Hemp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Time for more of my daft questions:

I'm going to be preparing some hemp for the Trent Fish-In. I've read somewhere some recommendations on the best/quickest ways of doing this but can't find it again, can anybody please point me to the right thread or give me some advice.

I know you need to heat it until the seed splits open and I've prepared some small quantities just for a few hour sessions but I'm looking to do more, in bulk for the weekend.

Also, the water that is leftover - Is it a good idea to use this for mixing groundbait; as presumably there is lots of "hemp" flavour in it; or, does it contain other, unwanted residues that are not good to have?

AlanP

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Alan, check this thread:

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/1518

Regards, Dave

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Dave

Thanks - That's what you call prompt service, I knew I'd read it before somewhere.

I'll be cooking this weekend then icon_smile_big.gif

AlanP

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You're welcome Alan,

Don't forget to leave the windows open though icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
You can also put the soaked hemp (min of 24 hrs) in the oven and cook till split keep an eye on the water level.
Hemp takes a flavour very well add a powdered flavour at the soaking stage.
Hemp also freezes well so you can do a big batch baggit then freeze.
Hemp can also be very good if slightly high so any hemp left over from a days fishing can be taken home and refrozen. And yes I will be taking hemp to the Trent to. John

chill out go fishing

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Well a nice, large batch of hemp is done and in the freezer. As we have two new kittens I managed to place most of the blame for the strange smell on them and their litter tray. That only lasted until my wife lifted the lid on the pan though icon_smile_blackeye.gif.

Thanks for all the help - John, what sort of flavourings have you tried successfuly?

AlanP

Edited by - AlanP on 15 September 2002 9:02:58 PM

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I'm a fan of the Archie Braddock range. I use Mega Spicy for adding to my hemp. As to flavouring meat corn etc I like Tench, Barbel and spice suprise. I have taken chub barbel tench carp and crucian carp on these. Oh and a couple of bream to, these were suprise captures whilst fishing for barbel on the Severn.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.