Hemp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Help Lads,
Where am I going wrong?

Bought some of Haiths Supahemp recently.
Very pleased with size, Quality to look at and delivery etc. BUT

I've soaked 4 pints for 39 hours (over the stated time) Brought to the boil and simmered for 3 hours now, topping up and checking regularly.
There is still only about a quarter actually split!

How do I get it all to split?(or most of it)

Boil longer? Pressure cooker?

Any experience like this and how did you solve?

Thanks in advance

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

MALC

Hi Trev,

Must admitt that for about 10 years now i've cooked my Hemp in the Microwave.

All i do is put a couple of pints in water and shove it in normaly it's perfect in under an hour (but watch the water).

Also you don't get any smell.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

danzante

Trev,
when i've done my own, i have left the hemp in a container overnight then cooked it for about twenty minutes, you've got to let it simmer and make sure the water is always covering the hemp.

I'm nearly a millionaire now so i buy a tin off the shelf
these days.icon_smile.gif

Danny

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks Malc, I'll try the microwave and as you say! The lack of smell will be a bonus, even if the hemp dont split!

Dan, Honestly mate, I soaked it for over 2 nights! (39 hours to be exact) and then brought to the boil and had simmering for 3 flaming hours, topping up the water left it at 3 am, checked just now and its still only a third split!!!

Glad you are coming good, always like to see a scouse succeed, but I'm going the other way lol, bankruptcy threatens!!

Seriously, I was trying to prepare it with a flavour additive and as I say, I like the size of the seed, but will have to work out if the unsplit stuff is acceptable!

Try it next week,

Thanks for your help

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,

Try adding a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda to the water when you soak it, then bring to the boil for an hour in the same water.

The hemp is just about right when it is starting to split and the white starts to show. Don't let it split too far though as you'll end up with a load of bits.

Whilst on the subject, has anyone bought old hemp?
If you do you'll find that the kernel has dried out and the hemp will never open as it is just a shell - I once boiled load of shells for hours before I realised icon_smile_big.gif

How long in a micro Malc, sounds interesting and might stop 'er in doors grumbling?

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev
the way i prepare my hemp i have 2 ways 1 for hookers 2 for feed
both ways i soak for 2 to 3 hrs first

1- take a couple of handfulls of soaked hemp put in an old small flask put in 1 tablespoon of sugar top up with bioling water from kettle put lid on tight & leave overnight this way there shouild be a small split just enough to give a good hook hold.

2- take 1 to 2 pints of soaked hemp in a saucepan 3 tablespoons of sugar cover with water bring to biol simmer for 2 hrs+ till all hemp is well split tip into contianer complete with liquid.
liquid can be drained & used for mixing g/bait as & when

But dave is right old hemp wont split however long you cook it so if you get an old pack & it doesnt split just throw it dont try anymore get some fresh.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi Trev,

I Do the same as Martin, I measure out about a pint put it in a flask cover with hot water add a bit of sugar and some bicarb leave over night and in the morning u should have some split hemp. I never use it on the hook i only loose feed it so i dont know if it is any good for hook bait

Have fun

tight lines

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks again,
Dave, is the bicarbonatean aid to splitting, or just for better finish?
Hadnt thought of hookbait Martin as I was trying to flavour for Barbel feed, but will try later now I have found some roach in the Trent.
Thanks Ray and is the sugar you and Martin mention again to help split, or just shine up?
BTW,I had much better success with American Buckwheat, split lovely!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I normally freeze mine for a day or two, then drop it in boiling water & add strawberry jam to give it that extra little flavour & sweetening.

Alan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Trev,

The Bicarbonate of soda speeds up the cooking process and helps the hemp split, its the same with 'tares' adding the spoonfull just softens them in a lot less time.
Now who's used tares recently icon_smile_question.gif

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev
ive allways put sugar in with mine to sweeten it a bit i was told this years ago & have allways done it
dave
i normally start using tares mid late july every year i tend to use a mix of hemp, tares & elderberry so theresanother one to the list anybody else tried it
it can be a deadly bait moreso if there are over hanging elder bushes on the water and you can use them straight off the bush

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've used a hemp/tares mix but not elderberry, so thats another potion to mix up icon_smile.gif

Has anybody used curried hemp/tare/chopped meatballs mix?? great for getting barbus barbus onto a hook.

Alan

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Martin yes the elderberry on its day bagging bait for roach & chub,
Iv'e also had some good catches on it in the carp puddles (and its cheep)

teepee.

Status
Not open for further replies.