Help with Feeder setup

DaveRob

Site Supporter
Hi All, New to the forum but not new to fishing. I have restarted my interest after years away from the sport as I picked up a Guru 4M whip... The best £16 I every spent on fishing.... Just add bait , and a landing net that I already had, and catching fish from the get go. Now I'm looking for a feeder setup.... rod, reel, terminal tackle etc. Its likely been done to death and I see all sorts of recommendations going through the search but Ill narrow it down a bit. I'm not looking at big distances.... maybe between 30 and 50 yards, realistically 40 yards max. Not looking at specimen size fish but might like to catch something low double figures just because I have never caught anything that size before.

So what's worth a waggle... Ill throw a few that I'm interested in, just from my own research and then its a case of finding one for a waggle I suppose

Drennan Acolyte Plus 10ft
Preston Supera.... know nothing about this one
Free Spirit... always seem to get a good press
Guru.... Quality products but pricy but then quality never low cost.

2 last things.... what range of terminal tackle will I need, weights and types of feeders to start me out. Hook Lengths, Ill keep the baits simple to start lets say maggots, pellets and groundbaits ..... unless you might suggest different?

And a chair.... my back is about the same as 90% of the fisherfolk on here so thought the Preston Innovations 36 but they are like hens teeth, I would want to have the rod rests and landing net tool bar, but do think something with a back rest might suit me well.

Thanks for listening and appreciate comments

DaveRob

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
For 30 to 50 mtrs, you need an 11ft rod, minimum, I can recommend you a few 11ft’er and 11ft6 rods.
Free spirit ctx 11ft feederlite £140ish
Browning silverlite Yens kosnick feeder 11ft6 £100
Preston supera 11ft6 £170 ish

OldTaff

Site Supporter
For that distance I use an 11’ rod and achieve 50m comfortably used 8n conjunction with a 45g Preston inline method feeder or some other equivalent.

I‘m in the process of migrating all my feeder and bomb gear over to the Preston ICS inline system and I’m wondering why it took me so long to do so. Swapping feeders for size or weight to a straight lead or maggot feeder even takes seconds

You don’t mention what fish but try a method feeder with a groundbait such as Sonubaits Method Match Marine with a 4” hooklength to a size 14 Guru QM1 tipped off with a banded pellet or wafter - on that you can catch carp, tench, bream, skimmers and roach if they are in the lake

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
@DaveRob if you can make it down to Leeds on Saturday I will take you out for a day on the feeder. Just turn up and I will bring the gear. Alas I do not have a chair so you will be on a Preston inception box.
I came back to fishing a couple of years ago now, but only last year started on the feeder. I bought badly initially but now have rods and reels I am happy (ish) with.
The good lady Munch has the Guru 10' feeder and whilst it is nice, and she loves it, it's not in the same league as other slightly more expensive marques.
Personally "Free Spirit" is the one to get and had I had this knowledge before hand I would have plumped for this : Free Spirit CTX Multi Feeder Rod and is about a tenner more expensive... No brainer!
Mine are all Tri-Cast Excellence but more and more I find myself looking at the Free Spirit Hi-s range that are a whole load of cash :eek:
Regarding Feeders etc, just go for the Preston ICS range. Dead easy to use and makes life so much simpler. The distances you mentioned I would suggest the large 30g Banjo XR. Once loaded with pellets / groundbait it is more like 45-50g and will easily reach those distances once you quoted once you learn to cast.
There is no magic wand, you have to put the hours in. But the rewards are worth it. (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Feeder fishing is only something I do when needs must so there will be much better placed people to help than me but a general idea of predominant species and types of venue will help people advise.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Can’t help with a chair as I use a match box with a feeder arm & gripper butt rest but there are lots of chair threads on here .

