Here We Go Again

Simon R

Site Supporter
Last season came to an abrupt end due to the various lockdown measures and from early November until the back end of March we got just one of the scheduled six matches fished – our Christmas match at Dromonby Farm.

I booked this year’s venues based on last year’s attendance figures (12-15max), so the twenty –odd pegs I had booked on Ghost Lake at Brafferton Fishery should have been ample – however it appeared that just about our entire membership were intent on fishing the first match of the year. After a bit of tooing and froing I got a slightly reduced number on Ghost Lake and a full bank (18 pegs) on the adjacent F1 Lake.

It was a beautiful sunny, albeit chilly, morning when I arrived – 3C and a ‘risk of ice’ according to the car thermometer. I trotted around the lakes positioning pegs for the anticipated 18 anglers – 10 on Ghost Lake and 8 on F1. It was noticeable that many of the pegs have been renewed / repaired and the vegetation on the islands cut back – it’s now possible to actually cast tight to them and not ten feet away due to the overhanging trees and bushes.

I pulled permanent peg 30 on Ghost Lake out of the hat which put me bang in front of one of the islands. I set up a pellet waggler and a feeder rod for casting across and then pole rigs for the margin, at 10m out into open water and at 5m which was about 6” shallower than further out. I also rigged up a top kit with a mugging rig – 2-3’ of line above the float which is a stubby half gramme number with a bulk of shot directly beneath it, to a size 14 hook set about a foot deep The heavier float and long line means the float can be swung out in front of cruising fish without wafting the pole directly overhead and risk spooking them.

Image00028.jpg
After dumping a bit of bait in the margins I lobbed a feeder across to the island, really just looking for indications that there were fish in the vicinity – liners or even the odd bite perhaps but there was no sign of life and after half-a-dozen recasts and twenty minutes wasted – by which time Rob, six pegs to my left already had three pellet waggler caught fish in the net – I gave it up as a bad job.

Image00029.jpg
Initially it was a very pleasant day, no wind and plenty of sunshine which, despite the water being icy cold, did encourage a few carp to cruise about on the surface. They were easily spooked though and once the sun disappeared they vanished from view. All I could catch were small roach on maggot and they weren’t going to win me any prizes.

I had a wander around to retrieve my peg markers and see what was happening on the other lake – it appeared to be fishing fairly hard here too – nobody with more than three or four fish other then Andy who was claiming a dozen or so little F1s – both Paul and Acko had lost lumps though.

Image00002.jpg Image00003.jpg

Back on Ghost Jim was getting a couple down in the corner – mainly from the margins and after getting nine in the first hour Rob was now struggling for bites a little. Tink only had a couple of baby carp, and other than George on the end peg nobody else had anything other than roach.

Image00009.jpg

It had got considerably colder once the sun vanished and the black clouds in the distance promised (and later delivered) rain – fortunately only relatively short showers.

Image00030.jpg
Image00027.jpg

I had an hour just fishing a top kit – in the past this has resulted in decent mixed bags of roach, skimmers and carp but on this occasion it was just small roach and after amassing a couple of pounds of them I gave it up as a bad job. I had a look across to the island with the pellet waggler and although nothing appeared to be interested in the pellets I was flicking across one cast did see me spook a fish, so with renewed optimism that there was something in my peg I persevered.

Elsewhere I’d seen Jim get a couple more on the pole and Rob had added some pole caught fish to his earlier waggler caught ones. Tink had a couple from his margin too but along to my right it was still a struggle – Ian admitting to a single roach, Frankie likewise and Darren had one carp and precious little else.

