Holibobs time - bait and tactics for Rudd ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have 7 more sleeps to our holiday in sunny Devon in a lovely cottage with this outside the door:

19FF1C0E-85D7-4B45-9254-41B710136550.jpeg

The blurb online says it’s stocked primarily with carp & rudd with “some” roach and a smattering of other species (all a bit vague) and as it’s a family holiday with a bit of fishing kit needs to be kept to a minimum and absolutely no maggots or casters permitted.

Kit list as agreed with my beloved is as follows :

12’ feeder rod & Okuma reel
13’ Daiwa match rod & 125m (will sneak centrepin in too)
13.5m pole
Jacob’s 4m pole and 10’ float rod + Cadence CS4 reel
4m landing net

Also taking a 6’ spinning rod for a spot of LRF when we hit the beaches and breakwaters.

My bait list is:

pellets (2mm/4mm/6mm/8mm)
expanders (6mm & 8mm)
hemp (plus a flask to prep it in)
pedigree chum mixers
a multitude of squirty stuff - spicy sausage, banoffee & choc orange haze, super scopex bait booster

Flirted with the idea of a bag or two of paste and groundbait but think I may be over complicating things as this is a low pressured lake

Basically all I can cram into a pair of roof tubes and a single bag ;)

There are also the standard kitchen cupboard staples like sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread, etc in general food stocks

Terminal tackle is a small toolbox of inline bombs, pole floats and made up rigs, a wide selection of Drennan Crystal wagglers (loaded and unloaded), Preston pellet wagglers and the bits I need to make up extra pole rigs on site, hook tying kit, weights, blah, blah.

I‘m happy we can bash out carp on most of this lot and probably roach with hemp and punched bread but haven‘t fished for rudd for more than 15yrs and when I did caster was king - if I do decide to have a go then what do folks recommend from the above list as go to baits and tactics and is there an essential I‘ve overlooked?

Realistically it will be very early morning session before breakfast followed by a day trip out somewhere then a session before dinner, maybe even one or two after dinner too.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve always found maggot, up in the water, on a waggler to be best. Feed consistently.
Could try the 4mtr pole to hand.

As I said mate absolutely no maggots or casters - forbidden, banned, disallowed all on pain of death or worse

smiffy

Site Supporter
As I said mate absolutely no maggots or casters - forbidden, banned, disallowed all on pain of death or worse
My bad. Didn’t see that.
Anything you can feed that will fall through the water slowly should work. Feed hemp, fish expander.

Silver fan 82

I have 7 more sleeps to our holiday in sunny Devon in a lovely cottage with this outside the door:

The blurb online says it’s stocked primarily with carp & rudd with “some” roach and a smattering of other species (all a bit vague) and as it’s a family holiday with a bit of fishing kit needs to be kept to a minimum and absolutely no maggots or casters permitted.

13.5m pole
4m landing net

Also taking a 6’ spinning rod for a spot of LRF when we hit the beaches and breakwaters.

My bait list is:

expanders (6mm & 8mm)
pedigree chum mixers
a multitude of squirty stuff - spicy sausage, banoffee & choc orange haze, super scopex bait booster

Flirted with the idea of a bag or two of paste and groundbait but think I may be over complicating things as this is a low pressured lake

There are also the standard kitchen cupboard staples like sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread, etc in general food stocks

Terminal tackle is a small toolbox of inline bombs, pole floats and made up rigs, a wide selection of Drennan Crystal wagglers (loaded and unloaded), Preston pellet wagglers and the bits I need to make up extra pole rigs on site, hook tying kit, weights, blah, blah.

I‘m happy we can bash out carp on most of this lot and probably roach with hemp and punched bread but haven‘t fished for rudd for more than 15yrs and when I did caster was king - if I do decide to have a go then what do folks recommend from the above list as go to baits and tactics and is there an essential I‘ve overlooked?

Realistically it will be very early morning session before breakfast followed by a day trip out somewhere then a session before dinner, maybe even one or two after dinner too.
I'd definitely fish breadflake for the rudd mate. And corn. Probably two of the best Rudd baits out there. I would feed corn especially if you're using it on the hook. Try corn skins for a slow sinking bait on the drop. Feeding 2mm pellets will also draw them in.

Silver fan 82

Just to add mate try pinging out pieces of bread flake with a catapult around your flat, this can pick off the bigger ones.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have a good un OT. Hopefully you’ll come back still married. Remember to smile and be pleasant when your better half is dragging you around the shops won’t you 🤣🤣👍

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter

13.5m pole
4m landing net

My bait list is:

expanders (6mm & 8mm)
pedigree chum mixers

I've took less gear to a match mate😀

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Have a good un OT. Hopefully you’ll come back still married. Remember to smile and be pleasant when your better half is dragging you around the shops won’t you 🤣🤣👍
Bless her she actually chose this cottage for us so I could get some fishing in with Jacob - we’ve a loose plan of meeting up for picnics with family who live in that neck of the woods we rarely see, plenty of trips to the seaside as Jacob would live on a beach or in the sea if he could. Things like animal parks or other tourist attractions will undoubtedly creep in but no shops whatsoever - she’s already booked an Ocado delivery to the cottage on the evening we arrive so she doesn’t even have to see a supermarket.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I've took less gear to a match mate😀

Every chance I may be overdoing it - can lose the match combo and use Jacob’s 10 footer only with the 125m (and pin) as it’s easier for him to cast with & we can pellet waggler or float fish with it. Bomb rod and pole plus Jacob’s pole seem essential giving him an ideal margin option and me a sleeper if required.

Really don’t want to lose the pole as I may be rapidly falling in love with fishing it.

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The rudd in our ponds (and there's bloody loads of them) will take anything except hard pellet. They're particlarly fond of expanders & corn.

melvyn

Head Blanker
I don't think you are tacking to much tackle . I am off to Docklow pools in August. Tackle list is 1 float rod, 1 avon rod (2 tips), 1 &ft grays stalker rod, 1 13mter pole. ! bait runner reel. 10 ready made up rigs. Should be enough for.the 8 or so pools.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
I’ve been around there today and had a word with the fish and told them to shut up shop if they hear somebody with a Welsh accent 😘 Seriously though, hope you have a great time, it looks lovely there ❤️🎣

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I don't think you are tacking to much tackle . I am off to Docklow pools in August. Tackle list is 1 float rod, 1 avon rod (2 tips), 1 &ft grays stalker rod, 1 13mter pole. ! bait runner reel. 10 ready made up rigs. Should be enough for.the 8 or so pools.
Phew - that’s a relief

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve been around there today and had a word with the fish and told them to shut up shop if they hear somebody with a Welsh accent 😘 Seriously though, hope you have a great time, it looks lovely there ❤️🎣
I’ll get my boy to do the talking - half Welsh but very English spoken ;)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Sweetcorn & Bread.
Does the maggot ban extend to digging up local worms....take a small spade.

Aha - didn’t think of that - we are in the grounds of a large private college so probably not their front lawn though

We’ll have the boy’s buckets and spades for the beach and can always send him out so if he gets caught we can plead ignorance 🤫

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

Aha - didn’t think of that - we are in the grounds of a large private college so probably not their front lawn though

We’ll have the boy’s buckets and spades for the beach and can always send him out so if he gets caught we can plead ignorance 🤫
Taff, in your OP you say maggots and casters aren't permitted. Does this include worms?