hemp fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish finder

callum
will be fishiung with hemp tommorow. there was a man there today fishing with just his top kit and was catching well on hemp, alot of roach-about 30lb.
just wondering about shotting patterns, hook paterns ect.

fish finder

callum
Originally posted by fish finder

will be fishiung with hemp tommorow. there was a man there today fishing with just his top kit and was catching well on hemp, alot of roach-about 30lb.just wondering about shotting patterns, hook paterns ect.
i meant 30lb of roach not 30lb roach[:D]

fish finder

callum
i had a go on the hemp and had alot of roach up to about 1lb and a hybrid also about 1 pound.
it was a better day than what i thought it was going to be.

CrunchyCaster

I use Stotts in place of shot when seed fishing, it cuts down on the false bites. Hooks are personal preferences, i'm happy with Kamasan B520 size 20, been using them for years with no probs, they are also a good hook for Tare over the hemp.

bigdavewsf

Fishing with hemp is one of my methods and will catch you fish right through the year, it is a great attractor of most fish (bream being the exception) and I use it to lay down a carpet of feed often in conjunction with another bait such as meat, corn or casters.

You can of course use hemp on its own on the hook and I will use it when after roach, it does though take time to work a swim to get the best out of it I will feed a swim for at least an hour before starting to fish it.

I use a fine tipped float when fishing with hemp as the bites can be quite shy at times but the size of float is dependent on the depth of water and any flow or drag i have 2 rigs set up, one with a lightly shotted rig strung out and the other a more positive bulk rig with a couple of droppers, i used to use styles but now use stotz to help prevent line bites ( the fish mistaking the round shot as hemp).I start off on the strung out shot pattern but change over to the bulk to get to them quicker if I feel the fish are on the deck.

float.jpg

I prefer to feed a swim with a catty rather than a pole mounted pot when hemp fishing, I feed a pot to start then flick over 10 or so grains every 30 seconds .It is a simple way of fishing , it is a case of feed and then lay the rig out in the feed, trying to keep the feed going in the same spot every cast so as not to draw the fish away.

There are a couple of ways of hooking hemp, you can simply look for a grain that has just started to split , give it a gentle squeeze at the 2 pointy ends and the split will open slightly allowing you to push the bend of the hook into the split and when you release the pressure the split will close again gripping the hook, you need to make sure that there is plenty of point showing and i tend to use a fine wire (so the split isnt opened too far causing it to fall off) size 18 hook for hemp, it is though quite delicate and you will find the bait coming off quite a lot either from casting in or bites.

hookedhemp.jpg

A more secure way that is better when you are bagging up is to pierce the shell at the end, if you look closely you will see a small indentation ,It is quite hard but by firmly push the point of the hook into this indentation, and have the split facing the point, as you feed the hook round the point will come out of the split, hooked this way you can often catch several fish on the same bait saving you time, you have to watch the point of the hook as it can blunt off eventually you can pierce the indentation with a needle prior to hooking it to help alleviate this, it is a much better way of hooking hemp when fishing it on the rod rather than the pole as it can withstand a much harder cast.

indentation.jpg

indenthooked.jpg

indenthooked2.jpg

I have found that 99% of the time hooked just in the top lip making unhooking easy, the paranoia that the bait has fallen off the hook is the main reason that people are reluctant to try it on the hook, you can use other baits on the hook when fishing hemp, tares used to be quite common, they are like big hemp but soft skinned allowing you to hook it traditionally, elderberries also used to be popular as again you can hook them in the traditional way and they closely resemble a grain of hemp

ELDERBERRYS.jpg

elderberryhooked2.jpg

tarehooked.jpg

There is artificial hemp available now and in the past Ive used a small black bead tipped with tippex but to be honest Ive not caught much on it( nothing at all on the artificial).this may be helped if it was dipped in hemp oil to give it an oily slick that the real hemp gives though if you look at the comparison picture its also a bit bigger than proper hemp

atrificialhemp2.jpg

comparison.jpg

artificial.jpg

artificialhooked2.jpg

Preparing hemp

I use Andersons hemp as I feel it gives consistent results when preparing it but mainly because its what they sell in my local tackle shop, its comes in normal and the larger Chilean size, I simply place the required amount in a pan and cover with plenty of water and bring to the boil, lower the heat down till its simmering and leave it covered till I see the seeds starting to split, i then turn off the heat and leave covered in the pan till the morning. This works much better if you can soak the hemp prior to boiling it, some people dont like the smell of hemp cooking but Im the boss in our house and my bird doesnt say anything, but if it is a problem and your under the thumb you can buy tins of ready prepared hemp that is excellent quality, you can also cook hemp smell free using a wide necked flask, again put in the required amount and cover with boiling water, screw the lid on and it should be done in the morning, it might be a good idea to use a spare flask just for doing this rather than one you will be drinking coffee from in the future

hemp soup

i sometimes like to feed what i call hemp soup, its simply hemp put through a blender so it forms a soft slop, that falls through the water leaving an lovely oily hemp smelling trail, simply stick the required amount in a blender with the juices from cooking it and let it have a blast for a few minutes, leaving you with a grey mush with lots of bits in that can be cupped in and fished over the top of

blender2.jpg

intheblender.jpg

mush.jpg

griff06

Site Supporter
Some good advice there big Dave,will give the hemp soup a try,thanks

rushyefc

aka kingslynn
another way to use help if grounbait is banned

put dry hemp in a blender then use a sive to get all the shells out

you will have the powder then put the powder in a bait tub cover it with boiling water then leave it over night then you can use it the next day as feed instead of groundbait

it works well

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
I fish rivers mainly and the good old Hemp and Caster combination fed little and often works a treat. Generally red maggot on the hook but if minnows are a problem caster works well too. I haven't tried hemp on the hook mind i think ill have to give it a try once the season re-opens.

