Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just found this News? Report in the Worcester Evening News

Lead strikes down 100 swans

SWAN rescue centres in Worcestershire are being inundated with birds suffering from lead poisoning as a result of illegal fishing.

Wychbold Swan Rescue and the Bishops Wood Rescue Centre have treated more than 100 swans struck down by the poisoning.

Eight swans were taken to Bishops Wood Rescue Centre on Saturday.

"It's quite a concern to us that there are so many," said Edward Bird, who runs the centre, near Stourport-on-Severn.

"We have had 18 birds since the start of this month, all from the Worcester Bridge area.

"It's a no fishing zone there so we can't understand why so many are being poisoned.

"I work full-time but I manage to get a look on the way to work to see if there are any in trouble.

"We have to give them a course of injections to neutralise the effects of the lead but it can take quite a long time for them to recover."

The centre has collected three dead swans from the riverbanks, all believed to have suffered chronic lead poisoning.

"It just seems very odd that there are so many in such a short space being taken ill," said Mr Bird.

"You do the best you can for the birds but when you get large amounts like this it takes a lot of time and effort to get them treated.

"We started seeing birds with lead poisoning in September but this month has been particularly bad."

Jan Harrigan, who runs the Wychbold Swan Rescue centre, claims anglers illegally fishing along the banks are to blame for the rise in numbers.

"We've got 80 swans in at the minute all with lead poisoning," she said.

"It's from fishing tackle. I've seen people fishing there, although it's a no fishing zone - but people do cheat.

"I don't challenge them because how am I supposed to be down the river and looking after those at the centre?"

She said they had carried out post-mortem examinations on four birds that had died from lead poisoning over the weekend.

The link to the report is HERE

I would be very interested in seeing any lead shot that came from the swans in the postmortem and would lay money on it that it isn't split ie came from a gun cartridge.
In fact if there are that many swans suffering from Lead Poisoning, just a check on the water quality would throw up some suprising results I'd guess

Take me to the letters page [:(!]

Dave

Datafile2.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just sent the Editor the following letter for what it's worth:

Sirs,

With relation to your report on the dead and dying swans at the Wychbold Swan Rescue and the Bishops Wood Rescue Centre, you state that Anglers are to blame for the numbers of swans secumbing to lead poisoning.
Could you please let me know if the source of the lead has been traced, and further more if it is categorically fishing shot.
Lead was removed from the majority of fishing weights and replaced with other non toxic materials several years ago.
The postmortems: If lead shot is found as a result of the postmortems carried out, can you confirm if this shot is 'split' or not. The probabilty is that it will be the latter. This kind of shot is usually discharged froma gun cartridge and would not and could not be used for fishing.

I await your reply with interest.

Regards, Dave Webster
www.maggotdrowning.com

Let's see, Dave

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello

when will these idiots learn.

Why dont the NAA or SAA?? or whoever represent angling in Britain, take the author to court for slander, on behalf of the anglers they represent?

it seems that the allegations are both false and damaging to anglers given the current climate, ... this makes it slanderous does it not?

ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know the Severn fish in was last weekend but it would have had to involve nearly every angler in the country to damage that many swans with lead shot.

They had the same scare years ago on the Romney Marsh in Kent, they blamed the anglers for the shot harming ducks and swans, forgetting there was a duck shoot right in the middle of the marsh.

I think this is a case of somebody being asked for a quick answer and speaking without thinking.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

scoobs11

I think this is a case of somebody being asked for a quick answer and speaking without thinking.

sadly i think you'll find they know exactly what they are saying !!!

they will also know they are talking sh1te but they will still continue.

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

dave k

Our own stretch of water had a swan that suffered from lead poisoning last year.
it was taken to the RSPCA hospital at west winch for treatment.(and recovered)

we only have 2 pairs of swans on our water and look after them, many of our anglers hand feed them at the end of a session, so as you can imagine we were concerned to hear they had lead poisoning.

we asked whether the run off from the M11 motorway which runs across the river would have put lead into the water system, and were told no.

the only way swans can get lead poisoning is from lead shot.

just an idea, with all the flooding we have had in the last few years would it have moved the silt around enough to bring old lead to the surface that the swans can get into contact with?

this sounds like it needs a reply from Dr Bruno broughton

Dave Kennedy
http://usscangling.cjb.net

jonesr

Just to add to this.Do people realize the cost of the "shot".To collect this amount from anywhere it would seem worthwhile to get a mine-detector.
Bear in mind Swans do'nt DIVE!so all they can collect is what is in fairly shallow water ( to about 3 ft or so.)You would need to put it in in the groundbait!Also they feed a majority of the time on weed etc.
If my facts are wrong,please feel free to put me wise!I do'nt know this area,and the river may be that shallow.
I think you will be right as regards to shotguns.The pellets would fall like a handful of hemp sprayed and perhaps lodge in the weed ?
Ron J

Last edited:

scouse

'River Man'
I have been fishing
the river dane at middlewich
and had pellets rain down on me and into
the river from the farmer
useing a shotgun in the field opposite,
I wonder how much also falls in the trent and mersey
canal behind the dane with swans on it

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I remember a standard 12 bore cartridge holds an ounce of shot (ie no6 or 4), I would be very unlucky if I dropped/lost that amount in a season.
A shoot of say 10 guns could easily get through 300 cartridges in a five hour session - 6 cartridges per hour, per man. And often many more times that amount depending upon the skill levels of the guns - that would take a heck of a lot of careless anglers to loose that amount in one area alone.

Dave

Leon Roskilly

For a bit of history, visit this old thread on Anglersnet

http://anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001459#000031

Now try putting 'swans lead' into a search engine.

Seems that the problem of lead poisoning in swans is an international problem. From Canada to Japan.

Where angling pressure is low, then lead shot from wild-fowlers becomes the self-evident source.

In some cases, abandoned lead mines also come in for blame.

Quite a number of sources refer back to the UK, (where perhaps the problem first became apparent) and this seems to be the source from where lead shot (from angling or shooting) automatically becomes top of the blame list.

hmmmmm! I hear what David and Bruno say, yet looking at what is happening internationally, I'm not so sure.

Something is poisoning swans. And it's seemingly happening over the whole globe (the fact that it's mostly reported in the developed world, maybe because it's only developed countries where the issue is of concern, or finds itself on the internet).

But it seems to be happening far and wide, not just in places where hundreds of matchmen routinely dump lead-shot into the margins.

Even where wildfowlers are blamed, those waters are bloody big!!

Dogs and bad names come to mind for some reason.

I'm still not totally convinced.

Tight Lines - leon

MALC

quote:But it seems to be happening far and wide, not just in places where hundreds of matchmen routinely dump lead-shot into the margins.

Leon i know in your own circles your a respected angler and do what you can for angling and anglers but get real with the above quote!!!!

It reads to me as though you are saying that it is match anglers that are poisoning Swans by feeding them with shot [?][?]..!!

Personaly i don't think i have ever even BOUGHT enough shot to freely feed Swans with let alone
(in your words) routinely dump lead-shot into the margins....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MALC
IT'S CATCHING

Leon Roskilly

quote:Originally posted by MALC

But it seems to be happening far and wide, not just in places where hundreds of matchmen routinely dump lead-shot into the margins.

Leon i know in your own circles your a respected angler and do what you can for angling and anglers but get real with the above quote!!!!

It reads to me as though you are saying that it is match anglers that are poisoning Swans by feeding them with shot [?][?]..!!

Sorry, I was speaking internationally (I hope that you did the search suggested).

For the UK, that should read 'used to......' (see Bruno's comments on the Anglersnet thread)

Tight Lines - leon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.