Holdall or hardcase?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Hi - does it still have the hard plastic bottom like the old hardcase ones used to have ?
No it doesn’t. But with the pockets inside for the butt sections, there is no need as the end of the rods are not near the end.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@siverfisher if you decide to start feeding before you've plumbed your swim and had a couple runs down how do you know your feeding is in the right place and you've not got a snag or weed bed or the swim is just to shallow or deep for how and what your feeding.
In my case because I’ve usually fished the peg several times before 😂

Jokes aside I set one rod up first before any feeding to plumb up and get a general feel for the swim on the day pace and bottom structure wise then I feed whilst setting up the second and sometimes third rod 👍

Last edited:

stikflote

Site Supporter
Has anyone used the Cresta rod hardcase 175 looks like it can take a few rods
also looks very big

stephenk

Site Supporter
No it doesn’t. But with the pockets inside for the butt sections, there is no need as the end of the rods are not near the end.
Ok thanks - difficult to tell from online pics.

Strange though - it looks like the 6 rod version does have a plastic base.

I've got the hardcase at the moment..but you cant fit a brolly in the brolly pocket 😒

I really wonder is some companies actually field test their products

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Anyone got any recommendations of 2 or 3 rod hard rod bags/holdalls/sleeves whatever you want to call them for 3 piece rods so I guess say 1.5m long? Or soft ones that’ll take tubes?

Total

Site Supporter
Hi - does it still have the hard plastic bottom like the old hardcase ones used to have ?
They don't Stephen, they have a black dimpled rubberised end cap and won't wear dragging around on rough ground which you could get away with the old plastic hardcases.

In the 'Supera' luggage collection the only pieces of luggage to have the old plastic bases are their carryall and large bait bag....(y)

Last edited:

TiggerXFM

Anyone got any recommendations of 2 or 3 rod hard rod bags/holdalls/sleeves whatever you want to call them for 3 piece rods so I guess say 1.5m long? Or soft ones that’ll take tubes?
I have an old daiwa one that holds about 3 or 4 tubes, this ngt one looks very similar. They hold a brolly and sticks also.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Anybody got the nufish ready rod holdall / any reviews / feedback

Looks ok...and has a brolly pouch.
nufish_195cm_ready_rod_bag_1_1.jpg

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I was looking at the Preston supera holdall but then seen the 4 rod hardcase.

I like the idea of having the rods set up in the hardcase but I'm a bit dubious of damaging the rods as they are very thin and expensive. ( I'm used to carp and sea rods).

Would you go for the holdall with rod tubes and set the rods up each time or hardcase and have them set up ready?

Also.... if I go for the hardcase and have the rods set up how do I store the tip rod without snapping it?

Thanks.
I use 2 separate tricast hard cases , theyre very good for rods of equal sections ,1 longer section and one shorter section rods can be a pain as you have to break the feeder tip down also.

Total

Site Supporter
I use 2 separate tricast hard cases , theyre very good for rods of equal sections ,1 longer section and one shorter section rods can be a pain as you have to break the feeder tip down also.
^^(y)....And the older Tri cast feeder rods (eg 4*4 and Springer feeder rods etc) are awful for that, odd length sections...PIB to use with a ready rod case...:rolleyes:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
^^(y)....And the older Tri cast feeder rods (eg 4*4 and Springer feeder rods etc) are awful for that, odd length sections...PIB to use with a ready rod case...:rolleyes:
Yes brilliant rods but i hate the odd size sections

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Silverfisher I use one of these in the 190cm 6 rod.

And each rod has a tip and but protectors. So far no real damage couple scuffs on the Cork and one of the rods has a scratch on the carbon but my fault when packed away, I don't generally have the line threaded in the rings of my stick n bolo rods but I do have wagglers pre set with float stops and no8 droppers, my bolo's and sticks are on winders. My feeder rods are generally unset using braid and setting up just a meter of mono there ready on spools connected loop to loop either helicopter, free running and paternoster, the rod ready saves me carrying a holdall with upto 9 reels in. Yes I have set 3 float rods up and 2 feeders it does not happen alot but it does happen. I'll also set multiple rods when I'm experimenting with rigs to see how the fish respond. At the end of the day if your happy with what doing keep doing it. I recon taking a brolly out and the tubs it halfed the weight.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t fit one that big in my car unfortunately. I’d Just get one that would take at least 2 3 piece float rods either in
tubes if it’s a soft case or out of tubes if it’s a hard case. If I get one with an extra space that I could put in a whip and net handle then that would just be a bonus. At the moment I just lay the rods in tubes tucked into my chair with then the net handle and bank sticks on top which is fine most of the time but not ideal for longer walks so I probably should get a proper compact holdall type thing.