plus 1 section approx. 7m? Otherwise the same 0.15 mainline to 0.13 hooklength & size 16 Tubertini 808 hook.
Jeff had a visit to the chemist in the morning .still not well .and it was to get a whole lot worse for him. See later poor sod.
It was a slow start but there was loads of indications. The fish were obviously there but not really having a go properly although I was well pleased with 31 bream. Mart 15 bream but lots of decent roach. In fact in the afternoon he concentrated on the roach and caught loads with many 12oz fish. Jeff had 10 bream at the end. Most of the fish came after 3pm.
Most of my fish came to corn but as a change soft hooker pellet or banded hard pellet picked up a few. It was always better when it started to flow. For some reason many of the fish were in much better condition than before. Odd fish were rough but many were mint.
Back to the exciting stuff. About 1pm Jeff reached behind for his landing net which had slipped off his side tray and one of his rear legs on his Preston box collapsed. We guess not done up enough. But whatever.the upshot was he went into the drink along with his box & pole !!
Fortunately he fell to one side and not straight out, because his leg was somehow caught under the foot plate. He was face down with his seat box in the small of his back & his pole underneath him. His face & shoulders were kept out of the water by the thick reeds at the side. Two foot further out & he would have been submerged with his box pushing him down. Because his leg was trapped as well he couldnt get any purchase to get out.
Who says fishing isnt dangerous !! I hate to think if it happened when on your own. Even with Martin & me it was still an effort to get him back out. He ONLY broke his no. 4 section it could have been worse plus everything on his side tray and bits out of one of his cross drawers. But good on himafter checking all his kit etc he decided to carry on, telescoping his pole together through the clean break in the no. 4 sect. which lasted the trip like that. It was warm so he was dry within a couple of hours.

Wednesday:

A first for us.a visit to the River Waal,about an hour from Hellovoetsluis and it was always going to be a recce trip for future reference. Thanks to Ronald & Glenn we found the place OK. We fished the section across the ferry at Brakel and fished the second beach along as suggested by Ronald. It was just like being at the seaside. Soft sand,gentle waves, baking hot with no cloud or breeze.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/201110785037_Waal.jpg

Some of the boats going past were HUGE and I mean chuffin HUGE. After the previous days mishap we decided to play safe and fish away from the waters edge in case we were swamped by the wash from the boats. Good move !!

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/201110785158_Waal2.jpg

We started fishing about 1030 and by 1130 Martin had caught 3 of the biggest Ide I have ever seen. I would guess at least 5lb eachpossibly more. Thick ,wide and deep angry fish.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/steve m/201110785427_Ide2.jpg

I caught a bream of about 5lb. All fish were on corn fished about 50m out, but before the main flow, into slacker water. I really thought we were on for a blinding days fishing but by 12pm it had gone really quiet.
Shortly after, a mum and 2 kids cycled up and plonked themselves down on the sand behind us along with buckets & spades. By 1pm they had been joined by 2 more mums and another 3 toddlers. We stuck it out until 2 pm but the mums were having a real hard time keeping the kids away from us and to be fair we hadnt had anymore bites. It wasnt the safest venue for young kids to paddle as it shelved very quickly but the beach was certainly inviting. So we decided to give the beach back to the kids packed away and left. In hindsight I think we should have fished more to our left but it was a good first trip to the river and thoroughly enjoyable. We will certainly return.

Thursday:

Another late start for shopping etc. We decided to fish windy millers for the first time but on arrival Jeff, still suffering, didnt really fancy perching on the rocks all day. In fairness I didnt blame him. I guess he could see another potential early bath on the horizon.
Soback the pumphouse pegs on the Voorne. This time I was on 89 & Martin and Jeff on 90 & 91 (two local anglers on 87 + 88) and again we didnt use any groundbait..just loose feed. After a couple of hours it was obvious that there were lots of fish around but they were not really having it with plenty of indications,dips and lift bites. Corn was the best bait again with soft pellet also working. I had a few better fish on 8mm soft hooker pellets which I trimmed down !! Another really hot,sunny day and I fished the same as before. As the day went on the fishing really picked up and I ended with 21 x bream plus roach, Mart 11 x bream and Jeff 9 x bream.
I will have to admit now that the signs were all there but none of us really spotted them but if we had I feel we could have been on for some bumper catches. Fishing blinkered I think they call it !!
But another good day with sunburnt ears again !
We saw ayinga in the evening & he told us of the good catches they had been having off the Zuider. Maybe next year. We tried to get a licence for here from Mario but he had sold out. Griffyou were right !!

