Help with Rig for River Fishing Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Can someone tell me the best rig for quiver tip fishing on rivers and also a site with diagrams on how to set them up.

Thanks in advance

[:)]

Datafile2.gif
Happiness is playin wif yer rod

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Al,

I have found a couple of rigs useful when tipping on rivers but the flow and target species are the most important consideration on which i use at the time.

Rig 1 A paternoster rig with a tail of 3inches to the feeder or bomb and a hooklength of between 1ft and 4ft.This i use on slow sluggish rivers for bream and small fish like roach and perch.If i am getting sucked maggots or smashed casters without seeing the bite on the tip shorten the hooklength until you do.

Rig 2 for faster/medium flows.

Place a swivel inside a loop and tie 2 more smaller loops so you end up with 3 loops.The larger loop containing the swivel.Attach a feeder/bomb to the swivel and hooklength to the smallest loop.Shorten hooklength as in rig depending on bites.

Cannot help with rig diagrams but maybe someone else can.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Al,

Two types of rig are generally used, first the running rig consisting of a leger-stop and a link swivel with either a feeder or bomb on:
(and you asked for pictures [8D])

Or similar but using a small 3-6inch link atached to a swivel:

Next comes your rod position.
Three ways, either facing upstream, facing downstream or skywards beach-caster style.

Facing Upstream is not a very good method when fishing rivers as your line will be lifted by the flow and bite indication is generally poor. Plus you'll need more weight to hold bottom:

Facing Downstream is better as you'll need less weight because the water flow holds the line down rather than lift it up and bite indication is better:

Finally in realy fast or wide waters try and keep as much line out of the water as possible by having the rod facing skywards

Hope this helps,

Dave

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Keith, the loop method you mention is a tether rig. If the line snaps a fish is left towing the bomb.
A straight foreward running leger like Dave suggests takes some beating.
Using a leger stop allows all most instant adjustment of the hook length and if a snap link is used to attach a bomb or feeder then this to can be changed quickly.

chill out go fishing

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Thanks very much Indeed for that guys i'll try the running one tommorow thanks again

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Esox,

Although i agree with what you say re tether rig i forgot to mention that I ALWAYS use a lighter BS for the hooklengths.I have not found it to be a problem and not snapped off before.I have had the hooklength go but never the line above the large loop.Perhaps I have been lucky and not connected to anything big enough to cause it to go but i will think about changing to "Daves Rig" next time i go out.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Dont forget that your deliberatly making several weak points in your main line due to the number of knots you have to tie to make the 3 loop leger rig. I appreciate what your saying about the lighter hooklink but sods law applies. Rather than risk any problems I prefer not to use the 3 loop method.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.