Holding fish between fingers and thumb...

JayD

I think you'd have to pinch very hard to to be able to control a toddler using just the finger and thumb, even using the full hand and gripping tightly is likely to cause bruising. It's unlikely you'd hear a 'crunch' when holding a fish, it's more likely to be a squelch as we're talking about internal organs, not bones.

John.

Edit,
If you look at the pictures of those anglers holding fish, they are taken showing the grip on the finger side, where the pressure is spread out. If you were to see the thumb side, you would see the flesh of the fish being squashed in because the pressure is being concentrated into a much smaller area.

Robwooly

I don't hold them like that as not keen on that grip but do take lots of selfies, fish are beautiful and a well presented fish makes for a nice photo. The more you do it the better you get at it and if done correctly the only surfaces the fish touches are your wet hands and a wet net, much the same as unhooking or weighing.

When people take them out of the net, put on the grass/mat then put items of tackle around them it actually takes longer and involves more contact points than a fish held up for a camera

SUFC

In 60 years of fishing, I've never held a fish like that. If you are holding something between fingers and thumb, the heavier it is, the harder you have to pinch. The harder you pinch, the more the likelihood of causing damage to internal organs.

John.
Well said. In fact, on most fish, that area between the gills and the pectoral fins is where the fish's heart and liver are located.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As much as the squeeze it’s hanging all the weight from that point. Better to evenly distribute the weight than have it all go through one area.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Although I did like holding fish that weigh as it seemed a safe way to do so, no more damaging to a fish than a match weigh in eg. not at all, lessons have been learned and I won’t do it anymore, but I’d prefer to keep my old catch photos that were held like this as many of them are ‘prize’ fish to me, all the better that I hold them correctly from now on really.

stephanie

a lot of fisheries have rules where everything must be netted no matter what size and transfer them to your nets in landing nets to so negates having to pick fish up at all these days

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
As long as nothing goes crunch when you grip them l cant see the problem. You probably grip a toddlers hand tighter.
Internal organs of fish don't need to " crunch" to cause a terminal injury . Why leave anything to chance when the correct handling will improve the chance of survival immeasurably ?

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Internal organs of fish don't need to " crunch" to cause a terminal injury . Why leave anything to chance when the correct handling will improve the chance of survival immeasurably ?
No they dont need to crunch, they can get damaged by being out of water aswell, the longer the worse the damage. So, l get hold of the fish in the said manner, remove the hook and transfer to a keepnet or back into the lake. Nice and quick, no crunching, minimum of asphyxiation, no floaters.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
No they dont need to crunch, they can get damaged by being out of water aswell, the longer the worse the damage. So, l get hold of the fish in the said manner, remove the hook and transfer to a keepnet or back into the lake. Nice and quick, no crunching, minimum of asphyxiation, no floaters.
Thats a better " U Turn" than most politicians could achieve (y)

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Sorry but you've lost me now, what U turn?
Your original quote.
“ As long as nothing goes crunch when you grip them l cant see the problem. You probably grip a toddlers hand tighter.“

lp1886

Site Supporter
I see almost every match angler hold fish in exactly the same way. I’m not saying it’s the best way, but if it was causing any kind of damage to the fish every fishery in the country that holds matches would have no stock.

JayD

I see almost every match angler hold fish in exactly the same way. I’m not saying it’s the best way, but if it was causing any kind of damage to the fish every fishery in the country that holds matches would have no stock.
I've caught fish with lips missing, eyes missing, deformities, chunks out of them, and every one was still alive, not all damage to a fish is fatal. I've also seen World Champion anglers just tip a net full of fish back from a few feet, but I don't regard it as acceptable behaviour, just because it was done by an angling 'superstar'.

John.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Your original quote.
“ As long as nothing goes crunch when you grip them l cant see the problem. You probably grip a toddlers hand tighter.“
No U turn, just pointing out l grip my fish as shown gently but firmly to remove the hook quickly. l have no problem with the method, its not wrong. We all know once we land a fish and it is out of the water its internal organs are being damaged regardless of the way you hold it. The best place to prevent further damage and promote recovery is back in the water asap which this method of holding a fish lets me do.

lp1886

Site Supporter
I've caught fish with lips missing, eyes missing, deformities, chunks out of them, and every one was still alive, not all damage to a fish is fatal. I've also seen World Champion anglers just tip a net full of fish back from a few feet, but I don't regard it as acceptable behaviour, just because it was done by an angling 'superstar'.

John.
But that type of damage could quite easily have occurred naturally from other predators, not by being held.

JayD

But that type of damage could quite easily have occurred naturally from other predators, not by being held.
It was in reply to your post saying " but if it was causing any kind of damage to the fish every fishery in the country that holds matches would have no stock".
I was pointing out that damage to a fish, isn't always fatal, and the fish could be damaged, but still feed, and be caught, so there would be little, or no apparent loss of 'stock'.

John.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
On any catch and release trout lake I have fished, lifting a fish like that would get you banned. In fact, lifting a fish at all could get you banned on many of them.
Fish unhooked in net and returned in net as quickly as possible, without touching it.
Keepnets aren't used on trout lakes.
If that offends anyone, i'm sorry, but it's true.

TimFB

Fish should only be held horizontally fully supported, if you need to hold them up at all. 99% of my fish are unhooked in the net resting on a mat and returned using the net .... ie it is rare for me to hold the at all apart from an even rarer photo.

ATTICUS FINCH

FFS you lot will be advocating rubber hooks next ,like godber says hold fish extract hook and put in net or return to the water ,seconds and no harm to the fish other than a small hole in the lip .which judging by you lot won't be happening anytime soon as you are worried about a bloody fish being held in one hand to take the hook out.
The op sounds like a bloody anti and you have all jumped in with him being a snowflake for the fish .ask yourself why you go fishing if you are worried about the so called right way to handle them .
The hook probably does more harm ,so I wouldn't worry about holding a fish vertical for a couple of seconds.