His Dark Materials

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Out of curiosity I downloaded and watched episode one of series one yesterday. I then had to look up and read the plot of the book as I had no idea what was going on. I am still none the wiser. Both the episode and the book appear to have no actual story. By that I mean one that leads to a conclusion. It just seems to be a meandering tale with no reason to become attached to, and thus interested in, any of the characters.

I accept that it is a work of complete fiction, I am no stranger to science or fantasy fiction. For instance I love the Anne McCaffrey dragon books and other works of hers.

But His Dark Materials just seems to be a work of indulgence by an author letting his mind wander through an imaginary world with no purpose, conclusion or interesting characters.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
A lot of it was filmed around Oxford,
I saw the first series,but cant seem to be interested in series two.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was somewhat curious about it and was prepared to download and watch it... having read NotNs comments, I don't think I'll bother now

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
It is for everyone to make their own minds up. So I would suggest watching E1,S1 and see what you think. Its only an hour out of your life.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Kathy has read all of the books so we watched the 1st series and started the second series last night. I must say it took a bit of getting into but once you worked out that there are 3 parallel worlds and the connection between some of the characters it gets a lot better. I would suggest watching at least the 1st 2 or 3 episodes of series one as the 1st one was really nothing more than a scene setter for the rest of the series, it left me baffled but it all started to fall into place after a couple of episodes. The cinematography is also very good even though when they say they are in Oxford they are actually in Cardiff as it was made at the BBC studio's in Cardiff by the same crew that do Dr Who. If you know Cardiff you will see a lot of familiar streets and buildings

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Kathy has read all of the books so we watched the 1st series and started the second series last night. I must say it took a bit of getting into but once you worked out that there are 3 parallel worlds and the connection between some of the characters it gets a lot better. I would suggest watching at least the 1st 2 or 3 episodes of series one as the 1st one was really nothing more than a scene setter for the rest of the series, it left me baffled but it all started to fall into place after a couple of episodes. The cinematography is also very good even though when they say they are in Oxford they are actually in Cardiff as it was made at the BBC studio's in Cardiff by the same crew that do Dr Who. If you know Cardiff you will see a lot of familiar streets and buildings
Bang goes my theory on Oxford then.
At least some of the Harry Potter stuff was filmed around Oxford

PeteC

The first series (book), was actually previously made into a film, The Golden Compass, which I watched several years back so I really knew that part of the story anyway (even though the film wasn't that good ?) ..... I think his dark materials is actually a trilogy of books, but don't know how this second tv series goes as I've not read them.....There is however an underlying hatred of the magisterium throughout, which basically translates into a distrust and hatred of the church by the author and I think that was the reason the books/film were not more popular (like Harry Potter)......think basically it offended America...well, kinda guess that murdering god would somehow offend a fair few eh..!!

The tv series you either get or you don't, depending on what you like to view......Personally I really am liking the programme...perhaps I'm just a bit weird though .......???

alsur

Site Supporter
The first series (book), was actually previously made into a film, The Golden Compass, which I watched several years back so I really knew that part of the story anyway (even though the film wasn't that good ?) ..... I think his dark materials is actually a trilogy of books, but don't know how this second tv series goes as I've not read them.....There is however an underlying hatred of the magisterium throughout, which basically translates into a distrust and hatred of the church by the author and I think that was the reason the books/film were not more popular (like Harry Potter)......think basically it offended America...well, kinda guess that murdering god would somehow offend a fair few eh..!!

The tv series you either get or you don't, depending on what you like to view......Personally I really am liking the programme...perhaps I'm just a bit weird though .......???
If you are that makes two of us as I also really like it.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
How do the polar bears manage to put their armour on? , watched the first series expecting it get better, and develop into something, but it remained pure twaddle.

Chervil

Site Supporter
I'm reading the trilogy at the moment: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Enjoyed The Golden Compass and the first series. However, like most things the books are better, IMHO. Although, like Harry Potter, I think they are aimed more at young adults.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
My daughter worked on HDM series 1 in pre-production, on set in production and post production. Only in very Junior role(s) as it was one of her first jobs after leaving university. She was mid-way through working on a short film when Lockdown 1 started and filming had to be suspended. It's been difficult to break into the industry, as it's mostly based around short 6 - 9 month contracts. You have to get yourself known, before the job opportunities come in with anything approaching regularity and you can only get known, by starting in very junior jobs like runner, working incredibly long hours, often with additional long journeys to 'on-location' shoots,

Robwooly

I like it, anything that's different can't be bad given the standard of the current tv crop, I can imagine creative youngsters watching it and being inspired

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
How do the polar bears manage to put their armour on? , watched the first series expecting it get better, and develop into something, but it remained pure twaddle.

I had similar thoughts about the girl shut in a cupboard for hours without wetting herself.