Holdall or hardcase?

TiggerXFM

Each to their own I say.
But you must be quick setting a rod up if you can beat taking 2 protectors off. 10 seconds. Joining rod together. 10 seconds. Adding weight 10 seconds. Rod ready to go.
Ps I only pleasure fish with cheapish rods so anyone who match fishes with expensive rods might do different.
Back in the day when I was poor I used to used pipe lagging for tip protection.
Then upgraded to NGT 🤣.
Never owned a reel protector.
Did you ever see Alias Smith and Jones?.....did you see them draw in a gunfight 😉🤣.

Last edited:

Nicky Dodds

I have used ready rod cases since about 2008 and would never go back. I mainly got them for match fishing where set up time is invaluable for numpties like me. I mainly use theme for tip rods some of which are rigged up with braid and shockleader and these more often than not may not be torn down at the end of the session. Same with mono rods that dont get used they go back in the bag. I've never been a fan of rod bands and I started using the same tip and butt protectors as @62tucker to see what they were like. I've used them for 4 years now and again would not go back. Theres no need for any reel pouches in the ready rod bags as most have partitioned flaps to separate reels. Once you get used to the routine of using the protectors and the ready rod bags it becomes second nature and a rod can be set up within a minute. And anyone who thinks they can set up a rod from scratch quicker probably has the worlds blackest dog sat next to them.

Total

Site Supporter
I have used ready rod cases since about 2008 and would never go back. I mainly got them for match fishing where set up time is invaluable for numpties like me. I mainly use theme for tip rods some of which are rigged up with braid and shockleader and these more often than not may not be torn down at the end of the session. Same with mono rods that dont get used they go back in the bag. I've never been a fan of rod bands and I started using the same tip and butt protectors as @62tucker to see what they were like. I've used them for 4 years now and again would not go back. Theres no need for any reel pouches in the ready rod bags as most have partitioned flaps to separate reels. Once you get used to the routine of using the protectors and the ready rod bags it becomes second nature and a rod can be set up within a minute. And anyone who thinks they can set up a rod from scratch quicker probably has the worlds blackest dog sat next to them.
^^ Well said....;)(y)......You a 'numptie'? FFS:LOL:.....And I'm the archangel Gabriel!;):giggle:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use the same protectors as Tucker and Nicky. They hold your quiver tip against the handle and I’ve never had anything broken or scratched. My eyesight is not good enough to pass the line through all the rod rings, it’s a major operation for me. I’d never go back to rod tubes.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ Well said....;)(y)......You a 'numptie'? FFS:LOL:.....And I'm the archangel Gabriel!;):giggle:

Nicky has asked me to fish his team of 3 matches next year but, I’ve failed the somersault ( rolly polly ) auditions. Any advice Mark ? 🤣🤣

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
@62tucker I think we should start a thread hijack club .
There are a couple of prospective members on here.
271-2716814_pirate-skull-sabres-danger-flag-hd-png-download.jpg

trotter2

Those tip and butt protectors are virtually usless, you then need to purchase a reel protector and then a quiver or made up bag, meanwhile the rod blank either side of the tip and butt protectors is open to being scratched or damaged !
At the end of the day all these things are just gimmics to soak up your cash.
I've been had over by all the nonsense myself, had the tip a butt protectors, reel covers, made up rod bags of various types etc etc. In the end I have just got shut of them and keep my rods safe in their bags in solid placcy tubes.
By the time someone has got their made up rod out of its made up bag, removed the tip and butt protectors, reel pouch, pieced the rod together, added the weights, feeders or shot etc I could have my rod made up anyhow 🙂👍.
That is very true.👍