HELP with river bream

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher

hi would appreciate some advice on baits and groundbait mixes too get bream in a slow in frequent flowing river thanks.

stu f

Try to take a walk on the evenings and see if you can spot anything showing,if you do pre-bait the area.I usually pre-bait with brown crumb and a fishmeal based additive with pellets,corn,casters and dead maggots.Make an early start especially this weather.
hope this helps mate and tightlines.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have known bream ignore maggot and only take caster. so I would say definately caster in the groundbait and on the hook.

Also don't ignore chopped worm in the feeder. It can attract bream over of other species.

For groundbait I use Supercup and brown crumb 50/50.

Last edited:

Polecup

Yes, I am a
Big Bream love worm and corn. Feed a bed of Brown crumb and caster with a few grains of corn, then fish a good sized lobworm and corn on a size 12/14 hook.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Pre-bait with Vitalin, Layers pellets, hemp and a few halibut pellets.

On a 4 day trip I use around 75-100kg of bait on the thames but you wont need anywhere near that amount on a smaller river. I fish corn on the hook and keep the bait going in with a whopper dropper catapult.

bream dream

up the Villa.
as stu f said have agood walk up and down the stretch you are going to fish,early doors or last knockings,the bream will show you where they are.

fishmeal based groundbait,with micro pellet/corn/maggot/caster.try a bit of everything till you get a bite,don't overlook pellet as a hook bait.

how deep is the river?

irish-bagger

i am a bit warey of using fishmeal based ground baits where there are pike/perch about as in my mind i think it will attract the unwanted,just an opinion of my own.

flyfisher

the river is about 4 - 5 foot deep and i went on opening day and saw atleast 200 bream feeding aswell but no matter what i put in front of them they wouldnt take no one else caught mucheitherr

svenc

London Blanker NOT
They may have just finished spawning. They never seem in the mood for eating for a while after.

flyfisher

yeah was very strange they were feeding though watched em routing around n the bottom

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Possibly preoccupied with the natural food sources then. As the water is warming up the larvae etc are all coming to life.

If we knew all the answers fishing would be too easy.

bream fisherman

Bream catches tend to get bigger the further thru summer and into autumn we get. My best catches always seem to be around september time.

You'll still catch em now though. i've always found sweetcorn and worms to be the best baits for rivers, over a heavy bed of groundbait laced with chopped worm, small pellet, caster, sweetcorn, and stewed wheat.

doesn't mater which type of groundbait you choose just make sure there's plenty gone in at the start as a bream shoal can hoover up a massive amount of bait in a couple of hours. we usually start a session by chucking in a couple dozen or three jaffa orange sized balls when on the river. bream don't like bait falling on their heads. put it in at the beginning then only in a feeder after that.

like Svenc we use about 70kg to 100kg over three nights when we fish the big rivers.

Fishnets

It might be they were feeding on some natural food after spawning, getting certain essentials back inside them and would ignore other stuff. On some of my local stretches of the thames the bream can go beserk topping first light and really snatching at bait. Often though it takes a while after spawning for the bream to start feeding properly and taking baits on the rivers, often everybody has a bad opening of the season for bream. Wouldn't worry about using fishmeal (bream love it) and turning perch on as getting them feeding might give competion to the bream and they may start too?
Try small baits over lots of particles on a long tail length, they do seem to love filter feeding at the start of the season(try a slightly bouyant fake caster which will waft up with the other small bits).
Apart from that, sit back watch the fish, enjoy the sun and quiet river, and hope!

flyfisher

cheers again guys and fishnets you got it in one i wouldnt have wanted to be anywhere else on opening day and i did spend most of my time watchin the bream carp and perch at an aquaduct gives you a great view. Hope you all have a good river season !

svenc

London Blanker NOT
My 200-300lb catch came in september on the thames. Im agreed its not as busy this time of year but you will still catch. Fish are not stupid and are very much seasonal in both bait selection and habits. Once you have mastered these variables at different times of the year then your sorted.

Fishnets

I'm gutted, absolutely flat out at work at the mo, can't get out till mid next week

flyfisher

my locals busy at the mo not usually dont like it busy aha rivers arent supposed to be like that aha

Simon R

Site Supporter
If the river you're fishing is anything my local (the Tees) you may well find the bream will only realy feed with a vengence when there's a bit of extra water in the river.

Since they built the barrage on the river it barely flows in normal conditions - ideal for the bream to multiply and grow but it also makes it difficult to catch them in any numbers since they don't need to expend a great of energy to combat the flow and therefore feed infrequently.

When there's rainfall though the river doesn't rise a great deal (in the lower reaches anyway) but the flow increases dramatically. The bream therefore need to swim against the flow and therefore feed far more confidently in order to replace the energy they've expended.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.