Help with finding a (commercial) fishery to catch big carp in the Winter ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Latest update:

I was going to go to Larford today, but a phone call to check the rules told me that there was a Festival there this week - so no day tickets.

Instead I fished a local CWP pit this afternoon with uprated gear to see whether I could get bites reasonably quickly, despite the heavy tackle.

I set up a 12ft 2.25test carp rod with 15lb mainline and a 14lb fluorocarbon hooklink. Hook was an old Fox series 2 size 8.

I tried a 3 swan waggler which was nowhere near heavy enough with that rod and line combination - so I was restricted to fishing about 3 rods out. The swim was about 8ft deep at that range.

Groundbait was soaked flaked maize and then double sweet corn on the hook. Basic stuff !

I had 3 roach straight away about 8oz each and then a tench of about 3lb.

Next bite produced a carp of 16.02 after a decent scrap, but one that I was always in charge of with the heavy gear. An absolutely mint common.

I then lost what felt like a tench before netting another carp at 4pm. This one was another classic common and slightly bigger at 19.08

So a useful afternoons experimentation with several lessons learned. I need much bigger floats (and/or thinner line) to enable longer distance casting. Loaded floats would probably make things easier (less shot to worry about).

The easy bit was landing the fish after I’d managed to actually get bites on that strong gear. maybe I can think about slightly lighter rods Possibly barbel style 1.75 ish rods and 10/12lb line.

Still very much work in progress...
Fascinating stuff, they sound like lovely commons.

I reckon you are probably onto something with the barbel rod idea, even spinning rod could work but barbel rod probably better. With a big loaded truncheon style waggler perhaps. It’ll be interesting to hear your results as you go forward. I’ve always been intrigued with the idea of big carp on the float as opposed to the traditional borderline beach casting style.

squimp

Site Supporter
It seemed okay. The first roach took on the drop and the bite felt like a quivertip pull round ! The tench and carp bites were totally normal and not aggressive takes, I managed to connect reasonably quickly.

The sticking point is the casting.

Will try and post more pics later, the fish were gorgeous.

satinet

I was going to say Boddington Reservoir has loads of doubles. Pretty easy to catch on the float there. E.g sweet corn or pellets. Although you may need to fish the slider if it's deep. The lake is a level reservoir for a canal I think.

There were some cracking roach in there. I think they get overlooked due to the carp but they can be a nuisance. However the carp are pretty big in there and there is plenty of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I was going to say Boddington Reservoir has loads of doubles. Pretty easy to catch on the float there. E.g sweet corn or pellets. Although you may need to fish the slider if it's deep. The lake is a level reservoir for a canal I think.

There were some cracking roach in there. I think they get overlooked due to the carp but they can be a nuisance. However the carp are pretty big in there and there is plenty of them.
Think it was boddington that a guy in my club won a match with 70lb of roach a few years ago with something like pushing 300 of them!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'd say with 15lb line and a 2.25lb rod the combo is a little unbalanced for casting a float... maybe drop the line to 10lb or a high tech low diameter 12lb with a mini big pit style reel to get better casting results

rudd

Site Supporter
And I thought 8lb line using specimen /avon rods was heavy!!!

@squimp - no idea how you are fishing the float? Shallow, on bottom, on drop, fixed, sliding etc.
But no matter how sounds like you need heavier floats - big loaded.sliders or drennan skuds will both help with casting.

Arry

Site Supporter
The old big wagglers from the embryo days of Wag/Mag would certainly do it... 7-15 gram floats... they don't work too well on shallow water, as they dive too far on landing... maybe a float fitted with a popper disc would do the job

squimp

Site Supporter
Thanks for the float suggestions - all good ideas.

Im well aware that 3SSG isn’t quite what a 2.25test rod was designed for ! The final (winter time) plan is to fish close to the bottom, almost certainly not shallow. I wouldn’t dare fish the place like this in the summer - it is too weedy. I’d get myself banned.

My problem (such as it is) is that fishery I plan to fish once I have the set up sorted has a 15lb minimum mainline rule. So I’m working backwards from that. Maybe it just isn’t going to work quite right. Big reel, thinnest (stretchy) 15lb line I can find and a tip action 2lb test rod is probably about the best I can manage.

We shall see. A couple of really big commons on a float would be pretty special.

squimp

Site Supporter
Yesterdays fish.

16.02 with scales, 19.08 without. Both unmarked.

Attachments

• P1030668.JPG
    P1030668.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P1030670.JPG
    P1030670.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 6

satinet

If you can bank them with 15lb on a bolt rig I would think it will be just as good on a waggler.

Tbh I only use 8 lb at Boddington on the method/pellet feeder and expect fish up to 20lb no probs on 1.5lb TC rods. Not a snaggy water though.

satinet

Think it was boddington that a guy in my club won a match with 70lb of roach a few years ago with something like pushing 300 of them!
It doesn't surprise me. There are some good sized ones in there. Probably do well on all the carp feed.

I used to catch them well on sweet corn but eventually you tend to get a carp which takes ages to get in on a float rod.

Arry

Site Supporter
Have a look at Daiwa Hyper sensor quite thin and not as brittle as some low diameter mono's... tis about the same diameter as a normL 12lb mono