Holdall or hardcase?

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I was looking at the Preston supera holdall but then seen the 4 rod hardcase.

I like the idea of having the rods set up in the hardcase but I'm a bit dubious of damaging the rods as they are very thin and expensive. ( I'm used to carp and sea rods).

Would you go for the holdall with rod tubes and set the rods up each time or hardcase and have them set up ready?

Also.... if I go for the hardcase and have the rods set up how do I store the tip rod without snapping it?

Thanks.

Total

Site Supporter
If your dubious/heavy handed or otherwise then rod holdall every time.....If you match fish or enjoy short setup running line times then readymade hardcases are a time saver.....I've recently purchased the 4 rod Supera rod hardcase.....decent bit of kit....(y)

davej1981

I use. 12 tube holdall. I have my feeder rod ready setup. Its folded and banded together made up and i have cut a rod tube in 2. One piece covers the butt to the reel then i slide the other piece of tube to cover the remaining part of the rod. Only the reel is exposed and the rod stays protected during transport

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If your dubious/heavy handed or otherwise then rod holdall every time.....If you match fish or enjoy short setup running line times then readymade hardcases are a time saver.....I've recently purchased the 4 rod Supera rod hardcase.....decent bit of kit....(y)

I’d be interested in hearing how you get on with that Mark. Been looking at one of those myself. Can I ask where you bought it from please ? Struggling to find stock up here.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I'm used to having carp rods set up but haven't had a float or tip rod for around 15 years. They are even thinner and lighter than I remember.

I don't match fish it's just pleasure.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
If I have had rods made up (2 piece)
Break them down remove lead/feeder/ float,and put the tip to the butt with hook in the keeper ring ,trying to make sure there is no slack line, , and use protectors at both ends of the rod,
I have the PI monster 1+1 ready rod holdall.
But mostly i just keep the rods in a tube in a holdall and set up when I get there

TiggerXFM

I would keep them in their bags in solid tubes, takes a few minutes to make up a rod. Those rods you have are to valuable to risk damaging for the sake of a few minutes to tackle up…imo.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I think the coarse luggage and chair manufacturers could learn a thing or two from the carp guys.

The stuff I have bought so far has the same concept as the carp gear but they haven't pulled it off as well in my opinion.

Quality of fabric on luggage, zips, hand wheels on chairs...

Don't shoot me!

Total

Site Supporter
I’d be interested in hearing how you get on with that Mark. Been looking at one of those myself. Can I ask where you bought it from please ? Struggling to find stock up here.
AD have got the 4 rod holdall in 1.6m and 1.90m mate....(y)

bluemack

Site Supporter
Ive used a 5 rod Korum quiver for the past 5 years or so,you can make all your rods up with a bit of care
and a few velcro straps.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I've started using hardcases/holdalls for ready made set ups these days. This is because it now takes me too much time to tackle up when I get to the swim and I have a time limit imposed on my session by other medical problems. But I still have my old Shakespeare Agility rod and stink bag which I use occasionally

It doesn't take most people long to tackle up, and with feeders it's often the case that you don't really know precisely what sensitivity of tip you are going to need until you get there and assess the conditions.

I guess it depends on how many rods you want to take with you, as to the size of the holdall or hardcase (ready made or otherwise)

I like Preston's Competition rod holdall. True it is only for two rods (plus I get a landing net handle in there), but it allows me to stagger the rods' storage. I've have a number of different holdalls (ready made set ups) for 2 or 3 rods, and single ready made up rod sleeves (mix and match for venues).

In terms of avoiding damage to your tips, I keep mine in tubes or cases (you can buy these or make up your own). Most times I tackle up in a ready rod holdall, excluding the tip, leaving a shot or a bead on the loose end to stop the line retracting. The tips I store securely and separate. Then it's just a matter of threading line through a small number of eyes and adding your terminal tackle and feeder/bomb. I'm wary of tackling up a feeder rod with it's terminal tackle in a ready made holdall as the weight of the feeder may damage the tip section (exceptions are short feeders like Preston's Wandzee) where the tip is not connected to a rod section while in storage

I use 2 and 3 piece feeder rods some more robust than others

62tucker

Site Supporter
I have these for most rods. Got them for carp rods but bought some more for my feeder rods and waggler rods.
Then put them in my hard case. Or sometimes on a quick session I just carry them to car like that. Take them off and ready to fish in 2 minutes
Ps. Always take weight off as can damage rod or snap tip of rod if not careful
E5A5BDB7-6C7F-4173-A4DB-30AA8DF75D35.png

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have a 4 rod 160cm Supera for some time now Mark. Very good with 2 Velcro straps to hold each rod in place, as well as a fixed padded insert for your butt section to slot into.

I have three Daiwa Airity double rod holdalls. Im thinking … let a couple go and get one of these four jobbies. It’s rare for me not to have at least three feeder rods set up.

TiggerXFM

I have these for most rods. Got them for carp rods but bought some more for my feeder rods and waggler rods.
Then put them in my hard case. Or sometimes on a quick session I just carry them to car like that. Take them off and ready to fish in 2 minutes
Ps. Always take weight off as can damage rod or snap tip of rod if not careful
E5A5BDB7-6C7F-4173-A4DB-30AA8DF75D35.png

Those tip and butt protectors are virtually usless, you then need to purchase a reel protector and then a quiver or made up bag, meanwhile the rod blank either side of the tip and butt protectors is open to being scratched or damaged !
At the end of the day all these things are just gimmics to soak up your cash.
I've been had over by all the nonsense myself, had the tip a butt protectors, reel covers, made up rod bags of various types etc etc. In the end I have just got shut of them and keep my rods safe in their bags in solid placcy tubes.
By the time someone has got their made up rod out of its made up bag, removed the tip and butt protectors, reel pouch, pieced the rod together, added the weights, feeders or shot etc I could have my rod made up anyhow 🙂👍.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Each to their own I say.
But you must be quick setting a rod up if you can beat taking 2 protectors off. 10 seconds. Joining rod together. 10 seconds. Adding weight 10 seconds. Rod ready to go.
Ps I only pleasure fish with cheapish rods so anyone who match fishes with expensive rods might do different.
Back in the day when I was poor I used to used pipe lagging for tip protection.
Then upgraded to NGT 🤣.
Never owned a reel protector.

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
I have a 4 rod 160cm Supera for some time now Mark. Very good with 2 Velcro straps to hold each rod in place, as well as a fixed padded insert for your butt section to slot into.
^^ Ditto the same size here Mark....I've already practiced packed the different likely combination rod length sizes that I'd use....8, 9 10 12 and 13,15 foot rods and even managed a couple of 6 metre rods all without no bother....Decent bit of kit, the only thing left is the longevity of holdall and zips, but having had two Preston hard case jobbies before I can't see longevity being a problem...