HMRC phone scam

rudd

Site Supporter
0151 541 2878
If I do not pay fine for out standing tax by pressing 1, I will have a warrant put out against me and be arrested shortly.

Obviously have no clue who they have sent this to - details passed on to contacts. ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Text them back say you've changed phones and send them the phone no of the local plod house?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Fraudsters use a clever piece of kit that mimics real numbers. So although a Liverpool dialing code is displayed the call could have come from anywhere.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It is a call centre number in Liverpool so its possibly some enterprising chap doing "forigners" at lunchtime

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
they pay for redirect..... if they dial it shows from that number, if they recieve it redirects to their number, there's a company where i work who have a Norwich number but they are based in Stafford... they don't even have a telephone line in Norwich it's common practice now.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You can rent geographic and non-geographic numbers and set them up to dial to anywhere in the world, mobile or landline and to the end user the geographic numbers could start with your local town dialing code.
The clue is the first couple of numbers after the std code as resellers will have their own range of numbers.

There's nothing illegal about reselling geographic numbers, or even using them, a lot of businesses do so, however it doesn't stop the scammers from pretending to be something they're not.
If they were to be really clever they'd use Leeds, Cleveland, Rotherham, London or a withheld number to truly mimic the HMRC
The same for Swansea std codes to mimic the DVLA etc.