Holdall or hardcase?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick ......Mick, is it worth you shelling out £85 for the four rod holdall if the Airity ones you've got are still serviceable?

Oh they are well serviceable pal. They’re like new. No, it’s just I thought it would be easier than having all those double ready rods floating about. Just the one ready rod then. That’s all that was.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@62tucker I think we should start a thread hijack club .
There are a couple of prospective members on here.
271-2716814_pirate-skull-sabres-danger-flag-hd-png-download.jpg

Says you. 🤣🤣

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I use a supera 190cm 6 rod two side pockets and tip case compartment , get 2 14ft 2 15ft float rods then it's either 2 tip rods a 12ft and 11ft or another 2 float rods 13ft and 11ft I also have a single preston hardcase or a browning doubble 190cm for matches it's the kitchen sink but pleasure it's normally the browning and I'll pick what comes with me, almost forgot a 13ft single sleeve for 2 peice feeder rod and my 8m whip and spare top 3 in one of the side pockets of the 6 rod bag. I use tip and but protectors like the ones above so far so good about 18months

62tucker

Site Supporter
@62tucker I think we should start a thread hijack club .
There are a couple of prospective members on here.
271-2716814_pirate-skull-sabres-danger-flag-hd-png-download.jpg
Could do but I only have 64gb phone 😉. If we went down the paper route of monitoring we would need a few reams.
Thread hijacker’s are the lowest of the low. I would never dream of it myself

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got the 4 rod 190cm Supera and think it's a great bit of kit.
Providing not all the rods are two section twelve footers and you're not using big pit reels it'll swallow up to 5 - possibly 6 rods without a struggle.
At the weekend I had two 12' tip rods and three 13' three piece float rods inside it - if the other float rod had anything other than the centrepin attached to it (5.5" diameter) it would probably have fitted too.

Simon

Spiro

Site Supporter
72796491-7BF2-43AE-A3C9-0E02CD4FCF81.png I’m using this one ,decent padding,Velcro,ect,it’s probably worth more than my rods,😂

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have these for most rods. Got them for carp rods but bought some more for my feeder rods and waggler rods.
Then put them in my hard case. Or sometimes on a quick session I just carry them to car like that. Take them off and ready to fish in 2 minutes
Ps. Always take weight off as can damage rod or snap tip of rod if not careful
E5A5BDB7-6C7F-4173-A4DB-30AA8DF75D35.png
I could have done with a butt protector last week😜

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I would keep them in their bags in solid tubes, takes a few minutes to make up a rod. Those rods you have are to valuable to risk damaging for the sake of a few minutes to tackle up…imo.
Go with tubes every time. It mite be classed as old fashioned these days but it's tried and tested.
Yeah all my float rods are stored in tubes as they are just too delicate for me to risk them in any sort of holdall although those hard cases which are essentially fabric covered tubes are probably just as good as tube so I’d get one if I had the money to justify one. Might get on in time for next season if I get the urge.

I certainly wouldnt keep them set up though. It takes so little time to set a rod up that it’s not worth the risk to leave them set up for me having seen plenty of mishaps and close shaves from clumsy people like me doing so. Makes me wince watching my grandad and uncle unpacking set up rods as there’s always something get caught up on something else somewhere and what not. The bit that takes a while setting up is getting the shotting and depth right which you have to do anyway regardless of whether rod and reel is already set up or not. The actual setting the rod and reel up (and getting a rough rig on to be fine turned later) doesnt take very long at all if you have fully functioning fingers and eyes which I appreciate not everyone has.

With feeder rods I’m far less bothered about having tubes though as they’re generally more robust and the vulnerable tips are in their own little tubes anyway. I wouldnt bother storing them set up either though as they take even less time to set up than a float rod.

I did used to pre set up sea rods tbf but they’re pretty bullet proof plus trying to tie braid and fairly thick mono or fluoro on a boat is a challenge when you don’t do it very regularly.

trotter2

Yeah all my float rods are stored in tubes as they are just too delicate for me to risk them in any sort of holdall although those hard cases which are essentially fabric covered tubes are probably just as good as tube so I’d get one if I had the money to justify one. Might get on in time for next season if I get the urge.