Where you fishing for 30lb of roach fish finder[?] thats not something you see much these days.

T1Cybernetic

I think i will give that hemp soup a blast at the weekend, i normally buy crushed hemp because i never really thought of doing it up myself ;) Tons cheaper too with the amount of hemp i use!!

big bream

scott
theres a venue on my club waters where this timeish last year i was fishing the wag getting the roach going on maggot then switching over to corn then the bigger roach moved in i tryed it last week end nothing big no response on the corn i spoke with the bailife he said a regular guy came down during the week fishing the top 3 on hemp n tares and was getting dog roach why is this method so much more productive any ideas ? ? i will persist with this on my next visit

fish finder

callum
Originally posted by bigdavewsf

Fishing with hemp is one of my methods and will catch you fish right through the year, it is a great attractor of most fish (bream being the exception) and I use it to lay down a carpet of feed often in conjunction with another bait such as meat, corn or casters.

You can of course use hemp on its own on the hook and I will use it when after roach, it does though take time to work a swim to get the best out of it I will feed a swim for at least an hour before starting to fish it.

I use a fine tipped float when fishing with hemp as the bites can be quite shy at times but the size of float is dependent on the depth of water and any flow or drag i have 2 rigs set up, one with a lightly shotted rig strung out and the other a more positive bulk rig with a couple of droppers, i used to use styles but now use stotz to help prevent line bites ( the fish mistaking the round shot as hemp).I start off on the strung out shot pattern but change over to the bulk to get to them quicker if I feel the fish are on the deck.

float.jpg

I prefer to feed a swim with a catty rather than a pole mounted pot when hemp fishing, I feed a pot to start then flick over 10 or so grains every 30 seconds .It is a simple way of fishing , it is a case of feed and then lay the rig out in the feed, trying to keep the feed going in the same spot every cast so as not to draw the fish away.

There are a couple of ways of hooking hemp, you can simply look for a grain that has just started to split , give it a gentle squeeze at the 2 pointy ends and the split will open slightly allowing you to push the bend of the hook into the split and when you release the pressure the split will close again gripping the hook, you need to make sure that there is plenty of point showing and i tend to use a fine wire (so the split isnt opened too far causing it to fall off) size 18 hook for hemp, it is though quite delicate and you will find the bait coming off quite a lot either from casting in or bites.

hookedhemp.jpg

A more secure way that is better when you are bagging up is to pierce the shell at the end, if you look closely you will see a small indentation ,It is quite hard but by firmly push the point of the hook into this indentation, and have the split facing the point, as you feed the hook round the point will come out of the split, hooked this way you can often catch several fish on the same bait saving you time, you have to watch the point of the hook as it can blunt off eventually you can pierce the indentation with a needle prior to hooking it to help alleviate this, it is a much better way of hooking hemp when fishing it on the rod rather than the pole as it can withstand a much harder cast.

indentation.jpg

indenthooked.jpg

indenthooked2.jpg

I have found that 99% of the time hooked just in the top lip making unhooking easy, the paranoia that the bait has fallen off the hook is the main reason that people are reluctant to try it on the hook, you can use other baits on the hook when fishing hemp, tares used to be quite common, they are like big hemp but soft skinned allowing you to hook it traditionally, elderberries also used to be popular as again you can hook them in the traditional way and they closely resemble a grain of hemp

ELDERBERRYS.jpg

elderberryhooked2.jpg

tarehooked.jpg

There is artificial hemp available now and in the past Ive used a small black bead tipped with tippex but to be honest Ive not caught much on it( nothing at all on the artificial).this may be helped if it was dipped in hemp oil to give it an oily slick that the real hemp gives though if you look at the comparison picture its also a bit bigger than proper hemp

atrificialhemp2.jpg

comparison.jpg

artificial.jpg

artificialhooked2.jpg

Preparing hemp

I use Andersons hemp as I feel it gives consistent results when preparing it but mainly because its what they sell in my local tackle shop, its comes in normal and the larger Chilean size, I simply place the required amount in a pan and cover with plenty of water and bring to the boil, lower the heat down till its simmering and leave it covered till I see the seeds starting to split, i then turn off the heat and leave covered in the pan till the morning. This works much better if you can soak the hemp prior to boiling it, some people dont like the smell of hemp cooking but Im the boss in our house and my bird doesnt say anything, but if it is a problem and your under the thumb you can buy tins of ready prepared hemp that is excellent quality, you can also cook hemp smell free using a wide necked flask, again put in the required amount and cover with boiling water, screw the lid on and it should be done in the morning, it might be a good idea to use a spare flask just for doing this rather than one you will be drinking coffee from in the future

hemp soup

i sometimes like to feed what i call hemp soup, its simply hemp put through a blender so it forms a soft slop, that falls through the water leaving an lovely oily hemp smelling trail, simply stick the required amount in a blender with the juices from cooking it and let it have a blast for a few minutes, leaving you with a grey mush with lots of bits in that can be cupped in and fished over the top of

blender2.jpg

intheblender.jpg

mush.jpg
thanks for that mate, thats all i need to know[:T]

hemphead2

hemphead2
yeah you cant beat hemp and tare fishing with your top 3, with dog roach up in the water.they virtually hook themselves.love it[:D]

Last edited:

getfishing

Pete
Couldn't I just as easily fish hemp and tares with a rod and reel under the rod tip and throw the bait in?

bigdavewsf

Originally posted by 10slacky

Bigdave do you ever fish the hemp lying on?

yes i tend to start off with a bulk shotted rig, but will switch over to a strung out shot as the session progresses and the fish come up in the water to meet the bait

Status
Not open for further replies.