Holiday to Melbourne Airline and Landmark Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Hello all!

In a few weeks I'm off to Melbourne for 3 weeks from 14th November to 4th December. I was after some advice as this is my first time in aus and my first long-haul flight too!

Firstly, what airline would you guys recommend based on experience? I have been looking at Etihad Airways which do a reasonable return fare Birmingham to Melbourne via Amsterdam and Dubai with good departure and arrival times. Does anybody know what food and beverages are complimentary and what costs extra onboard?

Also, I'm thinking of going for business class since the idea of sitting cramped in a window seat of a row of 3, with two others between me and freedom to walk about the cabin makes me a bit dubious of economy. Plus the business class seats recline to beds and I'm fairly sure there's a better service. I'm basing this on experience of my longest 5 hour flight to turkey which was damn uncomfortable (each time with different airlines too!) and I'm not sure that it's gonna be pleasant flying for around 20 hours altogether in those seats!

Once I'm there, are there any must do and must sees that I should know about? :)

Thanks,

Ed

Shez

I've flown Cathay Pacific, to Bali, and more recently Emirates, to South Africa. Not much to choose between either apart from CP gave us a free upgrade for one of our flights. Both good airlines with good service, will hopefully be using one of them again in the coming years.

The long haul flights tend to give you a decent amount of space, I'm 6'2" and had plenty of room. Both long haul holidays lasted the best part of a day, including transfers, etc. There was plenty of films, tv, music, games, etc to choose from and we also took a tablet loaded with dvd's for our waits between flights.
Economy class is pretty good on long haul, 1st class is excellent, can't comment on business class.
Usually your food & drink is included in your ticket price, unless you have a taste for the bubbly stuff!

I guess, for me anyway, it would all come down to price. If it's close then I'd upgrade but otherwise I'd sooner spend my money on my holiday than getting there / back. Pick your economy seats carefully and you'll have a decent flight. My choice is the last few window seats at the back of economy, there are 2 or 3 sets of just 2 seats and some of those have a decent amount of space at the side of the window seat to store your bag, etc.

Browner

Melbourne is famous for its trams which run in and around the city. The Rialto Tower is good and has a observation deck and restaurant The MCG is another landmark worth a visit especially if there is a game on. Out side of the city but within Victoria you have places like Halls Gap which is good for a hike and on the south coast you have the seven apostles. Echuca is on the Murry river and is an oldy worldly mining town that's worth a look but a bit of a drive.

philhayes1

Emirates is a good airline. You won't have to pay anything for food or drink on board. I've done Oz loads of times. Economy is not too bad, but if you can afford it, yes I'd upgrade.
The MCG is great, do a tour. Also the Rod Laver arena where the Oz Open tennis is, is just opposite the MCG. You can walk from the city along the river to the MCG.
I think the trams in the city centre are free.Just hop on.Great city. You'll love it!

Phil

Last edited:

dam

Account Locked
Etihad don't fly to Dubai, they fly to Abu Dhabi if you fly with them from Birmingham you will first fly to Amsterdam with KLM or Dusseldorf with Jet2 and pick up the Etihad flight from there to Abu Dhabi. You would be better flying with Emirates which is a single flight to Dubai and a better transit airport than Abu Dhabi.

If it come down to just cost any of the middle eastern airlines are the best to fly with, Emirates, Etihad or Qatar are good as well, although if you go with Qatar make sure your connections in the middle east are short ad the terminal in Doha is minute compared to the Emirates pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.