HEMP FISHING

BTMS

Site Supporter
Gents,

I am after salvation. Hemp fishing... I was in a match on Sunday absolutely hammered by the hemp men. I have watched videos read books practiced and practiced naff all. The location was a small river four pole sections not much flow 4-6 ft deep. I caught 104 fish for 2lb 12 top weight was 15 lb down to my lowly came 8th out of 13. Fed regularly 8-12 grains still nothing. What's your advice . Float was .4gram line Drennan 2lb hook length 1.7lb B511.

Any help would be appreciated(y)

Gents,

I am after salvation. Hemp fishing... I was in a match on Sunday absolutely hammered by the hemp men. I have watched videos read books practiced and practiced naff all. The location was a small river four pole sections not much flow 4-6 ft deep. I caught 104 fish for 2lb 12 top weight was 15 lb down to my lowly came 8th out of 13. Fed regularly 8-12 grains still nothing. What's your advice . Float was .4gram line Drennan 2lb hook length 1.7lb B511.

Any help would be appreciated(y)
How long was your rig? Need minimum top 4 maybe 5, to search the swim, had you cupped any hemp in first? To get a bed to loose feed over? What rig line? Needs to be ø.12 Max , and ø.08 hook length, B511 is fine?

david white

Site Supporter
In all fairness you had all the help ( and the best available to suit your particular requirements ) around you during the match. I know it will go against the grain ( no pun intended but .......... ) having a mooch along the bank to look for yourself will give a far better insight than a months worth of replies

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Don't think you need salvation, just a bit of something or other :)

Where I live there's quite a few anglers that say they can't, or don't/ won't fish hemp for roach but it really isn't too mysterious, a bit fiddly yes but thats all.

What fish were in your catch, any roach ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Not really my area of expertise these days. I have, in the past done OK fishing hemp. One major thing is not to give up on it. I have known it take two hours for the fish to switch on. It is one of those baits you have to commit to 100% and basically plan to do nothing else.

Normally you have to locate where in the swim the fish are intercepting the loosefeed. That will be a combination of depth and distance downstream of where you are feeding. So some days you need a bulk down rig to keep the bait near the deck while holding back hard. Other days a strung rig so when holding back the bait lifts to midwater or drags along the deck when run at full pace. You may find the fish directly under where the feed enters or a few yards downstream.

Remember that the water at the very bottom will hardly be moving while the surface may be moving fairly quickly. So how you control the float can have a big impact on presentation. Poor presentation = no bites, excellent presentation = 15lb winning weight. I am willing to bet it is presentation that is the biggest difference between 8th and 1st place.

You may need to run the float at pace, inch it through, hold back hard for a few seconds or a minute. All of these and anything in between will produce more bites on any given day.

I always preferred a 16 B511 as this meant plenty of hook showing. I also pierced the stalk end of the grain I was hooking and passed the hook through the hole. I used a needle set into an old disgorger to pierce the grain.

You say 1.7lb line but what diameter is this? Depending on line there could be a 25% difference in diameter. May not sound much but who knows if the thicker line may put the fish off? And how long is your hooklength?

If you can, get a day out with a good hemp angler. Pay their breakfast and ticket and hopefully they will share their knowledge. Tackle shop will probably know who is willing to do this.

Somersetlad

feed a few grains of hemp and corn, little and often,then fish single grains of corn, you won't get the small stuff, but the bigger ones make up for it

JR Hartley

I’ve also never got my head round it,I fish with some amazing small fish anglers who fish hemp a lot and put some cracking small fish weights together, bit like yesterday I got my Butt handed to me on a plate still got the hump about it now

richox12

104 fish for 2-12-0 ? Less than 1/2oz each. So they weren't hemp fish then ?? And I assume the 15lb wasn't similarly made up of 1/2oz fish but better 'stamp' fish ?

4' - 6' with not much flow. To me that needs a light strung rig - probably 4x12 (about 0.25g) with No 10 shot strung out (you can move them around and the float up & down to locate the depth the fish are at) and a hooklength of no more than 0.08mm (the 1.7lb in my old memory would be 0.10mm and maybe even 0.12mm which for hemp fishing is way too thick but OK as the mainline). A B511 in an 18.

If it's cl;ear then use a slightly longer line to keep the pole tip away from the fish and don't get into the habit of running the rig and hence the pole right down the swim. You'll end up chasing the fish away. Once you locate where they are in relation to your feed then only run the rig to there and try and keep the pole away. You may well end up fishing shallower and shallower as 8-12 grains fed regularly can make the fish follow them up looking for more. If your original 0.4g rig was bulked then maybe you simply fished BELOW the feeding fish. When you're getting 'bites' and missing them just try shallowing up little bit by little bit until you connect with a bigger percentage. It's not uncommon to end up fishing 2' deep in 8' of water - but this is mostly dictated by your feeding,.