I certainly wouldnt keep them set up though. It takes so little time to set a rod up that it’s not worth the risk to leave them set up for me having seen plenty of mishaps and close shaves from clumsy people like me doing so. Makes me wince watching my grandad and uncle unpacking set up rods as there’s always something get caught up on something else somewhere and what not. The bit that takes a while setting up is getting the shotting and depth right which you have to do anyway regardless of whether rod and reel is already set up or not. The actual setting the rod and reel up (and getting a rough rig on to be fine turned later) doesnt take very long at all if you have fully function of fingers and eyes which I appreciate not everyone has.

With feeder rods I’m far less bothered about having tubes though as they’re generally more robust and the vulnerable tips are in their own little tubes anyway. I wouldnt bother storing them set up either though as they take even less time to set up than a float rod.

I did used to pre set up sea rods tbf but they’re pretty bullet proof plus trying to tie braid and fairly thick mono or fluoro on a boat is a challenge when you don’t do it very regularly.
Absolutely, if you carry a few floats already set up on a Winder. It takes minutes to get started and you can feed your peg while you get set up. 👍

nejohn

Site Supporter
I use a Mosella Kompact 4 which allows me to be very versatile. I can carry 4 made up rods in 2 shell cases in the front compartment and 4/5 other rods in tubes in the rear compartment or I can leave out 1 or both of the shell cases and carry upto 12 rod tubes. The quality is brilliant and the top to tail shell cases work really well and can even be carried on their own. Like everything it does have its down sides, it is very long but it has to be to carry 12ft 2 piece rods and the internal accessory pocket could be larger.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
All my various set ups except sea rods are in ready rod/hard cases.
Rods in bags in tubes still rattle about and can get damaged.
I can open a ready rod holdall and be fishing in under a minute.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
and you can feed your peg while you get set up. 👍
Yeah that’s a thing I think a lot of people overlook doing. Obviously can’t do it in matches but for pleasure fishing it can properly accelerate your peg as it’s almost like fishing for say quarter to half an hour before you start fishing if that makes sense.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I’ve used ready rod holdalls for years, broke a feeder rod tip once, my fault. I now use the Supera 4 rod. When travelling light I’ll carry a couple of rods one side and pole and a few kits the other. There is a very good side pocket I use for landing net handles. It’s a very good piece of kit and I have done a video review of it on my YouTube channel (Pauls Tackle Reviews) if anyone wants detailed info.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@siverfisher if you decide to start feeding before you've plumbed your swim and had a couple runs down how do you know your feeding is in the right place and you've not got a snag or weed bed or the swim is just to shallow or deep for how and what your feeding.

TiggerXFM

I do make one rod up before going fishing (only use one at a time), if I go on my own, which is for the biggest part. I make the rod up at home just before going (sometimes a few days before, but leave it on the floor of my tackle room without the reel screwed onto the rod) and then velcro strap or band it together so the sections are not touching. I only attatch the hook and float rubbers and add a piece of foam to the hook to prevent it catching into something. I just put the rod handle in the passenger seat footwell and rest the rod onto the seat, angle the back of the seat so the rod is touching it to prevent it sliding when I go round corners. On arrival to my destination I put the rod together and put the hook onto a guide leg or hook keeper and add the float and shot or olivet at my first swim.
I have the rod bag and tube in the back of the car and the rod is put into it's bag and the tube at the end of the session for the trip home.

I am amazed how many rods people take with them 😲😮.

stephenk

Site Supporter
I have a 4 rod 160cm Supera for some time now Mark. Very good with 2 Velcro straps to hold each rod in place, as well as a fixed padded insert for your butt section to slot into.
Hi - does it still have the hard plastic bottom like the old hardcase ones used to have ?

Total

Site Supporter
@siverfisher if you decide to start feeding before you've plumbed your swim and had a couple runs down how do you know your feeding is in the right place and you've not got a snag or weed bed or the swim is just to shallow or deep for how and what your feeding.
Guesswork and good fortune....(y)