Holidays

smiffy

Site Supporter
Is anyone planning to getaway abroad this summer?
Thought I’d post my experience for anyone thinking of a late getaway.
Me and the missus initially thought it a bit daunting when looking at all the forms that needed filling out but decided to bite the bullet and go for it.
We went to Menorca as we have a property out there that we hadn’t seen for a year and a half. The Spanish locator form was easy. Getting proof of full vaccination on the NHS app was a breeze and insurance is available through Jet2, who we booked our flights with. We printed everything out as it’s easier at check in. Stanstead was very quiet and all the checks were easy and quick with directions and instruction being given at all the usual checkpoints. Our flight was about 30 people short of being full so social distancing was good.
On arrival we showed our proof of double jabs and our locator forms before passport control, after which we were done.
To come home you have to book a day 2 PCR test and take an antigen test in Menorca 48hrs before flying home. There’s lots of places to get an antigen test in Spain at about €30 a time. Me and the missus were both negative🥳.
Booking a PCR test is straight forward. Me and my partner ordered ours online before we flew out. They were home tests from Randox and the GOV.UK site has a list of places where you get them from. The Locator form to come home is straightforward and you need your PCR test booking reference to fill if out.
When you check in to come home all the relevant information is taken and if you have all the paperwork this means the only check you have back home is your passport.
We took the PCR test ourselves at home,registered the test, dropped it off at a drop off box and got the result the next day. Also negative.
We felt safer out there than we do here. No drinking at the bar and plenty of space between tables at the restaurants. If you can’t guarantee 1.5mtrs of space in the street then you need to wear a mask. You need to wear them inside all buildings.
Im glad we did it and the paperwork might be off putting to some but really isn’t that difficult. An hours online form filling either way I’d say.
My advice is, if you can do it, do it.

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not going abroad this year, but might still need a translator. Off to Norfolk, Yarmouth to be precise. :giggle:

smiffy

Site Supporter
Not going abroad this year, but might still need a translator. Off to Norfolk, Yarmouth to be precise. :giggle:
Good for you. We had a reason to travel but would have looked to get away over here if restrictions were still in place. After the last 18months or so we really needed to get some feeling of normality back, and a break. Although Stanstead was far from normal, being so quiet. Already booking up for September.
The season in the Balearics will probably be extended this year because of the many establishments that need our money to survive.

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Off to Blackpool for a few days in August,
Stopping of at Liverpool and Warrington on way back.
Then a week at Wooda Lakes ,Devon in October.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a good time. It will just be staycations for me. I don't mind those as can do some fishing. Already been to Charmouth. Trying to get my parents to go to Manor Farm, Evesham. Equally good is seeing my brother who's up from the Isle of Wight staying at my sisters house at the moment while my sister is in Cornwall. My brother in law has just sent me this pic of someone titled 'Coarse fishing with a view of the sea - Bude Canal'

budecanal.jpeg

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a good time. It will just be staycations for me. I don't mind those as can do some fishing. Already been to Charmouth. Trying to get my parents to go to Manor Farm, Evesham. Equally good is seeing my brother who's up from the Isle of Wight staying at my sisters house at the moment while my sister is in Cornwall. My brother in law has just sent me this pic of someone titled 'Coarse fishing with a view of the sea - Bude Canal'

budecanal.jpeg
Some decent carp in there as well,
When I was there earlier this year, there were a few anglers at the top end of left hand bank fishing for them.
To the right just out of the picture is a good tackle shop, and it sells Guru if you ever get down that way.
I see the angler is using the landing net head method for a pole roller.

smiffy

Site Supporter

budecanal.jpeg
A slight Mediterranean feel to that location👍

scuttster

Site Supporter

budecanal.jpeg
What a great picture. Beings there is the lock at the far end I would assume the water will contain a salt element. I would also guess there is also a small chance of some sea fish getting caught that may end up getting in there through the lock openings.

AdeB

budecanal.jpeg
Some decent fish in that stretch, went there one October and they were swimming up and down shallow

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No not likely abroad this year. Only slight chance is Cyprus in the autumn just because we’ve got friends there so if it goes balls up we can stay there for free. Will certainly be trying to get back to my annual Florida fishing trips next may/June though when we are eventually allowed back in as again we’ve got friends there to bail us out if required.

smiffy

Site Supporter
No not likely abroad this year. Only slight chance is Cyprus in the autumn just because we’ve got friends there so if it goes balls up we can stay there for free. Will certainly be trying to get back to my annual Florida fishing trips next may/June though when we are eventually allowed back in as again we’ve got friends there to bail us out if required.
That is a point. If you are unfortunate enough to test positive while you’re out there you need a plan in place for what’s happening at home because you won’t be allowed to board the plane. In our case it was boarding kennels so we discussed the possibility of them having to stay for longer. It is something you have to bear in mind though👍.
Cases are higher here than most of Europe so😉

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That is a point. If you are unfortunate enough to test positive while you’re out there you need a plan in place for what’s happening at home because you won’t be allowed to board the plane. In our case it was boarding kennels so we discussed the possibility of them having to stay for longer. It is something you have to bear in mind though👍.
Cases are higher here than most of Europe so😉
Yeah it’s not only in case you test positive which is probably quite unlikely now when vaccinated but there’s also the prospect of sudden changes to travel or quarantine rules which are probably still quite likely. I’d want to have somewhere to stay so too not get stung with massive accommodation bills hence why I’d only go places where we have friends at the moment.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Is anyone planning to getaway abroad this summer?
Thought I’d post my experience for anyone thinking of a late getaway.
Me and the missus initially thought it a bit daunting when looking at all the forms that needed filling out but decided to bite the bullet and go for it.
We went to Menorca as we have a property out there that we hadn’t seen for a year and a half. The Spanish locator form was easy. Getting proof of full vaccination on the NHS app was a breeze and insurance is available through Jet2, who we booked our flights with. We printed everything out as it’s easier at check in. Stanstead was very quiet and all the checks were easy and quick with directions and instruction being given at all the usual checkpoints. Our flight was about 30 people short of being full so social distancing was good.
On arrival we showed our proof of double jabs and our locator forms before passport control, after which we were done.
To come home you have to book a day 2 PCR test and take an antigen test in Menorca 48hrs before flying home. There’s lots of places to get an antigen test in Spain at about €30 a time. Me and the missus were both negative🥳.
Booking a PCR test is straight forward. Me and my partner ordered ours online before we flew out. They were home tests from Randox and the GOV.UK site has a list of places where you get them from. The Locator form to come home is straightforward and you need your PCR test booking reference to fill if out.
When you check in to come home all the relevant information is taken and if you have all the paperwork this means the only check you have back home is your passport.
We took the PCR test ourselves at home,registered the test, dropped it off at a drop off box and got the result the next day. Also negative.
We felt safer out there than we do here. No drinking at the bar and plenty of space between tables at the restaurants. If you can’t guarantee 1.5mtrs of space in the street then you need to wear a mask. You need to wear them inside all buildings.
Im glad we did it and the paperwork might be off putting to some but really isn’t that difficult. An hours online form filling either way I’d say.
My advice is, if you can do it, do it.
Useful info there Smiffy! Nice one mate!