Help with renovation of an old rod?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Can anyone tell me the best way to get a set of rings off a float rod. It's the old Daiwa Team x that I broke earlier in the year. The rings are like new but are very well put on, probably by a machine of some kind? Thanks all Richard.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
run a stanley blade at an acute angle but at 90 degrees to the seat of the ring and continue up its length, whatever whippings is left just peels off

satinet

Site Supporter
From what I've seen the eye is tacked to the blank with a spot of glue. The whipped on with a nylon thread then the thread is impregnated with epoxy resin.

I don't think there is much alternative than to cut the guides off. I don't think you can really heat it because the blank is made of epoxy (and carbon) as well.

adriang

Site Supporter
From what I've seen the eye is tacked to the blank with a spot of glue. The whipped on with a nylon thread then the thread is impregnated with epoxy resin.

I don't think there is much alternative than to cut the guides off. I don't think you can really heat it because the blank is made of epoxy (and carbon) as well.
Probably the glue was there to hold the guide legs down while whipping. Could be superglue, but I'd try some gentle heat and if its epoxy, it will loosen really easily, before the rod is effected by the heat. If it's superglue, should crack off as its generally brittle.

Might be useful: