Holidaying in the UK.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Go to Benidorm as cousins of mine do. Off the plane, get checked in then find a pub that sells English beer and a restaurant that serves English style food. Nothing better than a foreign holiday!!!!!!

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Go to Benidorm as cousins of mine do. Off the plane, get checked in then find a pub that sells English beer and a restaurant that serves English style food. Nothing better than a foreign holiday!!!!!!
Oh Come on Geoff, you on Levante beach in your budgie smugglers sipping a sangria or two? You'd love it?

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh Come on Geoff, you on Levante beach in your budgie smugglers sipping a sangria or two? You'd love it?

Nothing better than a weekend or a week at Eye Kettleby in one of their glamping pods and having a choice of 6 lakes to fish. SWMBO is happy sitting in the sunshine reading a book while I indulge in my dangling!!!!

@Godber I was dragged up in Hastings and lived yards from the sea for a couple of years. Cannot stand the sea side, would much rather be inland by lakes or rivers.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Haven't ever had a passport and never will have.
Have been hospitalised for severe sunburn in this country and didn't like it at all, skin grafts hurt. So too much sun is a no no.
This island (England Scotland and Wales) has everything I could wish for. Countryside with views that are magnificent and everything you could wish for right here and it's so simple to get to , all of it ! Us antiques with a bus pass can travel everywhere or if you have a car this island is your oyster. Magnificent buildings, villages, towns and cities and even a good beach or two. I haven't even mentioned angling !
Don't have to wait for planes for hours, because of strikes, weather then sit in a box for hours with nothing to look at out of the window. Don't have to change money or get extra insurance just in case. What for to go to a bar that sells english beer and food ,or get food poisoning, then off to the beach to get cooked .
No thanks a good old British holiday for us.
So much I/ we haven't seen or visited yet and I don't think I will live long enough to see half of it.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have travelled all over the UK, from Lands End in the South West up to John O Groats in the North East, round the top of Scotland and all the way down the West coast of Scotland. Made a few trips to Ireland, North and South and The Channel Islands.

No finer views than looking over the Isle of Skye from the top of the Applecross peninsular, or looking down Glen Docherty towards Kinlochewe.

No need to learn a foreign language or lose money on exchange rates

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I agree that there’s nowhere nicer than the scenic parts of England, Wales and Ireland on a nice day. Been to I think 6 countries in Europe and whilst nice in places they don’t do it for me compared to home. That said I do love my annual trips to Florida. Usually great weather, great fishing, nice people, decent food, still relatively affordable and a lot less of the nonsense that we have here although they do replace it with a bit of their own. There’s plenty of other places I’d like to go in the world but they are a lot more expensive!

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Sod that, l want 2 weeks solid sunshine, drinking, eating, swimming. I live and work in this country for 50 weeks of the year, l've lived in 12 different parts of it, north south east and west, travelled the length and breadth of it and yes it is nice but, give me the med, just for a short while to get these old bones just a little bit burnt. ?

Chervil

Site Supporter
At the end of the day it's horses for courses. As long as you enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
We tend to holiday in this country. I'm fortunate, in that I normally get 3 weeks fishing, staying in 5* lodges. Up until last year, we hadn't been abroad for years. Last year we went out to Gibraltar to visit our son and this year we are recently back from two weeks in New York. Luckily I've also got two trips to Eye Kettleby booked, one later this month and one in October.
We have sat down and discussed some of the countries we want to visit and intend to tick them off over the coming years.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Haven't ever had a passport and never will have.
Have been hospitalised for severe sunburn in this country and didn't like it at all, skin grafts hurt. So too much sun is a no no.
This island (England Scotland and Wales) has everything I could wish for. Countryside with views that are magnificent and everything you could wish for right here and it's so simple to get to , all of it ! Us antiques with a bus pass can travel everywhere or if you have a car this island is your oyster. Magnificent buildings, villages, towns and cities and even a good beach or two. I haven't even mentioned angling !
Don't have to wait for planes for hours, because of strikes, weather then sit in a box for hours with nothing to look at out of the window. Don't have to change money or get extra insurance just in case. What for to go to a bar that sells english beer and food ,or get food poisoning, then off to the beach to get cooked .
No thanks a good old British holiday for us.
So much I/ we haven't seen or visited yet and I don't think I will live long enough to see half of it.
Well said tinca me son, airports are like ants nests to be avoided at all costs!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
At the end of the day it's horses for courses. As long as you enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
We tend to holiday in this country. I'm fortunate, in that I normally get 3 weeks fishing, staying in 5* lodges. Up until last year, we hadn't been abroad for years. Last year we went out to Gibraltar to visit our son and this year we are recently back from two weeks in New York. Luckily I've also got two trips to Eye Kettleby booked, one later this month and one in October.
We have sat down and discussed some of the countries we want to visit and intend to tick them off over the coming years.
If you are at Eye Kettleby at the end of August I might have a drive down for the day for a days fishing. Only 79 miles.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
We're in Cornwall now, love the place fished a match yesterday, then did a pleasure session on Gwinear today. The lad had over 200lb today and now he's out surfing with his pals. Not a bad day in the life of a 13 year old.
Been here 10 days and still got just over 2 weeks left.