Hemp moths

Porkypig76

Hi all , I bought a big bag of uncooked hemp seed to cook up at my own leisure as and when , much to my gf dismay we now have moths and tiny caterpillar type things in the spare room.
I have since ditched the bag outside , my questions are, 1 , have I infested the flat even after taking the said bag away. 2 , how do I stop this in future ( airtight cylinder maybe? ). She’s not a happy bunny and told me I can’t keep them in the flat ?‍♂️

feldri

Site Supporter
I had this problem the year before last. Bought a load of maize flakes for blitzing into powder for groundbait from a local pet store. A week after buying, noticed a lot of very small white caterpillars tromping across the ceiling and hanging from tiny threads. When I looked at the bag it had tiny holes in where they'd eaten their way out. Then came the moths. Chucked the bag of maize out and killed all I could find of the bugs. 3 weeks later opened a box of frosties to find a load of the same. The caterpillars had gnawed their way into the carboard box and the inner bag and then reproduced. Ended up throwing everything out the cupboards that wasn't in a tin. Took me almost a year to get totally rid of the damn things. I was killing 40-50 of them every day for weeks and then it calmed down to 2-3 a day.
Answer to question 1. Yes
Answer to question 2. Buy tinned hemp

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Moths or their larvae can do a lot of damage to fabrics but weevils are the worst as they can chew their way through cork handles amongst other things.There are many types of insect that can very quickly infest open sacks of pellet,hemp, groundbait so its best to store all these things in sealed plastic tubs.