Hemp and tares

Fartacus

I've been flogging my guts targeting big bream and after two months only had two doubles now
have decided to get back to basics and fish for roach with hemp and tares....

Any tips would be great please..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I did a lot of hemp fishing (over a dozen sessions) for roach back in July with a reasonable amount of success by standards. I fish straight hemp on an 18 on the waggler (I only use tares as a change bait) and just fish it tripping or just off the bottom with no dropper shot save for a no.8 above the hooklength (obviously dependant on your rivers flow) then feed before or after every cast or both with a pinch of hemp after an initially heavier bombardment to get them tuned into it. Best to fish 2 or 3 lines as well as the fish tend up move about rather than blindly staying on your original line. Steady paced 4-7ft of water with a touch of colour seems the best bet. It’s easiest when you can get the feeding about a foot off the bottom but not essential.

Here’s a couple reports I did of a couple of my successful sessions. Shows what I did and where I was etc and there’s some good tips from others amongst them.

Edit - forgotten I had also done a full campaign summary thread as well.

Last edited:

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I won many a match on the demon seed in my club days. Great baits and and under used. Always fishied it in the same manner. Plumbed the pole floats so the very tip was flush with the water, used a colmic spearlak in the day. Would feed hemp with a few tares slghtly downstream and run the float through. Constant feeding would get indications and a second rig fished off the bottom would come into play if I was missing bites. Worked on thre trent, Severn, bargate drain, Witham, Sibsey Trade and all along the Stainforh and keadby canal. GreT days put the one that sticks in my mind the most was teaching my lad on the Aire and Calder canal. He beat those around him with ease weighing in nearly 16lbs of roach. The blokes either side were speechless

MarkW

I've settled for fishing tares most of the time, just feeding hemp. Tares are easier to hook and I use very few in a session. Easily cooked overnight in a flask with an iron tablet and a bit of bicarb of soda.

I like fine wire size 16 hooks (barbless if the weed is OK) tied to fine line eg 0.09mm.

Some of my videos have hemp and tares fishing eg Early season fishing on the Stour or Roach on the Hants Avon or Weirpool dace and roach fishing or Big Roach 2

A lot of hemp and tares fishing is about confidence and practice; my first ever attempt back in 1975 was a Thames size limit match at Medley when I drew next to Thames legend Chris Love and got battered due to a lack of knowledge yet I had a good roach that day (just wish I'd persevered through the match) but eventually I started to get bags of roach on hemp and then tares on various waters and love to fish it on the Stour. A couple of times this week I've been filming on the Stour, not really bothered about the catch but still catching some decent roach and dace on tares. Last year they stopped working early due to the floods (end of Sept), but most years I find it works well into October.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I agree about the confidence element. Sadly it was a closed shop when it came to info in the 80's, in my circles at least. Match fishing rarely ran an article on the subject so the only thing to do was practice. Unlike now where forums and youtube offer a lot.
IWhen you have faith you can even win winter league matches using the combination, although just hemp works. In my box was a battered wire stemmed float that I used to put an hole in the bottom of a seed. the hook ws just pushed through the hole and several fish could be had on the same grain. Of course a tare was tried now and then, and by luck, a larger stamp of fish could be caught. Another dodge on sometime would be to flick the pole float upstream and check the line when it came under the pole tip, this more often and not so a bite on a very short run down. I profess to be no more than a good club angler but I enjoyed using more adverse baits in matches and if my rambles are useful then great, if not they are a good trip down memory lane

mbuna_matt

This has been a great read thanks guys! I was so intrigued by the seed I spent the last week on the Thames fishing hemp, tares and elder berries. Been a bit of a surprise / revelation, I've fished the peg (@end of mums garden..) since I was 7 (now 50+) and I was catching chunky roach every run down.

They were never there on maggot........