Image00010.jpg jimfish3.jpg

Image00016.jpg Image00017.jpg

I’d been altering the depth on the waggler and trying various hookbaits before I decided to try a wafter – sinking more slowly than a pellet it might just stay in the right place for a fish to spot it for a little longer. Sure enough I got a bite – which I missed. :mad:A few minutes later I got another and this stayed on – a nice mirror about 3-4lb.😁

Nothing else was forthcoming so with an hour to go I walked along to where I’d been fishing in the margin and hurled a load of bait in forcefully – mimicking the actions of an angler packing up. With a big bunch of maggots on the hook (an attempt to dissuade smaller fish from attacking the bait) I only had to wait five minutes before the float buried and I had another decent carp in the net. I got another indication shortly afterwards and connected with something briefly – presumably foul-hooked.

With ten minutes left I noticed Tink doing battle with a decent sized fish on the pole – he was bemoaning the fact that he’d only brought his small pan net with him as it was gonna be a struggle to get the fish in it. So I trotted along and passed him my net which was considerably larger – it proved to be large enough as you can see. I returned to my peg and shouted time.

Image00022.jpg Image00023.jpg

Image00024.jpg

These are the full results and weights with photos below

EMC2021.JPG

Rob 48-07

Image00018.jpg + Image00019.jpg

Andy 33-14

Image00001.jpg

Jim 30-07
Image00008.jpg

Paul 23-04
Image00015.jpg

Tony 21-11

Image00026.jpg

Mattie 21-07
Image00014.jpg

Acko 15-03
Image00006.jpg

Tink Two-Nets 12-09

Image00025.jpg

George 11-04

Image00007.jpg

Simon 9-13

Image00020.jpg

Barry 9-09

Image00004.jpg

Steve W 6-04

Image00021.jpg

Darren 3-01

Image00005.jpg

Kev 2-07

Image00013.jpg

Ian, Frankie and Steve R all tipped back

Great attendance but very patchy fishing

Next match is May 16th on Grange Farm Pond near Thirsk - caravan site doesn't reopen until the 17th so there shouldn't be any traffic along the access road

Simon

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Last season came to an abrupt end due to the various lockdown measures and from early November until the back end of March we got just one of the scheduled six matches fished – our Christmas match at Dromonby Farm.

I booked this year’s venues based on last year’s attendance figures (12-15max), so the twenty –odd pegs I had booked on Ghost Lake at Brafferton Fishery should have been ample – however it appeared that just about our entire membership were intent on fishing the first match of the year. After a bit of tooing and froing I got a slightly reduced number on Ghost Lake and a full bank (18 pegs) on the adjacent F1 Lake.

It was a beautiful sunny, albeit chilly, morning when I arrived – 3C and a ‘risk of ice’ according to the car thermometer. I trotted around the lakes positioning pegs for the anticipated 18 anglers – 10 on Ghost Lake and 8 on F1. It was noticeable that many of the pegs have been renewed / repaired and the vegetation on the islands cut back – it’s now possible to actually cast tight to them and not ten feet away due to the overhanging trees and bushes.

I pulled permanent peg 30 on Ghost Lake out of the hat which put me bang in front of one of the islands. I set up a pellet waggler and a feeder rod for casting across and then pole rigs for the margin, at 10m out into open water and at 5m which was about 6” shallower than further out. I also rigged up a top kit with a mugging rig – 2-3’ of line above the float which is a stubby half gramme number with a bulk of shot directly beneath it, to a size 14 hook set about a foot deep The heavier float and long line means the float can be swung out in front of cruising fish without wafting the pole directly overhead and risk spooking them.

Image00028.jpg
After dumping a bit of bait in the margins I lobbed a feeder across to the island, really just looking for indications that there were fish in the vicinity – liners or even the odd bite perhaps but there was no sign of life and after half-a-dozen recasts and twenty minutes wasted – by which time Rob, six pegs to my left already had three pellet waggler caught fish in the net – I gave it up as a bad job.

Image00029.jpg
Initially it was a very pleasant day, no wind and plenty of sunshine which, despite the water being icy cold, did encourage a few carp to cruise about on the surface. They were easily spooked though and once the sun disappeared they vanished from view. All I could catch were small roach on maggot and they weren’t going to win me any prizes.