Friday:

We had all been looking forward to today....wading off the beach. We chose the day as the tide forecast was a very low high tide (if that makes sense) which would make life easier and another scorching hot day. So after all the messing about sorting all the kit out etc we get to the beach and get set up approx 200 steps out. The water is just above our knees. We fished for about an hour and the tide is dropping so we move further out. In fact we walked out to the drop off.3ft deep straight down to 25ft or something. There were boats tied up to the big yellow buoys and Martin was having a conversation with the owner of one..he was that close. No shouting required !
To some up we didnt get a touch between us & yet I felt sure that with the conditions the fish would be in the shallow water & we would have a few as in previous years. Oh well.
Back to the drawing board.

Saturday & Sunday:

Our last two days. Because of the weather Hellovoetsluis had been invaded by loads of sun seekers and the place was heaving. We decided that anywhere that looked like a beach or where you could get a boat would be heaving with sun worshippers .so the last 2 days we were back on the Voorne. Saturday was another very good day with loads of bream and on Sunday we packed away a bit earlier getting ready for the trip home
As in previous days the signs were all there but we didnt take full advantage of them. We still caught fish on the deck using the same tactics as before and strictly no groundbait which appeared to be the kiss of death.
On Saturday Martin set himself up to catch primarily roach and he certainly caught a lot of decent fish . I was pleased with 27 bream but with hindsight it could so easily have been much better.
There were still lots of indications that there were plenty of fish around even if we were not taking full advantage of it. We finally sussed it out a bit late. The fish were stacked up in the top 6 ft of water. It seems so obvious sitting here now but as I said before you can become a bit blinkered. The lift bites, little ,knocks and fish on the drop should have been an indication. We caught well on the deck but come about 3-4pm most of the fish were much higher. A light rig set 6ft deep took good fish on the drop catapulting corn/pellets with corn on the hook.
We saw a group of 3 brit anglers on the old 400 pegs who were catching well shallow they had sussed it out well before us. Sorry lads didnt get any names. I think one said he had 42 fish out with most coming after 4pm.

So all in all a good trip the accommodation worked out fine as did the self catering.
It was a shame that we didnt suss out earlier on the Voorne that many of the fish were shallow, as I think we could really have bagged up big time.
We fished a couple of new venues and I think the Waal is definitely on the list for next time even if it is an hour away. Im still not sure if we even fished the right area but it obviously has huge potential.
We are are already planning for next year and this time I will pack suncream.
Thanks to all for the year long info prior to the trip - especially to Glenn, griff, Neil & Tim B (for the Windy map). Roll on 2012.

Cheers

Steve

griff06

Site Supporter
Steve ,that is a great report,with great detail,thanks ,did you not go to the Zuider dieps,it has been fishing well lately ,the Waal looks brill we will deffo try it next year.thanks for a great report.

glenn

Account Locked
Steve great report mate ,and you were right in your guess ,its ALWAYS better to fish as far left along the beaches as is poss ? ronald smiled and asked why i set up there ? when we met up on the Waal ,reason being i suppose is fishing from there any bait going around the bay will be taken out along by the left hand crib !just seemed the best idea to me .
Lol steve those ships are really massive are they not ,and not that far out from you either,good thing though is because of the building of them there is very little washfrom them even at the size they are ? we saw one that was carrying i think 45 containers at least and another with six boats connected together,its worth going just to see such a wild,wild river! god knows what it would of been like years ago before they had canalised it ,to a certain extent.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Great report Steve. It seems the weather was kind for you compared to previous weeks. The bream were also up in the water on the voorne when we fished it in August. some nice photos as well [:T]

squatt

SteveM a good report, sounds like you had agood time. We fished the Waal where you fished in June. No Barbel or Ide but lots of Bream. We waded, what a river - loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.