Hitting the clip and spodding help please

jpwone

Hi guys, first post please go gentle, I did search however apologies if I've missed this answered already elsewhere.

Spodding and hitting the clip. I've recently bought a spodding rod and sticks. New to wrapping and marking up line distances etc, I leaded about, found a nice spot, clipped the line and wrapped out on the sticks. Matched my rods to the same amount of wraps. On the spod rod, visually the Spomb is hitting approx the same place on the lake when hitting the clip, making sure I stand in the same place when I cast and follow same pattern of movements with the cast.

However when I cast my marked up rods, hit the clip, and again visually the cast hitting approx the same area, there is a large bow of slack line left. I experimented a few times and tied marker elastic after a sanity wrap on the line at the end of the rod once marked up, and by the time I have tightened the loose line up, I am approx a rod length closer, that line elastic is now down by my reel instead of at the end of the rod where it was when I marked up. This happened on both my rods.

So in my head I'm thinking, as the Spomb hits the water, bait should in theory drop straight down from the surface current depending etc. However do my actual rods hit the clip, and then come somewhat closer to the bank as the weight travels back towards me? Is this a result of elasticity in the line? Then I'm thinking I'm probably spombing bait a rod length out, so should I in fact reduce my Spomb line by a rod length to compensate?

Sorry if its a daft question however I haven't seen this addressed in any videos and more likely is down to poor casting technique or ignorance. Help appreciated. TIA.

rudd

Site Supporter
Depends on depth of water and how you feather line when hitting clip.
Your spod mix will be spread out by slight misscasts and undertow anyway?

squimp

Site Supporter
If you want the definitive answer then google rob Hughes on ‘carp feed’ -clipping up for spodding.

personally I don’t worry too much. Just learn to cast consistently so that you hit the clip Every cast. As ‘rudd’ points out the spod mix will spread out any way.

i usually fish 2 rods at slightly different distances anyway - so that helps too.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
This is an area in which I have zero experience. But reading the issue it seems to me that the spomb is probably heavier than the baited rigs. This will probably mean that the spomb will be straightening the line more as it hits the clip than the rigs do. Hence the baited rigs leave a bow in the line. I am assuming the spomb discharges its load on the surface.

The other explanation is that as the baited rig sinks it follows an arc that has a short radius. Leger rigs tend to leave line, particularly thicker line as may be used in carp fishing, on the surface. Thus as the rig sinks it will arc further towards the angler than if the line was sunk all the way and the arc radius dictated by the length of line to the rod not by the point at which the line dips under the surface.

The following (imperfect) diagram that I have used before shows what I mean. The light blue line represents the baited rig line. The green the theoretical line that is sunk all the way to the rig as it sinks. The spomb and rig will land at the same point (Feeder Landing Point), where the red circle cuts the surface. But the rig sinks following the red arc and as you can see leaving an angle and thus slack line that will need to be tightened and before that will show as a bow on the surface.

In shallow water the difference between landing point and the point the rig settles on the bottom will be small. The deeper the water the more distance between splashdown and settling.

Sinking Circle 2.JPG

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Is this carp fishing with single boilie baits, is the rod at the verticle when it hits the clip, are you taking the clip off after each cast? If you are, after hitting the clip point the rod out toward where the rig has just landed to give slack line. This will enable the rig to sink straight down(depth depending) Once it has settled on the lake bed you can adjust to the correct distance with your elastic markers at the rod tip.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
you use braid on your spod reel? No stretch so less bounce back, could be the culprit.

Only other thing is making sure not to hit the clip too hard with your proper rods.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Try a heavier lead on the fishing rod plus clip it a yard or two longer than the spod rod you can always reel in slightly but cant add length unless you unclip when the lead hits the water depending on the depth.