Hermes

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do they actually get a delivery right or is it a lot of deliveries and an acceptable level of errors?

Yesterday I came home and a delivery note was through the letterbox of my porch - 'Left in Porch'

The porch was locked and the only thing in there that wasn't when I left for work was two letters and the delivery note.
A look around the house, in the bins, turned up nothing so we're still none the wiser.

Then today at the job I'm working on a delivery driver asked if we could take two large parcels for 'next door'
Yeap, no problem I said.
One large box and one large bag.

The neighbour came round and collected the bag, the large box however wasnt for him.
It was a tabletop fridge for a company in Leeds city centre, some eight miles away :eek:

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
This afternoon my doorbell rang (did I say I finish Thursday dinner every week for the last three week and next three:)) anyways back to it, it was Hermes and he fetched two parcels. Booth for our address, so that’s 100% bang on.
Yesterday DHL left an expensive item ,which needed signing for, in a safe place,,,,,,lending on the front door. Even posted a card tonsay item in safe place

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nah, left it with our client to sort out :)

jpwebster

Had a delivery of cat food yesterday that I'd missed by about an hour. Note said it was to the left of door, it was actually to the right and had been hacked into by some hungry animal, probably a fox or cat.

Once had a very expensive phone delivered through the door to the totally wrong street, Hermes again. The intended recipients were ever so thankful as they'd spent the day disputing with the phone company over their "delivered" phone that nowhere to be seen.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Had a delivery of cat food yesterday that I'd missed by about an hour. Note said it was to the left of door, it was actually to the right and had been hacked into by some hungry animal, probably a fox or cat.

Once had a very expensive phone delivered through the door to the totally wrong street, Hermes again. The intended recipients were ever so thankful as they'd spent the day disputing with the phone company over their "delivered" phone that nowhere to be seen.
Nice to see some honesty mate.(y):D(y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not Hermes, but another carrier, once delivered a full kitchen including worktops and appliances to a mate's house.
He tried to tell them it was not for him but they would not listen and had to deliver it no matter what. Most likely to ensure getting paid. He wasn't sure if his missus had ordered it without saying to him.
Anyway, it sat in his house for over a week whilst he chased up the large chain of DIY stores where it came from, and got nowhere, they couldn't trace it or the order details.

Eventually he gave up trying to send it back and fitted it - a lovely kitchen as well :D

62tucker

Site Supporter
Our Hermes driver is spot on. Brings a dog treat every time. She gave us her number if we going to be put and she nearby we meet her and collect it. Or she just leaves in in a storage box in back garden. Even takes stuff back.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Spot on here , but they all know I work from home so this time of year I end up with loads of parcels

foster82

The current Hermes driver we have is not bad, We have had bad ones in the past. Now the Amazon drivers we have in our area are shocking. Many times we have had parcels just thrown over the gate.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The current Hermes driver we have is not bad, We have had bad ones in the past. Now the Amazon drivers we have in our area are shocking. Many times we have had parcels just thrown over the gate.
I don't want to stir a hornets nest but, in our area, most of the delivery drivers have Eastern European accents.

rudd

Site Supporter
I have had we called but you were out cards posted at same time as they knocked on the door!

Lcn

Hermes round here are ok , yodel on the other hand are bandits . I’ve had multiple parcels go missing with them that had supposedly been delivered when they hadn’t . I had tripod for sea fishing saying it had been delivered when I checked the tracking when both me and the mrs were both in and nobody had been . I rang the company and they said I’d signed for it then claimed I wasn’t in and card had been posted when it hadn’t , eventually they asked me to try my neighbours which I did and they hadn’t got it . 2 weeks later someone from 2 blocks away brought it down and said the driver just left it with them because he was in a rush .

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Of late, the Hermes delivery person thats called is an older lady

asked her once what the hell she is doing the job for as shes getting on in years

pin money to add to her pension, apparently shes self employed and goes to a hub to pick up the local parcels from there, paid per delivery and all her work is within town

told me the website to look at the job, seemed reasonable money for relatively easy work,

shes only got an estate car, and iffin theres cause to leave a note, you can either ring and pick it up from her house or we have a mini market thats a hermes drop off collection point about 500 yards along the road and she will leave it there for you

Lcn

Of late, the Hermes delivery person thats called is an older lady

asked her once what the hell she is doing the job for as shes getting on in years

pin money to add to her pension, apparently shes self employed and goes to a hub to pick up the local parcels from there, paid per delivery and all her work is within town

told me the website to look at the job, seemed reasonable money for relatively easy work,

shes only got an estate car, and iffin theres cause to leave a note, you can either ring and pick it up from her house or we have a mini market thats a hermes drop off collection point about 500 yards along the road and she will leave it there for you
I did it for a short while for Hermes and the money depended on the size of the parcels , it may have changed now though . If you’d get loads of small ones and catalogues in particular it was rubbish money and if you were on a round you weren’t familiar with and following a sat nav you would be going round in circles wasting time and fuel . If you were in an area you knew well and got a reasonable size and amount of parcels it was a doddle though . Parcels for Next could be a pain , sometimes people paid for delivery before a certain time but we were never informed about that and if it was even a couple of minutes late or you couldn’t get anyone to sign for it you didn’t get paid for the delivery . I covered a round in mainly Asian audley and Whalley range area in Blackburn for 2 weeks once and had next ringing me nearly everyday asking why I’d not dropped certain parcels off and it was hard work trying to explain that most of the time you knew the women were in because you could see or hear them but they wouldn’t answer the door and they wouldn’t ring the number on the cards I’d put through so I could nip back round with it and for whatever reason not one neighbour would accept a parcel for another neighbour on the entire round . Don’t know if all Asian areas are like that but that round would drive you mental if you got stuck with it .

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I had a card in my postbox from Yodel to tell me they had left a parcel in my porch,it wasn't there,I contacted them and they sent a photo via e-mail of the parcel lying in full view but as we live in a cul-de-sac and the chances of anyone other than the postie,who is a personal friend seeing it was slim,I went back to Yodel to ask why it wasn't left next door and they said 'they would make enquiries'.lo and behold the following day the doorbell rang and there stood the Yodel driver with my parcel,shoved it in my hand and virtually ran down the drive.