Help with Split Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lid

When I stopped fishing in about 1988, lead shot had only just been banned.

Now I've started again I am having trouble fixing shot safely to my line. BB's give me the most grief. AAA's and swan go on fine over a small piece of silicone tubing.

With BB shot I pick the thinnest silicone tubing I can get onto my 2 - 4 lbs mainlines, but they just won't stay put. The springiness and width of the tube seems to be the problem, even though the shot are very deep cut. If I attach them straight to the line, however carefully, they crush it, risking losses. [:0]

Please help me, because stick float fishing with a string of swan shot or AAA is not much fun on my small local rivers. [:D]

Thanks

norm

i would try some diferant shot mate
mine just go on to the line the same a lead did
(it comes in a red tub if that helps (dont know its name)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never had any problems with Dinsmore shot, give it a try Leighton [:)]

Dave

norm

yes that one is spot on ,just checked i have some of that shot,
and have neeeeeee botha

angler-mark

Leighton, I use Dinsmore shot like dave, but I also use olivette's on my rigs for trotting or still waters. I use them because they are easier than shot and because you attach them with sleeves they do not crush your line. They also get the bait down quickly to where you want it. Try them and see what you think. [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

scouse carp

Yeah give dinsmore a SHOT (pardon the pun) is quality and soft as well!![;)]

If you are first you are first, if you are second you are nothin - believe you are the best and then make sure you are! - Bill Shankley

Lid

Thanks for the quick advice folks. It makes sitting here at work much more interesting.

I'll get some Dinsmores then and look at olivettes. Mark, will it be obvious how to use the olivettes? [?]

fishing_mad

get the drenan polemaster olivettes they are the best and they are simple to use i think it shows you on the back of the pack if not ask youre local tackle dealer

:)Fishing Mad:)

angler-mark

quote:I'll get some Dinsmores then and look at olivettes. Mark, will it be obvious how to use the olivettes? [?]

Leighton, they are very easy to use. Just cut 2 bits of silicon tube that is supplied with them and thread it up your line and insert the olivette in top and bottom, that's how easy it is. [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Lid

Cheers

I just went to the tackle shop this lunch time and bought some new shot. I'll try olivettes another time.

They actually recommended Middy twin cut Xtra soft and they certainly felt quite a bit softer than the Dinsmores, so I got the Middy's. [8D]

I'll let you know how I get on with them, but I won't be able to try them till the weekend, cos I'm not allowed out tomorrow. That's what comes of going fishing twice over Christmas.

It might be my line that's the problem. I bought it in 1978 in bulk! It still has the right strength, but maybe it's too soft and easily damaged. I've got some new stuff to try, but it's still cheapo bulk from Mullarky's Direct. [?][?][?]

Last edited:

Larry

Lazarus
Leighton i'd Definatly bin that line it's a bit old to be using now Especially that is bulk line from mullarkys i bought some years it turned to be rubbish.for stick float fishing i use the Drennen float fish line.

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

martin.

Account Locked
hi
dont forget to cut the silicon so that it protrudes just past the ends of the olivetes it will save the risk of the line tangling

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Lid

Hi Larry

Most of the old line's gone now, but do you mean I shouldn't use the new Mullarky's bulk line which I bough this summer (except as backing)? [?][?][?]

Martin, the olivettes put me off a bit cos the line passes round the outside of the ones we've bin talking about and makes me feel off balance.

Thanks for all the advice folks, it's bin a great help and I haven't even got down the river yet!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERIONE

Leighton

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:do you mean I shouldn't use the new Mullarky's bulk line which I bough this summer (except as backing)?

I've been using Mullarky Bulk Line for several years now and value for money it is excellent and also breaks at or near the strength stated.
As with all mono lines, keep out of sunlight and it should last a while. Also change the line on your reels once a season and you should be fine

Off for a few bevvies now so be good [:D][:eek:)]

Dave

carper2002

'Ronnie'
DINSMORE is very good bud i got a load free with
improve your coarse fishing (when i subscribed to it)

RONNIE (carper2002)

Status
Not open for further replies.