Hemp and corn

Macca81

I’ve had a lot of success using the bait tech hemp and corn over the summer months, has anyone used it over the winter? The winter league I’m fishing is all carp and 90% of the time it’s all maggott , anyone used hemp over the winter or would they switch off it as they do with pellets?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I will use hemp at any time, as a feed, but never had much luck with corn in the colder months, tares, I have never caught on after October:(

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No experience of hemp but I catch on pellets all year round. Yes some extreme days maggot outscores pellet but 99% of the time I will catch on pellet.

Macca81

Thanks Dave, never used hemp over winter but have caught using corn before. Cannot pleasure fish the lakes so no chance to try it other than wasting time in the match if it’s not going to work

Macca81

No experience of hemp but I catch on pellets all year round. Yes some extreme days maggot outscores pellet but 99% of the time I will catch on pellet.
Nearly all the weights come to maggot over the winter, odd times can catch on expanders but very few on hard pellet

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I feed hemp all year but have never caught with it on the hook later than October or earlier than March. Very rarely use corn but I’d say more less the same about it based on my limited use of it.

Total

Site Supporter
If your winter league is on the same venue(s) you've enjoyed summer success using hemp and corn, surely it must be worth feeding them somewhere in your peg in the winter but in much smaller amounts as a recognised food source?.....Obviously as a change bait as you've said it's mostly maggot fishing.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When do you change from banded 'hard' pellet to expanders mate? Or is that the fish's decision?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Roughly when the water temp gets below 10-12. That's about the same as the fish disappearing from the margins. I will marry that with using lighter rigs and trying corn skin.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hemp and Corn are still taking good fish on the club waters, but give it a couple of weeks and they won't want to know.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
only time i use hemp is in the winter for roach, on club waters there isn't much need for hemp during the summer months as its all pellet/meat/corn/paste

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Rarely go to a match at any time of year without both hemp and corn (except that I see hemp is banned in the Maggot Drowners F&F match at Alders Farm this year).
Hemp and maggot (or casters) is a deadly combination for barbel in particular. I think fish may be attracted out of instinct to the oily effect of putting in hemp, even if they are not hungry.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As my most used bait I take maggots with me on at least 95% of my sessions but I consider hemp almost as important, I'd say it comes with me on a good 80% of my sessions. It may only work as a hook bait at certain times of the year but I rarely want to be without in as a loose feed as it just seems to pull in almost any species.

Fred Davis

Hemp and corn can be brilliant and I have seen this work on the glebe around March April time armed with around 6 tins of hemp and a couple of corn feeding mainly hemp with a dash of corn big potting could be deadly, however you need to know that this method is working on a fishery as I wouldn't like to try this in the proper winter months.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Won a Christmas knock up at Smithys in Brigg using this method. Only used half a tin though. Had bigger carp than those using pellet or maggot. Also won on the black stuff on a snowy Ancholme. If you don’t try you will not know. Going to try it at Caistor lakes on Sunday...