Holidays in the Wye valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan heaphurst

Once again two weeks to fish this glorious river between Ross on Wye and Monmouth. Arriving on July 29th the river was six foot up but falling, with no more heavy rain forecast, I was optimistic and eager.
It was still Thursday before I could get a bait near to the fish though. I fished one of my favorite pegs called "Lionels Stone", it is a swim I have taken many Barbel from in the past few years. Today though I fished it with a big kerdonging heavy float and the cetrepin. Fishing on the edge of the flow and into the slacker water I was soon into smallish Chub and Roach. I was happy to be fishing at all after the high water, so I was enjoying myself. However I was reeling in a chub of about a pound when the line takes off into midstream. A pike of ten pounds or so had hijacked my catch from under my feet. I had him on for a few minutes but inevitably He let go in the end. The Pike did not bother me again so I suppose he was satisfied with his Chub breakfast. The catch of this session was a smallish Barbel of four pound or so, not a monster for this part of the Wye but to catch, play and land it on the pin was an experience not to be forgotten. To feel the sheer power of the fish through the edge on the reel drum and to try and keep up with it when it ran at me was just pure magic.
I had a few more short sessions before the final assault of the holiday last Thursday. Fishing this time at "Geoges Hut" which is where the Salmon anglers go when it rains(soft sods), I am into a small Chub and Barbel in the first two chucks. Then nothing for an hour or so. Any ideas why, suggestions gratefully accepted. Anyhow I had just returned a Barbel of six when the wife and eldest son and heir arrive with some much needed lunch. The lad is looking after the rod whilst I am getting stuck into a pork pie, yes your right, over goes the rod and he is into a good fish. He plays and lands an eight pound Barbel, best fish of the holiday. If there is any consolation to be taken from this episode, it is that as his Dad I taught him to fish.
I fished on until late taking more small Chub and Barbel. The river seems full of smallish Chub this year. This day I was fishing an open-ended feeder with tinned hotdog sausage on the hook. I always seem to well on hot dogs.
If you ever get the chance to fish the Wye near to Symonds Yat Take it you will not be disappointed.

Parfy

I've always fancied a visit. Was up there on cricket tour last week and had a quick walk along the river. How do you go about obtaining tickets, is there plenty of day ticket stretchs around there?

Ivan heaphurst

Prince Albert have the rights on some stretches but there are day ticket stretches about. Upstream at Lydbrook is day ticket. Downstream from the car park 500yds in Lydbrook is day ticket, that is if any one comes to collect.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Ivan
went last week on the Wye about 25 miles outside of Hereford called Bredwardine. Stayed at a pub called the Red Lion and they provided area where to fish. The river was in great condition and like you I caught Chubb and Barbel, caught me PB Barbel 6lb 7oz whilst this is small to some I was really pleased with it. Hope to go again next year, the area is really beautiful.

Ivan heaphurst

Simon glad you enjoyed the area and the fishing. It is a very picturesque part of the world, I don't know the area were you fished but have heard others speak highly of it. If it is anything like the area I have fished, then you have fished one of best bits of river in the country.

KenM

Hmm, I live within 30 mins of the stretches that you were fishing, yet I bet that I haven't fished the wye more than twice in the last few years. There is a nice free stretch on the monnow in the centre of monmouth which when I fished it last gave me 12 Barbel to a couple of pounds in a morning session (this was a very good stretch for the dace in the cooler months, not sure how it is now), there are a couple of pegs where the monnow and wye join and I had my PB chub of 6lb 1 out from there.

But reading your post has stirred things up and I'll have to see if I can convince my fishing buddy to try a day out up there and just keep it simple.

Ivan heaphurst

Ken I know the Monnow in Monmouth and seen some of the fish that live in it. I have to say though that if I lived as close as you to the Wye I would be living on the river. You lucky sod.

Tight lines
Ivan.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Theres 4 cracking pegs behind the church at Symonds Yat Ivan. Its Newport Anglers water but day tickets are available on the bank on the scant chance that you meet a bailif.
Im up for a day on the Wye anytime you like Ken me old Mucker.
I fancy another go on the Taff as well.
I need to buy myself a new heavy feeder rod first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.