BTMS

Site Supporter
How long was your rig? Need minimum top 4 maybe 5, to search the swim, had you cupped any hemp in first? To get a bed to loose feed over? What rig line? Needs to be ø.12 Max , and ø.08 hook length, B511 is fine?
Yes I did cup a handful at start rig line I had 2 set ups Drennan tough 0.012 and Preston reflo 0.09 hook lengths were 0.10 and 0.08

Thank you

BTMS

Site Supporter
Don't think you need salvation, just a bit of something or other :)

Where I live there's quite a few anglers that say they can't, or don't/ won't fish hemp for roach but it really isn't too mysterious, a bit fiddly yes but thats all.

What fish were in your catch, any roach ?
A few roach lots of vv small dace and chublets

BTMS

Site Supporter
Not really my area of expertise these days. I have, in the past done OK fishing hemp. One major thing is not to give up on it. I have known it take two hours for the fish to switch on. It is one of those baits you have to commit to 100% and basically plan to do nothing else.

Normally you have to locate where in the swim the fish are intercepting the loosefeed. That will be a combination of depth and distance downstream of where you are feeding. So some days you need a bulk down rig to keep the bait near the deck while holding back hard. Other days a strung rig so when holding back the bait lifts to midwater or drags along the deck when run at full pace. You may find the fish directly under where the feed enters or a few yards downstream.

Remember that the water at the very bottom will hardly be moving while the surface may be moving fairly quickly. So how you control the float can have a big impact on presentation. Poor presentation = no bites, excellent presentation = 15lb winning weight. I am willing to bet it is presentation that is the biggest difference between 8th and 1st place.

You may need to run the float at pace, inch it through, hold back hard for a few seconds or a minute. All of these and anything in between will produce more bites on any given day.

I always preferred a 16 B511 as this meant plenty of hook showing. I also pierced the stalk end of the grain I was hooking and passed the hook through the hole. I used a needle set into an old disgorger to pierce the grain.

You say 1.7lb line but what diameter is this? Depending on line there could be a 25% difference in diameter. May not sound much but who knows if the thicker line may put the fish off? And how long is your hooklength?

If you can, get a day out with a good hemp angler. Pay their breakfast and ticket and hopefully they will share their knowledge. Tackle shop will probably know who is willing to do this.
Rig line 0.12 and 0.09 hook lengths 6inch 0.10 and 0.09 river was nearly at a stand still and wind was blowing up river

Thank you

BTMS

Site Supporter
104 fish for 2-12-0 ? Less than 1/2oz each. So they weren't hemp fish then ?? And I assume the 15lb wasn't similarly made up of 1/2oz fish but better 'stamp' fish ?

4' - 6' with not much flow. To me that needs a light strung rig - probably 4x12 (about 0.25g) with No 10 shot strung out (you can move them around and the float up & down to locate the depth the fish are at) and a hooklength of no more than 0.08mm (the 1.7lb in my old memory would be 0.10mm and maybe even 0.12mm which for hemp fishing is way too thick but OK as the mainline). A B511 in an 18.

If it's cl;ear then use a slightly longer line to keep the pole tip away from the fish and don't get into the habit of running the rig and hence the pole right down the swim. You'll end up chasing the fish away. Once you locate where they are in relation to your feed then only run the rig to there and try and keep the pole away. You may well end up fishing shallower and shallower as 8-12 grains fed regularly can make the fish follow them up looking for more. If your original 0.4g rig was bulked then maybe you simply fished BELOW the feeding fish. When you're getting 'bites' and missing them just try shallowing up little bit by little bit until you connect with a bigger percentage. It's not uncommon to end up fishing 2' deep in 8' of water - but this is mostly dictated by your feeding,.
Yes they were punch caught then last2 and half hours hemp.. now going to re-tie rigs

Thank you

BTMS

Site Supporter
I’ve also never got my head round it,I fish with some amazing small fish anglers who fish hemp a lot and put some cracking small fish weights together, bit like yesterday I got my Butt handed to me on a plate still got the hump about it now
It hurts especially when a shiny on is involved:cry:

JR Hartley

I seem to have a mental block when it come to hemp, feed it yes but hook it no chance and over the years it’s cost me big time.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Rig line 0.12 and 0.09 hook lengths 6inch 0.10 and 0.09 river was nearly at a stand still and wind was blowing up river

Thank you

Try a hooklength of 12, even 15 inches. and go well overdepth holding the float still/inch it through. With an upstream wind there may be more flow than you realise.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Thank you all. Rigs sorted hemp in prep. So hopefully will catch will give up date after fishing tomorrow Just sticking to hemp all day(y)

HALTON DANGLER

from the off feed only hemp seed and nothing else, start of with maggot on the hook and you will get bites by just going this. Once you start to get the odd better stamp of coming begin trying tares on the hook, still feeding only hemp. No bites back over to maggot. What you will find is all of a sudden you get bangs on the tare, as above it may take 2 hours it may be instant its all on the day.

The maggot will see you get bites regardless of feeding any maggots during the session. Another sign is to check the mouths of the roach you catch, a good sign they are on the hemp is them spewing up hemp funny enough lol.

Be prepared though the bites on hemp and tares can be rapid and you will think only small fish till you hit one and its over a pound lol