Hi newbie here

JayD

Hi everyone, I've just joined MD after being a long time lurker.
My name is John, I live in south Leeds, I've just passed 70 years of age, and have been surrounded by, and involved with, angling since before I could walk. My parents met at the Leeds & District ASA club, my mother worked there, and my dad, along with two uncles, were life members. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in the small lounge of the club, staring at the stuffed fish in glass cases, while my Dad attended meetings. I used to be mesmerised by those fish, especially a pair of massive roach caught by J Bazley. I used to sit there while being supplied with a succession of crisps, and bottles of pop by either my father, my uncles, or those that became my 'adoptive uncles', while the Trigg bothers who were the doormen, kept a watchful eye on me. It was inevitable that I would go into angling, it was in my blood, from 'helping' my father sort his tackle the night before a match, aged about 3, to the old git, writing this. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time actually fishing with my father, because of ill health, and him dying when I was 10, but he instilled in me many ideals, that are still with me, and still hold true, today.
As you will have gathered I do prattle on a bit, but I felt I had to, because through my lurking, I have got to 'know' some of you, or at least your forum persona, and I thought it only fair that I told you a bit about me, to sort of even things up a bit. I could go on, and often do, but I'll leave that for another time.

John.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome on board John, there's a few Leeds lads and lasses on here, feel free to prattle on as much as you like :)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Hi everyone, I've just joined MD after being a long time lurker.
My name is John, I live in south Leeds, I've just passed 70 years of age, and have been surrounded by, and involved with, angling since before I could walk. My parents met at the Leeds & District ASA club, my mother worked there, and my dad, along with two uncles, were life members. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in the small lounge of the club, staring at the stuffed fish in glass cases, while my Dad attended meetings. I used to be mesmerised by those fish, especially a pair of massive roach caught by J Bazley. I used to sit there while being supplied with a succession of crisps, and bottles of pop by either my father, my uncles, or those that became my 'adoptive uncles', while the Trigg bothers who were the doormen, kept a watchful eye on me. It was inevitable that I would go into angling, it was in my blood, from 'helping' my father sort his tackle the night before a match, aged about 3, to the old git, writing this. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time actually fishing with my father, because of ill health, and him dying when I was 10, but he instilled in me many ideals, that are still with me, and still hold true, today.
As you will have gathered I do prattle on a bit, but I felt I had to, because through my lurking, I have got to 'know' some of you, or at least your forum persona, and I thought it only fair that I told you a bit about me, to sort of even things up a bit. I could go on, and often do, but I'll leave that for another time.

John.
Welcome mate, it sounds like we have a similar pedigree (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Welcome mate, it sounds like we have a similar pedigree (y)

Pedigree's?? in Leeds??? Now there's a novelty. :ROFLMAO:

Hi mate and Welcome to the forum. You do know though that the last one in get's the beers don't you?. :D

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
jeez,not another one from leeds
other than that,hello and welcome to the site :upthumb: :upthumb:

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
Welcome to Maggotdrowning John....Enjoy your stay...(y)

Please note John, Mr Sly mentioned above is our Cornwall correspondent, sometimes originating from the Sheffield area! :oops:.....It's a long story......;)
and no doubt the usual suspects will enlighten you during your stay here :upthumb: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JayD

Thanks for the warm welcome gents. As I said, I have been looking in for quite a while, and have read some of the stuff, such as encounters with moles, relationships with satnavs, etc, and I've read the stories of the Maggotdrowners.:) As to having a wealth of knowledge Neil, I'm not too sure how much of my experience is relevant to the majority of members, I'm pretty set in my ways, and too old to change. I haven't match fished for some 30 years, owing to my dislike of the overstocked, predominately carp waters that had started to dominate the club scene at the time. I was in two minds as to whether I should apply to join, because I do have some strong opinions that don't always go down too well with certain factions within angling. In fact I nearly started my introduction with, 'I come in peace, I just hope I don't leave in pieces'! I'm pretty thick skinned, don't do 'offended', don't mind people taking the pee if they don't mind taking it themselves, I respect everyones right to an opinion (even when it's wrong;)), and would hope that they return the courtesy, I can get passionate about some subjects, but always try to debate them with a degree of civility, and respect.
I'm prattling on again, so I'll go back to attempting to learn how to navigate the site, I'm not that internet savvy and it can take a while to sink in.
Thanks again for the welcome
John.
PS, I don't know the general policy on opening old threads, I know it's frowned on by some. I've seen a couple where I might have something relevant to add.

Last edited: