Hemp sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

I live in the Sheffield area and find that I am unable to buy what I call 'normal' sized hemp. No matter where I try all the tackle shops have the giant stuff which is pretty useless for most hemp fishing scenarios. I have managed to riddle some smaller sized seeds from the bags on sale but I'm just a bit perplexed as to why for most of my 30 odd years fishing hemp has been a uniform, useable size and now its the size of marrowfat peas. Someone enlighten me please!.

Ricky24

Rich
Sound like tares to me. Have you tried pet shops mate? I got a 20kg bag and the hemp is normal sized. Find it odd what your saying though as even tackle shops I've been in the hemp seem normal sized to me. I know you can buy giant hemp and you can tell the difference between this and normal sized but to think they are all this size where you live is very odd.

cess monkey

get down to your local pet food shop they`ll sell ungraded hemp, big and small in the same sack!

dstev

Dave
I buy my hemp ready done from the local tackle shop and my girlfriends dad buys his from the pet shop and cooks it himself. There is a huge differance in size. His is very small, like a number 8 shot, whereas mine is more like a 6 or 4 shot, so I can see he is coming from.

bream fisherman

our trade supplier provides three sizes. normal, giant and mega hemp.

to be honest the better stuff in our opinion is the normal sized hemp. easier to cook.

Thanks for that gents. Im encouraged to see that some of you have the normal sized hemp. I've used tons of the stuff over the years, usually buy it by the sack but it has to be right and there appears to be swing towards this big grained stuff at all the tackle shops I visit, I even go the the main supplier in Rotherham and his is just the same. I've resorted to riddling the smaller grains off and usin g these, the big grains are great for hooking, but If you are going to catapult hemp it has to be uniform in size or else you end up with a situationwhere it starts landing just in front of you and the big grains end up all over the place.

Perhaps I could grow my own!!??

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
If you do decide to grow your own,
give me a shout if you have any bushes you want rid of

Status
Not open for further replies.