Holibobs time - bait and tactics for Rudd ?

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Every chance I may be overdoing it - can lose the match combo and use Jacob’s 10 footer only with the 125m (and pin) as it’s easier for him to cast with & we can pellet waggler or float fish with it. Bomb rod and pole plus Jacob’s pole seem essential giving him an ideal margin option and me a sleeper if required.

Really don’t want to lose the pole as I may be rapidly falling in love with fishing it.

Nah mate, sack the pole off for this one. I went on a similar holiday in May and took two waggler rods and an 8’ feeder between two of us. Pellet waggler ended up being the #1 tactic.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As I said mate absolutely no maggots or casters - forbidden, banned, disallowed all on pain of death or worse
How about dead maggots they won’t get away! I’m thinking much along the same lines for a boat holiday I’ve got with some mates next month as live maggots getting here there and everywhere on a rental boat is not a good thought 😅

If not you’ll definitely catch Rudd on punch and you’ll get a few on hemp amongst the roach. Tbh stocking Rudd is usually a disaster as places often end up with millions of stunted ones that’ll hit almost any bait other than like hemp, tares, pellets etc so your problem will probably be avoiding them rather than catching them as they can be like Stillwater bleak.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I just came back from a caravan holiday 2 weeks ago where there was a pond on site full of rudd. I caught them fishing 10 inches deep fishing 4mm banded hard pellet and feeding 4mm hard pellet through a cad pot with holes drilled out of the lid. Keep a tight line between the pole tip and the float and they hook themselves every time. Had 300 of them in 4.5 hours.

SUFC

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Tek some plastic maggots wi'thi. 👍
Looks very inviting that photo...
Was going to have a poster made and pinned up on my wall with a countdown chart written on it - if they’ve done that much work with platforms I can only hope there’s a decent stock level in it

OldTaff

Site Supporter
How about dead maggots they won’t get away! I’m thinking much along the same lines for a boat holiday I’ve got with some mates next month as live maggots getting here there and everywhere on a rental boat is not a good thought 😅

If not you’ll definitely catch Rudd on punch and you’ll get a few on hemp amongst the roach. Tbh stocking Rudd is usually a disaster as places often end up with millions of stunted ones that’ll hit almost any bait other than like hemp, tares, pellets etc so your problem will probably be avoiding them rather than catching them as they can be like Stillwater bleak.
Good to know - if there’s that many Jacob can fish solo next to me and I’ll go on the bomb for carpies or whatever

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I just came back from a caravan holiday 2 weeks ago where there was a pond on site full of rudd. I caught them fishing 10 inches deep fishing 4mm banded hard pellet and feeding 4mm hard pellet through a cad pot with holes drilled out of the lid. Keep a tight line between the pole tip and the float and they hook themselves every time. Had 300 of them in 4.5 hours.
Short lash as well as a tight line or avoid having the pole directly over their heads with a longer lash kept tight ?

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I fished a longer lash about 18-20 inches but I don't think it would have made a difference. I sprinkled the pellets from about 4ft so they would make a bit noise as they hit the water..