Higham farm fisheries,Derbyshire

martin22

Site Supporter
Anyone fished this place recently or have any info on the place,particularly the first pond on your left as you drive in I haven’t a clue what it’s called,
Any info at all appreciated I don’t even know how deep it is
Thanks

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Only 2 things I would say about Higham, unless it has changed:

a) Take a dump before you go - the toilet was/is atrocious. I just hope that Mr Varley Jnr. has upgraded it.
b) The pond on your left contains, or did, some largish Carp, some nice roach, and also tench. Depths are around 8 feet, the margins on the left bank as you look at it from the road down are best. they drop off pretty quickly. Baits held against the drop off have always done pretty well for me.

Better sized tench in the other roadside pond.

lp1886

Site Supporter
Only 2 things I would say about Higham, unless it has changed:

a) Take a dump before you go - the toilet was/is atrocious. I just hope that Mr Varley Jnr. has upgraded it.
b) The pond on your left contains, or did, some largish Carp, some nice roach, and also tench. Depths are around 8 feet, the margins on the left bank as you look at it from the road down are best. they drop off pretty quickly. Baits held against the drop off have always done pretty well for me.

Better sized tench in the other roadside pond.
That’s Higham Lane Hinckley.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I live in Derbyshire but I’ve not heard of it. Whereabouts is it please Martin?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
OK I found the facebook page. It’s the wrong side of Derbyshire for me. The facebook page has got pictures of really good sized (25-30lb) carp on it. Could be a good place if that’s your thing.

commieboy257

Account Locked
Things I've heard about it:
it stinks - literally
it's populated by energy drinking chavs
the deceased owners sons are as objectionable as he was
It could of course be hearsay but I'v seen such negativity on several places.

martin22

Site Supporter
Cheers fellas it used to be a good fishery but it’s got to be at least 20 year since I last fished it and only really fished the first one on the right but can’t remember a lot about it,I’ve also heard a few negative things about the fishery through the grapevine over the years ie gone downhill and arrogant owner etc,I have recently heard though that the fishery is doing well lately and it’s been taken over by new owners or sons or something?
I saw the Facebook page and yes the page seems to be carp oriented but there’s 4 ponds there,3 coarse and 1 specimen
Going to give it a try this week a couple of my mates are also wanting to give it a go

stikflote

Site Supporter
Know of a couple lads who got the car stuck in cos of rain, its a very steep hill.
i have fished it but i wont go again

Ruddles #

Used to be great in 90s then it went carp central last time i went about 10 years ago. It was a s**t hole rubbish all over etc so never went back pity really

martin22

Site Supporter
Well I called in here today as I was up that way,if I’m honest didn’t get much impression from it,there was only 2 cars in the car park and they were carpers on the speci lake,the first pond on the right is closed with a big sign up,the pond on the left there wasn’t a single angler on there (bearing in mind it’s a weekend) and there’s also a lot of weed in there,stood there long enough to smoke a fag and saw no activity at all can’t say I got a good feel from it so don’t think we’re bothering,fair enough I know you can’t judge until you’ve actually fished it but I’m sure you all know what I mean when your just not feeling a place

commieboy257

Account Locked
Get yourself to Hall Farm at Sutton middle pond. Few nice lumps, crucians and bream. Plus a toilet. Can't go wrong.

martin22

Site Supporter
Get yourself to Hall Farm at Sutton middle pond. Few nice lumps, crucians and bream. Plus a toilet. Can't go wrong.
Literally just come off the phone to my mate and I mentioned this place,fished it a few times when it had not long opened but you just couldn’t get through the little rudd in there literally one a chuck but it had only just been stocked,I have kept meaning to try it again as it’s been a few year now,is the first pond as you drive in still permit only as I allways liked the look of that,I only seem to remember 2 ponds is the 3rd a new one?

commieboy257

Account Locked
First one is syndicate as you drive in. Turn right and there's 3 ponds, top one not usually fished although you can if you want. The first of the two ponds has a good head of crucian and some big carp if that's your thing. if the old lad comes round in the afternoon he'll often only charge you half a day!