High tec low diameter feeder/float reel line.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
After years of using Sensor, I'm after a change as I'm fed up with it resembling a giant pube as it twists & curls so much, doesn't matter how I load it, it's the same. Thinking of going for some of this high tec stuff, trouble is, there are so many out there, especially on ebay (I know, I can't help it). Some of it is very low diameter for the b/s, some stating numbers such as 0.16mm for 3.7kg! After looking at several makes, one was describing how it quotes the maximum size of fish you should be capable of landing on the quoted diameter of line, so then the 3.7kg is NOT the b/s, it could be 1.5kg as far as anyone knows. I saw ukzero1 recommended some Konger line, any other suggestions for a thin, supple strong line with a bit of stretch, available in bulk (300m+) spools between 4 - 8lbs, TIA.

rufcuk

My new line of choice is colmic nxgen feeder pro - its 0.16 at 3.7kg - awsome line i have moved from pulse and chameleon

dave brittain 1

I use the original black Technium in 8lb for most of my commercial feeder work, it's a good line. Daiwa Tournament ST also gets some good reviews and is good value for money.

richox12

After years of using Sensor, I'm after a change as I'm fed up with it resembling a giant pube as it twists & curls so much, doesn't matter how I load it, it's the same.

It'll be your reel not the line. Make sure the bail arm closes FULLY as it it is even partially 'open' and at the wrong angle it'll make a right mess very quickly. Also check the screw which holds the roller is not loose allowing the roller to 'travel'.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I would agree that it is unlikely to be the line unless a load of people are suffering the same problem and not reporting it.

First question has to be, do you play fish using a clutch. If so try tightening up and using backwind instead. I will admit to getting a little bit of line twist using Maxima but then my reel only cost £10. But a little effort every few weeks sorts that out. Never bad enough though to cause a bird's nest.

As for seeking a "high tech" line for the reel I'm not sure that is a solution. To me such a line is only suited to hooklengths and pole rigs. It is not robust enough or have enough stretch to withstand the force of casting.

There are many "reel" lines that are more modern that Maxima. But it is still popular for a reason, it does the job.

BoldBear

I recently bought a couple of 300mtr spools of the ‘Dave Harrell Pro Float’ line to load onto my new reel spools; instead of my usual Drennan Floatfish (which unfortunately only comes in 100mtr spools).

Ive never used it before but if Sam and Mark Wintle use it and they think it’s a good line then it should be excellent and well worth a try.

It has all of the features of floatfish* plus it has a slightly smaller diameter and comes in 300mtr spools.
* Resistant to shot damage, Excellent Abrasion resistance, Excellent floating abilities etc. etc.

Keith

Last edited:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
It'll be your reel not the line. Make sure the bail arm closes FULLY as it it is even partially 'open' and at the wrong angle it'll make a right mess very quickly. Also check the screw which holds the roller is not loose allowing the roller to 'travel'.
Reels are Daiwa Legalis, never use the clutch and does it on other reels I've used, use 10lb prologic & that is fine, but need finer line.

Team KDB

Went from maxima to sensor over the years and all my feeder reels are loaded with Guru N Gauge 3lb to 8lb (150 mts) and hook lengths with Colmic x5000 (150 mts)

D

Deleted member 23692

Been very pleased with Guru Pulse that comes on 300m spools, with a marker at half distance, casts well and knots easily.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Goodness knows how anyone can quote that with so many variables
I once tapped into a whinge by a Drennan guy on facebook when dealing with a poster who said his Daiwa Sensor line was better than Drennan's pound for pound b/s because the Drennan line always broke first. The drennan guy accused Daiwa of cheating as their advertised 4lb line was thicker and really tested consistently at 5. something b/s. This Drennan guy went on to proudly announce that, though their line was more expensive, it was worth it because it actually broke at 4.2 something or the other and was in accordance with their advertised standards. Guess which one I have!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Been very pleased with Guru Pulse that comes on 300m spools, with a marker at half distance, casts well and knots easily.
Me too. The line is slightly thicker sometimes, but it is a good low stretch mono which I use for feeder work at medium and above distances where braid is not allowed

alsur

Site Supporter
I use Sensor have done after switching from maxima some time ago and have no problems I also use drag.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Same as me as I like Sensor and have always played fish off the clutch.
I find the comments about using the clutch causing lots of problems an interesting one as I would question if that is the case why put one on the reel in the first place.
Also have observed from watching Americans using fixed spool reels I notice they all use the clutch method.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Same as me as I like Sensor and have always played fish off the clutch.
I find the comments about using the clutch causing lots of problems an interesting one as I would question if that is the case why put one on the reel in the first place.
Also have observed from watching Americans using fixed spool reels I notice they all use the clutch method.

The Shimano Sahara 3000 (I have one) which receives good reviews from the US doesn't have an anti reverse so the front drag system (I'm not keen on rear drag systems, not precise enough) gets a load of use. I've not had any problems with mine

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The Shimano Sahara 3000 (I have one) which receives good reviews from the US doesn't have an anti reverse so the front drag system (I'm not keen on rear drag systems, not precise enough) gets a load of use. I've not had any problems with mine

I have 2 of those reels. The switch for the anti reverse is under the reel just here...