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
This has been a great read thanks guys! I was so intrigued by the seed I spent the last week on the Thames fishing hemp, tares and elder berries. Been a bit of a surprise / revelation, I've fished the peg (@end of mums garden..) since I was 7 (now 50+) and I was catching chunky roach every run down.

They were never there on maggot........

Definitely sorts out the proper roach doesn’t it. You get very few little ones on it mostly good uns that build a good weight pretty quickly. I’m sure they are always there just other baits aren’t as selective whereas with hemp the vast majority of the time it’ll be a decent roach on the line :)

A peg in you mums garden sounds idyllic btw!

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
How good is that. Come home from work, walk down the garden and fish for a few hours. Absolute heaven.

mbuna_matt

It can be brilliant...... but on the flip side not a lot of house work / work gets done when I'm there. lol

adriang

Site Supporter
A bit of a dump pf my exploits.

Only caught for the first time on hemp and tares this year, but have had a 7 or 8 sessions on the Thames, all bar one I caught pretty well. I've fished the stick, pole and the last session I fished the waggler, while my mate opted for a whip. (peg was below a weir, strange current close in and I forgot my nets, so sat side by side, one line each).

IMG_5776.jpeg

Watched Marks videos with interest, my last visit, the waggler session (my first with hemp/tares) I fished quite heavy due to lazyness. I started on maggot 1/2 way across, plagued by bleak before coming in to about 1/3 and fishing hemp and tares, and not bothering to change my float. I found I needed to let bites develop, maybe I was actually missing bites as a result. 3 x 8s down the line, a lot of depth tinkering, the fish seemed to be drifting in and out of the swim for us both. Neither of us hooked into pike this session, so not sure that was the cause.

Prior sessions, stick would be shirt button shotting, on the stick, I rarely use heavier shot than 8's unless its to bulk, preferring to bunch them if needed. I also have all shot in the bottom 1/2 except the depth marker.

Pole, first few times, I only used an olivette bulk with 3 or 4 8's below, but more likely 8-10 inch spacing rather than 3-4 inch. I found that I seemed to be getting better fish deeper when switching between pole and stick. I did try a lighter 'typical' hemp rig on the pole once, but seemed to get better fish deeper.

Hooks, I've not gone larger than an 18, either Drennan fine wire or Maver katana (I think Italian hooks tend to run a bit larger). Fishing mate was using a 16 preston (don't know what model) and we were both catching.

Bait, I've taken advice from here, tares in a flask overnight with an iron tablet that had been soaked for about 12 hours (they swell up about 25%). I cook them in the water I've used to cook my hemp which I heat up in the microwave before pouring in the flask. Have to say that so far, they are not all black, I need to figure that out. Once cooked, I separate them into small plastic containers and freeze them. Again advice from here, freezing, taking to the bank and refreezing seems to make the skins tougher.

I've started to just mix some tares into my hemp when on the bank, and then pick hookers from that mix. I've not seen much difference between black or brown tares. At the end of the session, I'll take leftover hemp and tare home, freeze and reuse.

Hemp on the hook, my experience is that there doesn't seem to be much difference, catching on one, I can change and still catch. Not catching, a change has not switched them on, that seems to be for the regular feeding.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
What do you think the chances are of catching a pike on a grain of hemp ? Only Nicky Dodds could do that. What are the chances ? It must have been a Vegan pike. 😆

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I did once apparently hook a pike on a tare once. I suspect there may have been another fish involved at some point but if so it was soon gone yet the tare remained. Have had more than one perch on corn as well.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've been flogging my guts targeting big bream and after two months only had two doubles now
have decided to get back to basics and fish for roach with hemp and tares....

Any tips would be great please..
Nice little write up in this weeks AT if you’re interested pal. 👍 6CFD6C99-1447-4FBE-BC43-2C02E73FEDDD.jpeg

MarkW

I scoured the elderberry bushes on the way to the river on Sunday; only one bush had any berries at all and there were so few I didn't bother. Had plenty of roach on tares though.