I had a wander around to retrieve my peg markers and see what was happening on the other lake – it appeared to be fishing fairly hard here too – nobody with more than three or four fish other then Andy who was claiming a dozen or so little F1s – both Paul and Acko had lost lumps though.

Image00002.jpg Image00003.jpg

Back on Ghost Jim was getting a couple down in the corner – mainly from the margins and after getting nine in the first hour Rob was now struggling for bites a little. Tink only had a couple of baby carp, and other than George on the end peg nobody else had anything other than roach.

Image00009.jpg

It had got considerably colder once the sun vanished and the black clouds in the distance promised (and later delivered) rain – fortunately only relatively short showers.

Image00030.jpg
Image00027.jpg

I had an hour just fishing a top kit – in the past this has resulted in decent mixed bags of roach, skimmers and carp but on this occasion it was just small roach and after amassing a couple of pounds of them I gave it up as a bad job. I had a look across to the island with the pellet waggler and although nothing appeared to be interested in the pellets I was flicking across one cast did see me spook a fish, so with renewed optimism that there was something in my peg I persevered.

Elsewhere I’d seen Jim get a couple more on the pole and Rob had added some pole caught fish to his earlier waggler caught ones. Tink had a couple from his margin too but along to my right it was still a struggle – Ian admitting to a single roach, Frankie likewise and Darren had one carp and precious little else.

Image00010.jpg jimfish3.jpg

Image00016.jpg Image00017.jpg

I’d been altering the depth on the waggler and trying various hookbaits before I decided to try a wafter – sinking more slowly than a pellet it might just stay in the right place for a fish to spot it for a little longer. Sure enough I got a bite – which I missed. :mad:A few minutes later I got another and this stayed on – a nice mirror about 3-4lb.😁

Nothing else was forthcoming so with an hour to go I walked along to where I’d been fishing in the margin and hurled a load of bait in forcefully – mimicking the actions of an angler packing up. With a big bunch of maggots on the hook (an attempt to dissuade smaller fish from attacking the bait) I only had to wait five minutes before the float buried and I had another decent carp in the net. I got another indication shortly afterwards and connected with something briefly – presumably foul-hooked.

With ten minutes left I noticed Tink doing battle with a decent sized fish on the pole – he was bemoaning the fact that he’d only brought his small pan net with him as it was gonna be a struggle to get the fish in it. So I trotted along and passed him my net which was considerably larger – it proved to be large enough as you can see. I returned to my peg and shouted time.

Image00022.jpg Image00023.jpg

Image00024.jpg

These are the full results and weights with photos below

EMC2021.JPG

Rob 48-07

Image00018.jpg + Image00019.jpg

Andy 33-14

Image00001.jpg

Jim 30-07
Image00008.jpg

Paul 23-04
Image00015.jpg

Tony 21-11

Image00026.jpg

Mattie 21-07
Image00014.jpg

Acko 15-03
Image00006.jpg

Tink Two-Nets 12-09

Image00025.jpg

George 11-04

Image00007.jpg

Simon 9-13

Image00020.jpg

Barry 9-09

Image00004.jpg

Steve W 6-04

Image00021.jpg

Darren 3-01

Image00005.jpg

Kev 2-07

Image00013.jpg

Ian, Frankie and Steve R all tipped back

Great attendance but very patchy fishing

Next match is May 16th on Grange Farm Pond near Thirsk - caravan site doesn't reopen until the 17th so there shouldn't be any traffic along the access road

Simon
Lovely write up, enjoyable read , great pics. Thank you, hard fishing day .👍

pal.64

Let’s hope it fishes better on the Fish North Match scheduled for Saturday 8th May.
A little too early in the year and the constant cold nights over the past month haven’t got the fish moving properly yet and they’re not in the numbers they used to be.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Let’s hope it fishes better on the Fish North Match scheduled for Saturday 8th May.
Very similar - on Ghost Lake anyway

1620647974161.png

F1 was better but no idea which pegs the winning weights came from

Simon