Help with shotting

Sportsman

Site Supporter
As I get older it becomes more difficult to attach split shot to line. A combination of reduced feel and pins and needles in my fingertips and poor eyesight.
I am trying to tie some pole rigs and I am struggling to fix 6 and 8 shot to 0.16 line.
Anyone know of a gadget or any hints or tips to make it easier?
Thanks

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Switch to these, much simpler and easier to put on the line.

Reading glasses and engineering pliers or proper dedicated stotz plier help

alsur

Site Supporter
I switch to stotz for my pole rigs and use stotz applicator find in it very easy, I use flat nose pliers for shot I have dinsmore auto shot, it's quite good but I find flat nose pliers or style pinchers easier.

Fred Davis

some shot can be quite tricky to put on thick lines, why you are using non toxic shot in a size 6 is strange and these should be no problem to put on the line, browning split shot in a size 8 have a wide split and are very easy to put on lines up to 0.20

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Switch to these, much simpler and easier to put on the line.

Reading glasses and engineering pliers or proper dedicated stotz plier help

Thanks, I've just ordered some (y)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
As others have said...long nosed jewellery pliers & stotz. Much easier.
Also - regarding the Dinsmore Shot Applicator @Neil ofthe nene - it now comes in 11's as well.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
all those advocating pliers for barrel shaped split weights - honestly ... the tool that I linked to is so much more efficient.
You don't have to worry about the pressure that you apply between picking up the weight and applying it to the line. Much better for numb fingers.

I believe that the design was first marketed in angling by Image in 1992.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter

not In stock so you may need to try somewhere else ... but these are the dogs danglies for styl & stotz type weights.
not so great for round shot.
Alex, I've always used engineering pliers designed for component assy on circuit boards. Had them 30 yrs and they fit in my palm like a glove. I'd be lost without them for nipping barbs, shot and even getting big barbed hooks out, although it's rare when I use barbed hooks now
:)

Fred Davis

Richbox, the sportsman said he was tying pole rigs, even for rivers I would use doubled up no 8's rather than non toxic shot and on my commercial pole rigs I have never ever used non toxic shot as there is no need to go above a no 8 stot or shot, however at the end of the day it's a personal choice, I have used the larger non toxic shot for pellet waggler work but not for pole rigs except a flat float.