Hip replacement

ginger

Site Supporter
Two weeks ago last Friday I had my left hip replaced after a long wait due to covid. Both knees were done 11-12 years ago and they were and still are working very well so I had no fears for the hip. However, I have had two weeks of agony up to now, the wound has healed perfectly and the dressing was changed twice before being removed altogether a week ago but the pain persists to the extent that I cannot bear any weight on my left leg and I can only 'walk' using a zimmer. Whilst sitting or lying with no load on the said leg/joint there is little or no pain but normal movement turns it on.

Being that there is a decent proportion of geriatrics on this forum of whom some/many will have been in the same boat as me any comforting comments as to length of suffering would be appreciated or, more to the point, how long before i can manage fishing again?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Thats down to how much pain you want to endure during physio and rehab... everyones different

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
My left hip is shafted to the extent that the NHS has decided that it’s inoperable, probably due to all the other stuff that’s going on, pacemaker, etc. I’m now waiting for a series of injections to permanently kill off the nerve endings in what’s left of the joint. My permanent level of pain is high enough to have oramorph on draught!

I’ve got no words of wisdom for you mate, but appreciate the pain you must be in!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My aunt has had two hip replacements I think and she is ok generally but did have a fall. It was outside a tackle shop ironically and caught on their CCTV. She badly smashed up her hand and broke a few fingers. Hope you get it sorted.

steak

Left hand drawer
Site Supporter
Two weeks ago last Friday I had my left hip replaced after a long wait due to covid. Both knees were done 11-12 years ago and they were and still are working very well so I had no fears for the hip. However, I have had two weeks of agony up to now, the wound has healed perfectly and the dressing was changed twice before being removed altogether a week ago but the pain persists to the extent that I cannot bear any weight on my left leg and I can only 'walk' using a zimmer. Whilst sitting or lying with no load on the said leg/joint there is little or no pain but normal movement turns it on.

Being that there is a decent proportion of geriatrics on this forum of whom some/many will have been in the same boat as me any comforting comments as to length of suffering would be appreciated or, more to the point, how long before i can manage fishing again?
Hi mate,

I had both my hips replaced 6 years ago, and recovery was very different for both.

My left hip was done first and went like a dream.

Slight wound pain for a few weeks then all good.

The right wound burst open in the recovery room after the op, and had to be restiched and I don’t know if this caused a problem as I had constant pain at night for several weeks.

Luckily the pain sorted out, and I have to say the operations were well worth it as it gave me a new lease of life.

One thing I would say is make sure you do your muscle strengthening excerises.

The pain will pass and life will be much improved after.

PM me your number if you want a chat 👍

Steak

Simon R

Site Supporter
Neighbour had his done about three weeks ago (only early 40s but very active lifestyle) - first couple of days the hospital physios (or the Gestapo as he called them) had him up on his feet prior to hospital discharge and were satisfied enough with his progress to send him home - albeit with industrial strength pain relief.

He still can't get about without his frame and is still in a lot of pain, however the physio visits once or twice a week and is, according to his wife, reasonably happy with his progress. Apparently part of the problem is that prior to the op he favoured his other leg to a huge amount and it takes time to rebuild the muscle mass around the replacement hip.

I hope he gets better soon - he's supposed to be helping me reprofile my garden pond later this summer :p

Simon

Tenacious Sloth

I had a hip replacement nearly 10 years ago now and found the secret to getting rid of the pain was to do as many of the joint exercises from the leaflets they gave me as often as I could stand it, often 2-3 times the number they suggested. This builds up the muscles around the joint which helps to support it.

After a few weeks I could walk reasonable distances with a stick and after 6 months would not be able to tell I had an artificial hip.

ginger

Site Supporter
Many thanks for the replies, I suspect I was a bit too optomistic and recovery will be in due course.

Pete

chappo

I had mine done 4 weeks tomorrow and as much as I'm doing OK (I think) I'm still reliant on 2 crutches - could sleep for England (although I wake regularly) and struggling with a couple of the exercises.
I'm working on the assumption that we're all different and its a marathon not a sprint
The improvement between week 2 and today has been amazing so stick with it mate - same again by week 6 according to the physio
Go steady

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
You should have contact details for the hospital. As others have mentioned, Weight bearing and exercise are crucial to rehabilitation. Sounds like you may have an issue and worth clarifying with the hospital.

Dogbert

Site Supporter
I had a hip replacement in December last year. I used crutches for 6 weeks and then one crutch for about a week until I was confident going up and down stairs. I did the exercises that the physios gave me and found them painful at first but I persevered and they became easier. I gradually increased the length of walks I could do and now can do 5 miles without any pain. I was able to go swimming after 8 weeks and dancing after 12 weeks. It has now been been 24 weeks and I have no pain and life is back to normal and has been since the end of March. I started fishing again in mid April, but could have gone earlier, I just wanted to wait until the weather warmed up. I believe that the key to recovery is the exercises provided by the physio, I still do them.