Here is a question for all Anglers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlw

Hi everyone,

I have a question that has been spinning around in my head for sometime.

I Know not many woman participate in the sport of angling.

But why is it when I walk into an Angling shop or even a stall on a car boot sale, the first words that come out of the shopkeepers mouth is, either,

What does HE want then?

or

Has he sent you for his bait can you remember what it was he wanted?

icon_smile_angry.gif

Its so irritating to think that a woman couldnt possibly be into angling the same as a man.

I love fishing I have been fishing since I was about 8 years old I won my first match at the age of nine and I was fishing against kids older than myself. Im now 32 and still love a days fishing I might not be as good as others but i enjoy the peacefull tranquitlity and obviously the thrill of catching a fish.

WHY DOES IT SEEM TO BE SO OUT OF CHARACTER FOR A WOMAN TO LIKE FISHING ?

icon_smile_sad.gif JLW

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dunno i'll ask my wife icon_smile_big.gif
She loves fishing as much as i do (cept she keeps out fishing me icon_smile_sad.gif

Alan
You've just been moderated

martin.

Account Locked
hi jlw.
there are quite a few female anglers on the banks nowadays of all ages some are very good.at one junior match i took my daughter to at cambridge there were at least 18 girls in the different age groups
which worked out to be over 10 percentof the entrants.
i run the tydd gote a.c. junior matches &assist in the march angling centre junior matches & have found an increasing number of girls taking part some show a lot of promise .
my daughter is a good example at 15yrs she has 56 trophys to her credit and is respected as a fisherperson in most of the places she fishes .
if you ignore the sarcastic coments and take notice of the advice
they can give you wont go far wrong

tight lines.
martin.

G

Well jlw i help my mate out in his tackle shop and i can tell you i have been put in my place a few times by lady anglersicon_smile_sad.gif
I put my hands up and admit i was to fault,but now if i see a woman{no disrespect} come into the shop i let her do the talking,eg what she wants,bait,tackle or whatever,if she is a non angler i will do my utmost to help, but on the otherhand if she is an angler i let her tell me what she wants,we have regular lady anglers, and non anglers coming into the shop,why because i like to think lady anglers and non anglers are given the respect due to them.
Did you go out pole fishing?
May i just add that one of the best lady anglers i have known has just passed away. she fished with some of the big names in our sport,and guess what she beat them,a few times
Best of luck jlw and tight lines
Andy

jlw

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply, it must be in the area where i live that there arnt many lady anglers or like you say its just sarcasum.

Once I tell them that its me who is the angler in the house hold I get a shocked look and they couldnt be more helpfull its just the initial speech and looks i get.

I sometimes even feel uncomfortable walking into a tackle shop unless my husband is with me.

As soon as I walk in, if there are a few men in there they seem to look at me as if to say what does she want,.

I even had one today, He turned round and said this is a fishing tackle stall Darlin-you sure your at the right stall.

I was going to buy some pole equipment but I decided to take my money else where.

JLW

jlw

Hi Toma,

Havent been out yet waiting for Nige,(my boss) to arrange, he is a very busy man, it might be a while before I go but i am sure I will enjoy it.

Regards JLWicon_smile.gif

G

Well done jlw if you get a negative response,do take your custom elseware.
Good uck and tight lines to all
beer-toast1.gif
Toma

Larry

Lazarus
well from what ive on the grapevine trogg your not hard to out fish has you never catch anything lol

Cheer's Larry

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
jlw - maybe you need to advertise a little.

My wife had the same sort of problems. Then we found some decorative fish hooks made by eagle claw. They have a gold hook - around a 2/0 or 3/0 I think - with a spring clip so it can be attached to clothing.

She now has one on the front of the baseball cap she usually wears fishing. It has served nicely to announce her. When she goes in a shop wearing it, folks pretty much assume she fishes.

Newt Vail

MALC

Hi Jlw,
My wife does not fish but my eldest daughter does, but they have both come across the same reacation as you.
On one occasion my wife went with my daughter and picked up our bait from what used to be my regular shop for a match the following day.
I could not get there myself due to work.
All the staff in the shop knew my daughter and a few of them knew my wife as well.

When i got home that night around 10pm i checked the bait (maggot/pinkie/squatt & caster) and found that it was all rubbish that i would not even throw to the birds.
So i jumped in the car and went to the shop owners house and went potty as to why he had sold this rubbish to the wife and to get some proper usable bait.

I was amazed at his reply as to why they had been given the rubbish bait in his words he said,

" well i thought they were for the girl and it would not matter what bait she got" needless to say i was not happy with his reply.

Although he took me back to the shop and replaced all the bait, from that day i stopped using his shop and made sure that everyone i knew found out about his attitude.
That shop is no longer around it shut down about 2 years ago.

Malc ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

danzante

Hiya jldubblyer,

i used to take my wife along with me but being a big woman had it's drawbacks, i always wondered why nobody else fished by us until one day in the pub i overheard someone say..."i could'nt get near the wall cos there was a forty peg match on!".....

she stays at home nowadays, spends all her time in the garden stopping the birds from landing.

Danny

G

With an attitude like that from the owner no wonder it closed down.
Tight lines
Toma beer-toast1.gif

jlw

Hi Malc,

Yes thats exactly what I was getting at.

Its like the guy on the stall the other day with me asking if I was at the right stall - I was intending to buy quite alot of tackle from him, but after his comments.
I would rather take my business elsewhere to someone who treats people male or female with the respect they require.

Well it was his loss because he lost a good sale icon_smile_tongue.gif

JLW

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am all in favour of getting women on the bank, fishing. My wife can always come as long as the housework is done. icon_smile_big.gif

JLW I gather you are from the South. I am originally from Hastings and there used to be a couple of cracking lady anglers there. I used to fish a long way from them cos they would show me up. I just hope Malc doesn't let his daughter show me up at Whiteacres this May.

Don't let the ignoramuses get you down, and enjoy.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I'd been looking for a picture of the fish hook pin. Found one.

Newt Vail

Nige

and b4 she starts, Yes Jane, I will take you out pole fishing after I've finished the wifes d******ing list next week. (sorry to mention that 'D' word again Trogg

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

jlw

Hey Nige,

Why would I start anything, Im not like that. I appreciate you offering to take me and no matter how long it takes I am prepared to wait! icon_smile_blush.gif

Whats that old saying patients is a virtue and every angler knows that.lol

JLW

MALC

rollwink.gif
Geoff

Don't think you got anything to worry about regards Gemma showing us up at WhiteAcres in May as it'll be the first time she's been fishing since November and she'll be a bit rusty (hopefully).

Plus i've told here she'll have to buy dinner if she does batter us, and she hate's spending her money.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Malc,

you could always up here pocket money

MALC

DAVE or TROGG PLEASE DELETE KEITH'S POST
Before Gemma come's home from school and reads it.

She gets more than me now.
Cheers Keith icon_smile_shock.gificon_smile_shock.gif

Edited by - MALC on 07 March 2002 07:20:24 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.