History Lost??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Hi All

This is one of the most important things i believe i will ever post.

Some of you may remember i mentioned this a while ago.

Stafford Borough Council have made a decision to close Izaak Walton's cottage at the end of this year if the visitor numbers don't increase.

In December there is to be a meeting to make the final decision on the cottage's future.

having spoken with a friend who works at the cottage & hearing how upset she was i am now making this posting as a "plea" for help.

Just about every angler i know has heard of Staffords most famous son Izaak Walton but very few know of his cottage at Shallowford near Stafford which has been turned into a museum.

Entry into the cottage is now FREE & i would emplore anyone who can get there to make the time & take a trip to the cottage.

If you can't make the trip then how about a donation to the running costs & upkeep of this important part of angling history?

For more infomation on the cottage please click on the link below.

http://www.aboutbritain.com/IzaakWaltonsCottage.htm

If you would like to make a donation then please make cheques payable to
Stafford Borough Council & send them to the cottage so the cottage keepers can ensure the council know where the moneys for.

Izaak Walton Cottage
Worston Lane
Shallowford
Nr Stafford
ST15 0PA

please help spread the word about the cottage & let other anglers know of its impending demise.

Thanks for taking the time to read this & i hope between us we'll keep this part of history with us & not let it fade into "history".

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Del-J

' Victor '
Well spoken Trogg. It's many moons since I paid a visit to Izaak's cottage but I still remember it well. I think it is time I tried to make another visit.

If I do get up there I expect I shall have to find a petrol station to fill up for the return trip. So I might be able to see if a certain well known "Barbel Fisherman" lives up to expectations. icon_smile_big.gif LOL

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Del

You'll be more than welcome at the station mate

As for the Barbel angler i think i should tell you Izaaks been dead a few years now mate icon_smile_wink.gif

(still trying to figure out why the link on my original post has gone all funny!! ooer missus)

Alan

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

Just incase anyones interested i have been told the person to write to about the closure of Izaaks cottage is

Judith Franklin

Stafford Borough Council
Civic Centre
Riverside
Stafford
ST16 3AQ

Alan

flick

Giday Mates, Okay i know i am from down under, New Zealand,but i was born in Norwich. Look i have fished from the Norfolk Broads to the Boca's of Argentina.I have had the honour to carp fish at Redmire with Dick Walker and i was taught how to cast my first fly on the Avon by Bernard Venables.Now Britain is crawling with thousands of dedicated anglers and hundreds of well supported ClubsAnd Isaak Walton's cottage is to close through lack of support? Listen here old Isaak is our matriarch, he is angler supreme. If every Anglers Club in the UK gave even a small annual donation it would no doubt be ample to keep this vital part of Britains heritage in a healthy and viable state for our childrens children.Isaak is in each and every one of us,he's part of us. Flick.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well said Flick.

It doesn't matter where you're from , an angler is an angler & Izaak is the greatest angler ever to have lived.

I have sent an e-mail to the Izaak Walton league of America to let them know whats happening, try to imagine the shock of Stafford council when they (hopefully) start to recieve letters from the States & other parts of the world about the closure of the cottage. icon_smile.gif

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.