Holiday in America next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lid

My Father wants to go on holiday in America next week with his (newish) womanfriend for about 14 - 21 days as she has some relatives there. They want to spend about half the time in New York and the rest in Florida.

They know nothing about such matters, and to be honest neither do I. They haven't got much money to spend, so can anyone advise me how to find flights and accommodation for them as they can't stay with the relatives. I suppose the absolute total maximum budget would be a 2k, but I just saw a whole 14 day holiday next for week for 279 each in Orlando.

Thanks.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
hm dunno about flights or accomadation mate but give him two names & remind him his life depends on it.

bass shop pro
&
cabbelas[:D]

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Happyeater

I've found that some of the best deals are on ceefax/teletext for flights. Companies like travelbag etc do excellent late deals. Just go have a look and see, keep a pen & paper handy though to scribble quick notes and telephone numbers as they take ages to 'come back around'.

On line try www.cheapflights.com or another like it (Yahoo or google)

Accomodation is cheap out there, they'll find some decent hotels no problem at all, especially at this time of year. Alternatively they can look at the Holiday Inn type of websites to book online (even for the 1st night so they know they've got somewhere they can go).

Most importantly tell em to have fun, its a great place.
Make sure they ask for a taxi price from the Airport to the hotel before they get in though, it can be a real rip off.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Lid - the Florida part won't be particularly expensive - and especially with the exchange rate these days where 2K - $3,100+ USD.

But if you mean New York City when you say New York - that one is just plain gonna cost more. Elsewhere in New York State, not so bad but the city is expensive.

And FWIW, BassPro is having their annual spring sale thru March 11. Some seriously good prices including a variety of rebel lures (plugs mostly) for $0.99 each (0.62) and their Mitchell 300X and 308X for $29.95 and an additional $10 rebate after you buy the reel (18.9 - 6.3 rebate).

I was in the one near me Saturday and the 308X looks identical to the 300X except quite a bit smaller. Great looking reel if you are fishing light gear.

And there is a BassPro in Orlando. Tell him they can spend a few free hours looking at all the fish in a really huge tank each store operates. Large enough there is a platform at one end for casting so they can demo various lures. Should have every freshwater species found in Florida in there.

Newt Vail

Lid

Thanks folks. Happyeater, he's looking through teletext as I type.

Newt, it's New York City itself and we are already driving ourselves nuts looking into it all. He's left it a bit late to organise it properly and doesn't feel they can deal with it when he's actually there. I dunno, parents, eh!!

Yikes, I just bought a Mitchell 300x and it cost me 40 including discount!!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Lid,

I've been looking at flights and the better deals seem to be on www.ebookers.com

Some flights were a lot cheaperthan booking with the airlines themselves [:)]

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Lid - the 300X is normally $40 most places over here. Still cheaper than in the UK but about right if the UK sellers are having to add in duty and VAT.

But I mis-spoke. The BassPro sale is thru March 9 rather than March 11.

Newt Vail

AndyA

Hey Lid, I'm expecting a postcard mate...... you lucky divil you.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

http://aa-computerrescue.cjb.net

Lid

Right. Thanks for all the advice. He's booking through Trailfinders. Got flights at 200 each including all taxes and 7 days in the 4* Metropolitan Hotel for 300 each.

They'll arrange internal flights and accommodation to Florida, or wherever, for the second week when they get there.

Travel insurance was a headache because of a couple of pre-existing medical conditions for both of them, but I found the best deal by miles from Endsleigh Insurance at 138 total for both of them.

I've just got to give them my shopping list now!!!

Last edited:

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Lid - FWIW you got me all inspired. Stopped in BassPro on the way to work today and, among other items, got me two of the Mitchell 308X reels (needed a couple of new small reels) and 1,980 yards of camo 6lb b/s line in a limp mono. Also couldn't resist the 470cc bottles of crayfish scent (got 3) and the wife went ga-ga over a baitcasting outfit so we got that as well. Reel was worth more than the combo so I will probably move it do a lighter rod for her since her lure angling is usually with fairly light lures.

Not sure if I saved a bunch of money or spent way too much. :)

Newt Vail

Lid

Hi Newt - right, crayfish scent is going on the list for starters. How much did the line cost you? I'm sure you saved money in the long run.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
The line was $5 for 1980 yards (little over 3). Made for BassPro by some firm in Germany and the normal retail price is only a couple dollars higher than the sale price right now. No small spools though so you have to get the 1/4 lb ones. I spooled up 3 reels with it today and like the way it behaves. Reasonably limp. Not much memory when off the spool. Colors are nice - dull brown, green shading into each other with a touch of yellow in places. It was developed and is being sold for crappie fishing and they are probably the most shy of any fish in the US that anglers regularly target.

Bass Pro Shops Mr. Crappie line normal prices
$6.99 per 1/4 lb spool in camo or hi-vis yellow - sale price is $4.99
4 LB 3100 YARDS
6 LB 1980 YARDS
8 LB 1750 YARDS

And FWIW, I like the way the Mitchell 308X reels behave, given that I haven't fished with them yet.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.