Hemp and tares on the Trent

Dogbert

Evening session on the Trent with the float rod and a trudex centrepin loaded with 4.4lb floatfish, and a 4BB stick float shotted shirt button style..

A warm evening, a light breeze rustling the leaves on the trees opposite and kingfishers darting up and down the river. The fish were keen on hemp tares and caster. Landed 27 Roach, Dace and Perch. the best roach was 14oz. (pictured). Most of the fish required the landing net and were plump and in good condition.

The swim was 8ft deep and I missed loads of bites, even when holding back and quite a few fish were bumped off.

Wondering about using a pellet hook rather than a size 16 kamsan 911. Would it reduce the number of fish bumped off when using tares on the hook?

20210701_194516.jpg 20210701_194516.jpg

ravey

Glad to see you caught a few. Well done. I usually use either a Mustad 90340 in size 16 or a B511 in a size 18. As long as you get the fish feeding confidently, you shouldn’t bump many off. You’ll always lose a few; that’s just roach for you! Just nick the tare on. I feel that if the hook is able to separate from the bait, then the hook hold is more secure. Hope this helps. I’m off to the Trent tomorrow to see how I get on.