Help with finding a (commercial) fishery to catch big carp in the Winter ?

squimp

Site Supporter
I never thought I‘d ask this question.

Where can I go and have a realistic chance of getting bites from big (double figures and up) carp In cool water conditions on running line tactics ?

i know almost nothing about commercial fisheries - so it will be a learning experience.

i live near Cirencester (glos) so even with my limited knowledge of commercials, possible places I’m aware of include Viaduct (2 hours south), Clattercote (1.5 hrs north east) and maybe Larford (1.25 hours north).

Local fisheries include Ivy House and Tockenham, but I’ve never fished either of them.... so I don’t know if they have the right credentials.

Any other contenders please ? I can fish in the week if that is a consideration; to avoid weekend matches etc etc.

The reason for the question is that I’ve just read the ‘Rising antenna’ book and have come up with a potential plan to target really big carp on a particular specimen fishery with uprated match tactics. But before I try it; I need some practice on more sensible sized fish. The idea revolves around Targeting fish on waggler or maybe pellet waggler that are not necessarily bottom feeding.

Any pointers gratefully received.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Only fished speci lake at Larford and that was solid with doubles. I caught on worm fishing for the Bream.

buygoodtackle

Larford is a good bet, about 45min to an hour away, Viaduct in the other direction would be the other one I would go for (Cary's)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Plenty of comfortable doubles at Clattercote, feels like a proper water there as well save for the topsy turvy stocking of seemingly way more carp than anything else lol

Simon65

Ivy house - have a look on their face book page - lots of carp to low doubles .
viaduct is a bit further and would also be v good

squimp

Site Supporter
Thanks for the help.

I can catch low doubles locally (Cotswold water park) so that still leaves Larford, Viaduct and maybe Clattercote as favourite for bigger fish...

Any more suggestions please ?

nejohn

Site Supporter
The carp lakes at Cefn Mably between Cardiff and Newport hold some very large fish, high teens and twentys come out very regularly with 30's being a very good possibility... Unfortunately it is in an area that is currently in lockdown

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A bit farther away.
Interesting list there only about 3 of them I’d describe as specimen lakes where a 30 would be realistic 20s would be good fish from the rest.

Clattercote and Milton are the best bets of those for what the OP wants with fernhill and pimilico having the fish but not so much in the winter as are more natural in their stock levels. The latter is unfortunately syndicate as of this year which is a real shame as it’s the best roach and perch water around here and a good surface carp water as well so is by far my favourite Stillwater.

squimp

Site Supporter
Thanks for the further suggestions.

Some of the Linear lakes might be potential targets for the finished version of the set up I’m going to work on. Oxlease would be an obvious one. The major target is a CWP syndicate.

For the test phase Clattercote or Larford still look like the front runners.

PS A quick couple of hours this morning on a local pit produced one common of about 11 lb. Good fun, but not quite the stamp of fish I’m after.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
If you fancy a trip to Wales this is up the road from me.

And this one.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Cob house, on Chesnut pool has a lot of double figure carp which feed all through the winter, and if a bit slow has plenty of 3lb to 4lb Bream

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Flaxlands fishery near Wootton Bassett have some biggish carp. Not sure of the exact size, but might be worth a look. They have a web site.

Keith Sparky

Mathern Mill near Chepstow has 2 lakes that were both heavily stocked with Carp about 15 years ago. Initially they were typical commercial fisheries but the fish are now very big in both lakes. The first lake where most matches are held has lots of Carp to 24lb with loads of doubles. The fishery manager tries to move the larger carp into the 2nd lake which is getting more and more a speci-lake and biggest is reportedly over 30lb with high doubles and plenty of 20`s very common. Last time I fished it a few weeks back on match gear I had 9 fish with the smallest 11lb up to 18lb so use strong match gear or proper carp gear. They have a facebook page with more details. £10 a day for 2 rods or £8 for one. There are some silvers in both lakes as well.

squimp

Site Supporter
Thanks Again for the further suggestions.

I will definitely checkout the place near Chepstow (Covid permitting) it sounds very promising.

squimp

Site Supporter
Thanks. I’m aware of the SCAC waters; and fished many of them back in the day.

squimp

Site Supporter
Latest update:

I was going to go to Larford today, but a phone call to check the rules told me that there was a Festival there this week - so no day tickets.

Instead I fished a local CWP pit this afternoon with uprated gear to see whether I could get bites reasonably quickly, despite the heavy tackle.

I set up a 12ft 2.25test carp rod with 15lb mainline and a 14lb fluorocarbon hooklink. Hook was an old Fox series 2 size 8.

I tried a 3 swan waggler which was nowhere near heavy enough with that rod and line combination - so I was restricted to fishing about 3 rods out. The swim was about 8ft deep at that range.

Groundbait was soaked flaked maize and then double sweet corn on the hook. Basic stuff !

I had 3 roach straight away about 8oz each and then a tench of about 3lb.

Next bite produced a carp of 16.02 after a decent scrap, but one that I was always in charge of with the heavy gear. An absolutely mint common.

I then lost what felt like a tench before netting another carp at 4pm. This one was another classic common and slightly bigger at 19.08

So a useful afternoons experimentation with several lessons learned. I need much bigger floats (and/or thinner line) to enable longer distance casting. Loaded floats would probably make things easier (less shot to worry about).

The easy bit was landing the fish after I’d managed to actually get bites on that strong gear. maybe I can think about slightly lighter rods Possibly barbel style 1.75 ish rods and 10/12lb line.

Still very much work in progress...