High tec low diameter feeder/float reel line.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I have 2 of those reels. The switch for the anti reverse is under the reel just here...

Thanks! I'll check it out

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I think if you carry on winding when fish is taking line it can cause problems.

Your probably right if someone does that, I play fish by having finger on the spool to stop the spool rotating, bring back the rod tip and wind down through the line letting the rod go forward , a method I'v always used in earlier days when fishing for big Bream, just transferred that to Carp, so can imagine if anglers just winding down on the handle with the rod in the same position the line would be under quite a lot of pressure and it being on a slipping clutch would knacker any line straight away.

richox12

I think if you carry on winding when fish is taking line it can cause problems.

Exactly. Sometimes it's unavoidable for the clutch to slip a bit when trying to wind. But this can cause horrendous twist. Friends who have Shimano reels (so a very good make) without an anti-reverse now have to play off the clutch when before they would always backwind. Now they suffer tremendous twist, tangles, broken Feeder tips etc. Some have stopped using the reels and others use a Spin Doctor regularly. Others I know have the Daiwa Ninja reels and suffer the same. I assume it can happen to any reel at some time.

However, line does not twist by itself - it has to be made to twist - so it is not the line as such. But could be the way the line has been processed.

Line has to be twisted by something else. How much twist depends on the reel, how the angler uses it, how fast the angler winds in & from how far, how much/little tension it is wound under, how the angler loads the reel (doesn't matter really if it's off the face of the spool - rotated correct way - or side/edge). Continually winding in very fast (so perhaps after missing a bite and simply wanting to get back out ASAP) will cause twist to build up in many reels. Winding in very slow takes it out. Check the roller to see if it is loose, make sure the spring shuts fully the bail arm and it doesn't lift back up slightly. There are many many causes.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I have 2 of those reels. The switch for the anti reverse is under the reel just here...

Nope, mine hasn't got one.

Mine's a different model I guess. I see yours has the hagane gear endorsement on the spool Not necessarily a problem, but I'll check back with the seller supplier

Cobweb

Site Supporter
anyone tried Browning's .20mm 8.5lb b/s braid substitute line?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Nope, mine hasn't got one.

Mine's a different model I guess. I see yours has the hagane gear endorsement on the spool Not necessarily a problem, but I'll check back with the seller supplier

The models I have are the 3000 SS DH HG R (double handle) and the 3000 S R (single handle). Both have anti reverse and fighting drag.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Nice. I bought this one with some spinning in mind, and as a possible double as a float reel. It's the C3000. At some point I intend to get the DH model which you have for distance feeder work (50m+). That will be a lot lighter than my Baitrunner DL 4000

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Cobweb

That's what I use the DH for mate, and it's a joy to use. :upthumb:
The DH one comes with 2 spools, 1 deep and a shallow one. The 3000 S R also 2 spools but both shallow. Brilliant on the waggler.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I think the Americans are mainly into lure fishing & use braid & flurocarbon lines, maybe these don't suffer twist like mono lines and as such, they use the clutch and don't backwind.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think the Americans are mainly into lure fishing & use braid & flurocarbon lines, maybe these don't suffer twist like mono lines and as such, they use the clutch and don't backwind.
That's my hope. Now is about the right time for some - certainly there ought to be some decent sized perch about but I'll need a rod with a fast tip.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
@Cobweb

That's what I use the DH for mate, and it's a joy to use. :upthumb:
The DH one comes with 2 spools, 1 deep and a shallow one. The 3000 S R also 2 spools but both shallow. Brilliant on the waggler.
Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know about the S R. I'll check that out

Rick123

I've something from Gardner I'd never be without. Its a bomb ( I have two) with twists in, cast it out and the line is straight in several casts, all the twists gone. I think it better to play fish how you want to, then sort out the twists after. JMO. Rich.

Minno

I’ve been using Preston Sinking Feeder Mono for all my feeder work. Durable, sinks well and good knot strength.

jasonb

Account Locked
Hyper sensor is a good alternative to standard sensor for standard feeder and waggler fishing.

DH pro float or match is nice for top and bottom float fishing.

DH also does feeder and pole lines as well

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Hyper sensor is a good alternative to standard sensor for standard feeder and waggler fishing.

DH pro float or match is nice for top and bottom float fishing.

DH also does feeder and pole lines as well
I've not tried Hyper Sensor line as I heard that It can get a bit "curly" if you try and slide shot (or olivettes) on the line to adjust for conditions. Someone else told me that it was better for choppy waters. Any advice?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Do you use these as a mainline or just for hooklenghs please?

I use them as both. I have those lines in 0.12, 0.14 and 0.16 2 of my reels have 0.14 and 0.16 as mainlines. I also use both as rig lines for the pole.. The 0.12 as waggler hook lengths, stepping up to 0.14 as need be.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I used Hyper Sensor for my match fishing with no issues for years... now I've packed in the match side I've carried on using it for general fishing... no complaints so far....