DaveRob

Site Supporter
@DaveRob if you can make it down to Leeds on Saturday I will take you out for a day on the feeder. Just turn up and I will bring the gear. Alas I do not have a chair so you will be on a Preston inception box.
I came back to fishing a couple of years ago now, but only last year started on the feeder. I bought badly initially but now have rods and reels I am happy (ish) with.
The good lady Munch has the Guru 10' feeder and whilst it is nice, and she loves it, it's not in the same league as other slightly more expensive marques.
Personally "Free Spirit" is the one to get and had I had this knowledge before hand I would have plumped for this : Free Spirit CTX Multi Feeder Rod and is about a tenner more expensive... No brainer!
Mine are all Tri-Cast Excellence but more and more I find myself looking at the Free Spirit Hi-s range that are a whole load of cash :eek:
Regarding Feeders etc, just go for the Preston ICS range. Dead easy to use and makes life so much simpler. The distances you mentioned I would suggest the large 30g Banjo XR. Once loaded with pellets / groundbait it is more like 45-50g and will easily reach those distances once you quoted once you learn to cast.
There is no magic wand, you have to put the hours in. But the rewards are worth it. (y)
Hi @MunchMyStump that's a very considerate offer many thanks, but my plans this weekend are to take my grandson of 6 out for his first fishing adventure with the Guru Whip I bought. Cant wait till he catches his first one :) . Lots of recommendations for the Free Spirit here so ill see if I can get to check one out in the coming days. The other recommendations seem to suggest the Preston ICS feeders so that's next on the list.

A great welcome to my first post and lots to consider but feeling a bit more advised now so many thanks to all who took time to comment.

Cheers all

DaveR

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As an aside I’d also be buying a float rod before a feeder rod. The vast majority of people will fish a float (whether that be on a rod or pole) a lot more often than they will a feeder on most venues.

DaveRob

Site Supporter
As an aside I’d also be buying a float rod before a feeder rod. The vast majority of people will fish a float (whether that be on a rod or pole) a lot more often than they will a feeder on most venues.
Hi @Silverfisher I had bought a float setup after trying out some rods, ended up with Drennan Acolyte Plus and have a 3000 size reel. Am really enjoying all this now, far more than I did all those years ago. The whip though...... that was a revelation, £16 and fishing in minutes, I only got it as we were away in the camper and stopped at a place with fishing lakes. Bought the whip and was instantly catching. If anyone wants an introduction to this sport this is the one thing I would recommend. No faffing about, everything is rigged all that's needed is bait, disgorger, landing net and mat and you are instantly catching.... its what I'm taking my grandson out with at the weekend and I cant wait to see his face when he hooks one. Will be even better than Mrs Robs face when she took 3 on her first ever go lmao.

Thanks for all the help DaveR

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Hi @Silverfisher I had bought a float setup after trying out some rods, ended up with Drennan Acolyte Plus and have a 3000 size reel. Am really enjoying all this now, far more than I did all those years ago. The whip though...... that was a revelation, £16 and fishing in minutes, I only got it as we were away in the camper and stopped at a place with fishing lakes. Bought the whip and was instantly catching. If anyone wants an introduction to this sport this is the one thing I would recommend. No faffing about, everything is rigged all that's needed is bait, disgorger, landing net and mat and you are instantly catching.... its what I'm taking my grandson out with at the weekend and I cant wait to see his face when he hooks one. Will be even better than Mrs Robs face when she took 3 on her first ever go lmao.

Thanks for all the help DaveR
It’s how I started my son at 4 - at 6 he’s now very competent with a short pole (4.5m) or top kit plus 2 and is getting to grips with a float rod but with a closed face reel as the casting is simpler.

Hope you and the grandson bag up (y)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Nice setup there, which version did you get? I'm assuming the 10-12'? Use the 2g carbon tip right now as takes are savage.
If you fancy a day out just let me know and I will help as far as my knowledge goes (y)

DaveRob

Site Supporter
Nice setup there, which version did you get? I'm assuming the 10-12'? Use the 2g carbon tip right now as takes are savage.
If you fancy a day out just let me know and I will help as far as my knowledge goes (y)
Yes 10-12. Will have. ago and sort some time but im concentrating on bringing some new blood, grandkids, into the sport :)